Will either side ever tire of predicting the death of the other political party?

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
We see the cycle over and over again, ups and downs for each party, Nixon resigns Ford loses to Carter in a landslide, for example. Many Ds predicted the demise of the R party, to no avail... The very next election landslide in the other direction. 1994... again and again the Rs began winning bringing on a new prosperity (later to be wrecked by a different kind of R gaining the WH and the loss of sanity of the rest of them as they followed a fiscal train wreck into the night) even majorities in both houses and the WH (again that fiscal idiot).

Anyway, the Rs began predicting a "permanent majority" much like the Ds are now.

I just thought I'd tell you all, there is no permanent majority and you will all promptly "forget" any such prediction in just a few short years...

We see the cycle over and over again, ups and downs for each party, Nixon resigns Ford loses to Carter in a landslide, for example. Many Ds predicted the demise of the R party, to no avail... The very next election landslide in the other direction. 1994... again and again the Rs began winning bringing on a new prosperity (later to be wrecked by a different kind of R gaining the WH and the loss of sanity of the rest of them as they followed a fiscal train wreck into the night) even majorities in both houses and the WH (again that fiscal idiot).

Anyway, the Rs began predicting a "permanent majority" much like the Ds are now.

I just thought I'd tell you all, there is no permanent majority and you will all promptly "forget" any such prediction in just a few short years...

Nothing new under the sun.

Wishful thinking Damo, it has been happening since the first election.

I only do it because I know it pisses certain righties off, which is fun.

Of course the GOP isn't dead, just like the GOP didn't have majorities as far as the eye could see a few years back. Americans really don't like one party in power.

Still, we can say little segments are dead; the Reagan Revolution, for example, just died very recently.

I only do it because I know it pisses certain righties off, which is fun.

Of course the GOP isn't dead, just like the GOP didn't have majorities as far as the eye could see a few years back. Americans really don't like one party in power.

Still, we can say little segments are dead; the Reagan Revolution, for example, just died very recently.

so you are actually saying something that you know is not true to get a reaction.....and you whine when i do it (misleading titles) :rolleyes:

so you are actually saying something that you know is not true to get a reaction.....and you whine when i do it (misleading titles) :rolleyes:

You don't really do it in the smart, knowing way I do. Your way is ill-informed and hackish, and usually unintentional.

It's good comedy, though.

Our party system has been ridiculously stable since the end of WWII. There has been one minor party person elected to the senate (a Conservative from New York who was really just a right-wing Republican challenger to the left-wing Republicans and Democrats) and no minor party people elected to the house. There have only been a handful of independents in either house.

For one party to die, we'd need a strong third party to take its place, and that's not going to be pulled out of anyones ass. I know that the Whigs and federalists both died, but after the Civil War our system stabilized to a point where no new party could compete (the Progressives and Populists faded nearly as fast as they came), and after WWII the parties started winning <95% of the vote in every new legislative election.

Our party system has been ridiculously stable since the end of WWII. There has been one minor party person elected to the senate (a Conservative from New York who was really just a right-wing Republican challenger to the left-wing Republicans and Democrats) and no minor party people elected to the house. There have only been a handful of independents in either house.

For one party to die, we'd need a strong third party to take its place, and that's not going to be pulled out of anyones ass. I know that the Whigs and federalists both died, but after the Civil War our system stabilized to a point where no new party could compete (the Progressives and Populists faded nearly as fast as they came), and after WWII the parties started winning <95% of the vote in every new legislative election.
They began making laws that made it ever more difficult to create a strong third party. They essentially protected their duopoly.

Well, there are strong third parties in Vermont (Progressive party) and Minnesota (Independent party). The Green party is also strong in a few places in California. But it seems much harder to build a strong national party.

Back