Why Teddy scares GOP on Healthcare reform.

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
This is why Teddy Kennedy was such a pain in the ass to the GOP, ultra-conservatives, neocons....and why they are shitting their pants at the prospect of his death being a banner cry for healthcare reform:

Teddys death may be the best hope for passing meaningful health care reform.
I think it may be the death knell.. Seriously, besides people on the coasts, the sentiment towards Kennedy is not positive. Saddling it with the Kennedy name will not help for those in the "flyover states" and may simply make the conflagration worse.

Teddys death may be the best hope for passing meaningful health care reform.

you know, that's pretty sad....to acknowledge the proposed bill lacks public support but to hope it get's foisted on the public due to misplaced sentimentality shows a cynicism that bodes ill for America.....

I didn't like Kennedy because he was a shitty human being and an embarrassment to the Catholic Church.

His behaviour over Chappaquidick was shitty but he certainly embraced the social justice agenda of the Catholic church. I'm not embarrassed by that but I am embarrassed by Catholics and Christians who use abortion only as the litmus test of the church's teachings.

His behaviour over Chappaquidick was shitty but he certainly embraced the social justice agenda of the Catholic church. I'm not embarrassed by that but I am embarrassed by Catholics and Christians who use abortion only as the litmus test of the church's teachings.
Most Catholics are pragmatic enough to understand that you are far more likely to convince the GOP to end the death penalty than you are to convince the Donkeys to end abortion. And social programs are part of the platform of the GOP, they aren't against the "hand up" that is a myth.

i'm all for meaningful health care reform, this current bill isn't it.
Actually arguing this particular bill is mostly a waste of time. As soon as they get back there are 5 new bills in the works ready to go into the debate. We should be thrilled that we slowed it down enough that any bill passed without the regard of the constituency will be killed in the Senate at the very least. They understand now that people are aware of this crappy tactic and they will be held accountable in this election cycle for acting foolishly.

However this bill we've argued about incessantly is not the bill that will eventually be voted for or against.

Some of the greatest reforms of the last half of the 20th century were spearheaded by the death of Kennedys. What I always thought was interesting was how the Civil Rights Act was passed in JFK's memory, but his personal diary revealed that he planned to veto it. He did more for civil rights by dying than he ever would have done by living.

I didn't like Kennedy because he was a shitty human being and an embarrassment to the Catholic Church.
they weren't embarrassed by him, I bet they loved his monthly check to the collection plate!

Say what you will about the man(and the Catholic Church has been an embarrassment on to itself lately), but he put across a lot of positive legislation that benefitted you and yours.

you know, that's pretty sad....to acknowledge the proposed bill lacks public support but to hope it get's foisted on the public due to misplaced sentimentality shows a cynicism that bodes ill for America.....

The bill (or at least the proposals that we are seeing to date) does have support by the majority of the people.....it's the Congress and Senate that need to acknowledge that....and shaming them into it is an old ploy that might (or might not) turn the tide.

Some of the greatest reforms of the last half of the 20th century were spearheaded by the death of Kennedys. What I always thought was interesting was how the Civil Rights Act was passed in JFK's memory, but his personal diary revealed that he planned to veto it. He did more for civil rights by dying than he ever would have done by living.

Good point.

Society is better off with liberals dead.

Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou
i'm all for meaningful health care reform, this current bill isn't it.

Actually arguing this particular bill is mostly a waste of time. As soon as they get back there are 5 new bills in the works ready to go into the debate. We should be thrilled that we slowed it down enough that any bill passed without the regard of the constituency will be killed in the Senate at the very least. They understand now that people are aware of this crappy tactic and they will be held accountable in this election cycle for acting foolishly.

However this bill we've argued about incessantly is not the bill that will eventually be voted for or against.

True enough Damo, but I put it to both of you....what is the GOP offering as a viable alternative that isn't just a version of the HMO disaster we are now experiencing?

The majority of the American public want healthcare reform.....the Dems and Obama have "bi-partisaned" down from single payer to public option. I wonder as to what's going to happen later in September when the public that elected Obama puts a fire under the Dems....what those 5 proposals will finally reveal.

Actually in US history the average amn has benefited by the deaths of the ritch and famous.

Rail safety after a bunch of rich people died in train wrecks.
Enough life boats after the titanic.
And more but I just forget at this time of night.

Back