Why the Golden Age never existed.

BidenPresident

Verified User
Perhaps no political promise is more potent or universal than the vow to restore a golden age.

We first collected 235 surveys with over 574,000 responses total and found that, overwhelmingly, people believe that humans are less kind, honest, ethical and moral today than they were in the past. People have believed in this moral decline at least since pollsters started asking about it in 1949, they believe it in every single country that has ever been surveyed (59 and counting), they believe that it’s been happening their whole lives and they believe it’s still happening today.

Respondents of all sorts — young and old, liberal and conservative, white and Black — consistently agreed: The golden age of human kindness is long gone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/20/opinion/psychology-brain-biased-memory.html

I try to look at the brighter side of things. I still believe there is still more good in the world than bad.

If America ever had a golden age, it would have been for mostly White Americans, and it would have been the 50's and early 60's, after the Korean War and before the Kennedy assassination, where we mostly all could relate to the carefree Leave it to Beaver or the Father Knows Best lifestyle in some way or another. Where we would all sit down together at the Dinner Table, where we would all gather around the TV as a family and enjoy the Ed Sullivan Show together, when good music was branching out into every direction and playing records became a family oriented pastime, when the suburbs were growing and Home ownership became a standard instead of the exception, when politics were not the Front Page News every day, when we all went to Church for whatever the reason- if not for just feeling communion or it was a great way to start the new week.

Sure there were better era's for Music, Hollywood, and Sports to come. And there were certainly better era's for our minority population in terms of progress and racial tensions but for the Majority, the 50's would have had to be the best era for many reasons.

The 60's was my favorite era of all times as that is the era I grew up mostly in the 60's and graduated High School in 1969. So I am a little biased about that.

The 60's was one fun ride for me!

Last edited:
I try to look at the brighter side of things. I still believe there is still more good in the world than bad.

If America ever had a golden age, it would have been for mostly White Americans, and it would have been the 50's and early 60's, after the Korean War and before the Kennedy assassination, where we mostly all could relate to the carefree Leave it to Beaver or the Father Knows Best lifestyle in some way or another. Where we would all sit down together at the Dinner Table, where we would all gather around the TV as a family and enjoy the Ed Sullivan Show together, when good music was branching out into every direction and playing records became a family oriented pastime, when the suburbs were growing and Home ownership became a standard instead of the exception, when politics were not the Front Page News every day, when we all went to Church for whatever the reason- if not for just feeling communion or it was a great way to start the new week.

Sure there were better era's for Music, Hollywood, and Sports to come. And there were certainly better era's for our minority population in terms of progress and racial tensions but for the Majority, the 50's would have had to be the best era for many reasons.

The 60's was my favorite era of all times as that is the era I grew up mostly in the 60's and graduated High School in 1969. So I am a little biased about that.

The 60's was one fun ride for me!

The 1960s were both very good and very bad for me.
I'll admit that there wasn't much indifferent time for me during that volatile decade.
I made love for the first time.
I went to war.

You've described a way of living for which many people have nostalgia.

Family living seems to be the default mode in the minds of many,
but it's NOT the way that everybody will enjoy life the most.
Many people--not most, perhaps, but many-- are better suited for other ways of living.

I admit that I don't believe there is more good than bad in the world.
I believe that there's much more bad than good, and that's why we appreciate the good so much.

Compare the number of people who get brutally murdered to the number who win the lottery.

Back