Why modern leaders need to cultivate humility

Cypress

"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
Humility: Why modern leaders need to resurrect this ancient virtue

The U.S. is suffering an epidemic of narcissism, fueling a rise in loneliness and despair. Empirical evidence supports what ancient wisdom declared — that humility is transformational and beneficial.

Many ancient thinkers have written about the dangers of arrogance. The Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius warned against losing one’s modesty in The Meditations. Saint Augustine called pride the “origin of evil” in The City of God. Confucius said, “A superior man is modest in his speech but exceeds in his actions” in The Analects. Finally, the classic: “Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.” Proverbs 16:18.

And yet, history remembers the greats and the conquerors, not the meek or the mild. CEOs and celebrities become icons for their charisma and grand lifestyles. Even ordinary people have become locked in a spiral of one-upmanship — endlessly outdoing each other with larger houses, sportier cars, and more luxurious vacation photos clogging up social media feeds.

Is humility truly a virtue, or were the ancients as wrong about it as they were witches and dragons living on the edges of the map?

To find out, we spoke with Daryl Van Tongeren, an associate professor of psychology at Hope College and the author of Humble.

The U.S. is suffering an epidemic of narcissism, fueling a rise in loneliness and despair. Empirical evidence supports what ancient wisdom declared — that humility is transformational and beneficial.

Many ancient thinkers have written about the dangers of arrogance. The Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius warned against losing one’s modesty in The Meditations. Saint Augustine called pride the “origin of evil” in The City of God. Confucius said, “A superior man is modest in his speech but exceeds in his actions” in The Analects. Finally, the classic: “Pride goeth before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.” Proverbs 16:18.

And yet, history remembers the greats and the conquerors, not the meek or the mild. CEOs and celebrities become icons for their charisma and grand lifestyles. Even ordinary people have become locked in a spiral of one-upmanship — endlessly outdoing each other with larger houses, sportier cars, and more luxurious vacation photos clogging up social media feeds.

Is humility truly a virtue, or were the ancients as wrong about it as they were witches and dragons living on the edges of the map?

To find out, we spoke with Daryl Van Tongeren, an associate professor of psychology at Hope College and the author of Humble.

Good luck with that.

Humility may be lacking, but in my very strong opinion,

probity, rectitude, dignity, and decorum

are all lacking even more.

Having class
has become an obsolete attribute.

Having class (as Nifty noted) and being humble now take a very, very, very, very distant second to "what's in it for me" these days.

Too bad for us...for humanity.

But as BP indicated, good luck changing that.

Humility may be lacking, but in my very strong opinion,

probity, rectitude, dignity, and decorum

are all lacking even more.

Having class
has become an obsolete attribute.

Confucius made a big deal out of relentlessly practicing ritual custom and decorum, because he thought it contributed to moral cultivation.

Confucius made a big deal out of relentlessly practicing ritual custom and decorum, because he thought it contributed to moral cultivation.

I must admit to never having known or studied the gentleman,
but I often wonder about the accuracy
of all of the fortune cookie quotes.

I have met inanimate, golden versions of the Buddha many times,
and I trust him
because he seems to hold exercise and dieting
with the same contempt that I do these days.

Having class (as Nifty noted) and being humble now take a very, very, very, very distant second to "what's in it for me" these days.

Too bad for us...for humanity.

But as BP indicated, good luck changing that.

Humility seems to have served Jimmy and Rosylyn Carter well.

I must admit to never having known or studied the gentleman,
but I often wonder about the accuracy
of all of the fortune cookie quotes.

I have met inanimate, golden versions of the Buddha many times,
and I trust him
because he seems to hold exercise and dieting
with the same contempt that I do these days.

I've read the Analects and I've read a lot of fortune cookies, and I don't think in general the pithy quotes published in cookies are really from Confucious.

The fat Buddha isn't really The Buddha, but it's still a good vibe anyway!

I agree humility is necessary however culture and social media tell people they are the most important thing. This is why Christianity especially is dwindling. Jesus is a servant king. That's repugnant to modern man

I agree humility is necessary however culture and social media tell people they are the most important thing. This is why Christianity especially is dwindling. Jesus is a servant king. That's repugnant to modern man
Christianity is growing in the world, particularly in Asia and Africa. Some people think that if immigration from the global south to the US continues to grow, the Catholicism of the global south will result in some resurgence of Christianity in USA.

Capitalism and materialism can often lead to alienation. Marx was wrong about a lot of things, but that is something he was right about. Temperance and humility are virtues one has to really work at

Christianity is growing in the world, particularly in Asia and Africa. Some people think that if immigration from the global south to the US continues to grow, the Catholicism of the global south will result in some resurgence of Christianity in USA.

Capitalism and materialism can often lead to alienation. Marx was wrong about a lot of things, but that is something he was right about. Temperance and humility are virtues one has to really work at

People have always had to work at humility but it's been made worse by American culture that teaches people to believe they are the most important thing on the planet. Some people actually seem to believe the rest of us give a zhit what they had for breakfast. Even the term "influencer" says it all. If people are influenced by idiots like that then we're doomed.

Back