Will gas rationing occur?

"The prices that we're paying at the pump today are, I think, going to be 'the good old days,' because others who watch this very closely forecast that we're going to be hitting $12 and $15 a gallon, and then, after that, when world oil production goes into decline, we're going to talk about rationing," Robert Hirsch, Management Information Services Senior Energy Advisor said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/24725305/

"Although the Senate's recent attempt to introduce a cap-and-trade system for carbon crashed and burned when it collided with $4 per gallon gasoline, fear not. Some in Congress are fearlessly tilting at another windmill: the "windfall" profits earned by oil companies.

Unfortunately, by reducing supplies, a windfall profits tax will only lead to even higher prices. Still, if Congress really wants to "do something" about high gasoline prices and global warming, it can always try rationing.

To lower gasoline prices permanently, you can reduce demand, increase supply, or do both. Congress long ago capped supplies by proclaiming from on high: Drillest thou not offshore, nor in ANWR. The next obvious step for our solons is to cap demand by rationing gasoline, and then gradually reduce the quantity of ration coupons.

'Trading' in coupons would be encouraged to ensure gasoline is allocated to uses of only the highest value. So Congress could reserve quantities of ration coupons for key lobbyists and their clients. Environmentalists could buy up coupons and "retire" them, lowering gasoline sales even more. Refineries could continue to produce gasoline, but as consumer demand would be sharply limited (and declining), oil companies would be forced to reduce the prices they charge. No more windfall profits! And lower carbon emissions!

For legislators and environmentalists – if not average citizens – this plan has other virtues: As ration coupons are reduced, consumers would increasingly clamor for more electric cars, cars that ran on French-fry oil, and 'flex-fuel' cars that burn everything from gasoline to garbage. Eventually, gasoline could just be banned, reducing prices to zero and eliminating all ill-gotten profits.

And if Congress then had to tackle French-fry oil speculators and impose a windfall profits tax on Big Spud, well why not
?"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121340131140573813.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Not for.............

at least 200 years...unless we enter another World War...like WWII, gas was rationed for military consumption!

Well I remember in.........

Oh You do not remember only buying gas on certain days ?

The 1970's Carter was being punished by the oil companies for his complete failure as a President...and where I was located I never saw a line or rationing..it was localized! S/E US for the most part..a Peanut Farmers location...non other than Jimmy the peanut Farmer Carter:cof1:...

We traveled to New Orleans during that crisis, funny, we had no trouble except on the east coast so we stayed west coming home. In Pa they started you could only buy gas on the last number of your tag odd even and date match. I remember the roads being empty some weekends, we took the boys to Washington's crossing and had some great times. I road a bike and took public transportation, never cared. People were crazy, people were so greedy they would fill up during the day and the gas stations would empty. Amazing how quickly society can collapse. Tanks got locks. Hopefully there will be no rationing, let the market decide and the bubble bust so everyone will forget again.

yeah everyone will forget agin, only postponing the inevitable.

Thing is I am not sure this is a bubble.
If it is it will not burst , just recede a bit before growing again.

Back