Will we make it to the end of the year without attacking Iran?

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
(CBS) A second American aircraft carrier steamed into the Persian Gulf on Tuesday as the Pentagon ordered military commanders to develop new options for attacking Iran. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports that the planning is being driven by what one officer called the "increasingly hostile role" Iran is playing in Iraq - smuggling weapons into Iraq for use against American troops.

"What the Iranians are doing is killing American servicemen and -women inside Iraq," said Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

U.S. officials are also concerned by Iranian harassment of U.S. ships in the Persian Gulf as well as Iran's still growing nuclear program. New pictures of Iran's uranium enrichment plant show the country's defense minister in the background, as if deliberately mocking a recent finding by U.S. intelligence that Iran had ceased work on a nuclear weapon.

No attacks are imminent and the last thing the Pentagon wants is another war, but Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen has warned Iran not to assume the U.S. military can't strike.

"I have reserve capability, in particular our Navy and our Air Force so it would be a mistake to think that we are out of combat capability," Mullen said.

Targets would include everything from the plants where weapons are made to the headquarters of the organization known as the Quds Force which directs operations in Iraq. Later this week Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is expected to confront the Iranians with evidence of their meddling and demand a halt.

If that doesn't produce results, the State Department has begun drafting an ultimatum that would tell the Iranians to knock it off - or else.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/eveningnews/main4056941.shtml

stupid posturing.
I hope that is all it is, but with the election coming up and fear induced votes needed.

With the threat of war looming... Hillary would need to mathematically win every single contest left and the rest of the super delegates by a 65-35% margin.

She is running for 2012 right now (mccain needs to win).. and has zero regard for anything but herself.

With the threat of war looming... Hillary would need to mathematically win every single contest left and the rest of the super delegates by a 65-35% margin.

She is running for 2012 right now (mccain needs to win).. and has zero regard for anything but herself.

No seriously, what in hell does this have to do with Hillary and the dem primary?

This is a really serious subject, and to answer your question, no I don't think we will make it to the end of the year, but I don't get the connection?

HUH ?

No seriously, what in hell does this have to do with Hillary and the dem primary?

This is a really serious subject, and to answer your question, no I don't think we will make it to the end of the year, but I don't get the connection?

Because Hillary should be out of the picture by now and Obama can be focused on Going after McCain and Bush war policies.

Because Hillary should be out of the picture by now and Obama can be focused on Going after McCain and Bush war policies.

Oh, well, I do agree with that. But I don’t think anyone is going to stop the coming air strikes on Iran. Only President Obama could do that, but no matter what was going on , he wouldn’t be president yet.
I do wish that this country was talking about the lives that are going to be lost in this, including btw, American ones, because this is going to explode right into Iraq, rather than Hillary, pansies, and Rev. Wright.

God I hope your wrong. But IF the reports that are coming out there are true, I may have to agree with you. But given our country's history of supplying lies as information, we could be way off base.

(CBS) A second American aircraft carrier steamed into the Persian Gulf on Tuesday as the Pentagon ordered military commanders to develop new options for attacking Iran. CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports that the planning is being driven by what one officer called the "increasingly hostile role" Iran is playing in Iraq - smuggling weapons into Iraq for use against American troops.

"What the Iranians are doing is killing American servicemen and -women inside Iraq," said Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

U.S. officials are also concerned by Iranian harassment of U.S. ships in the Persian Gulf as well as Iran's still growing nuclear program. New pictures of Iran's uranium enrichment plant show the country's defense minister in the background, as if deliberately mocking a recent finding by U.S. intelligence that Iran had ceased work on a nuclear weapon.

No attacks are imminent and the last thing the Pentagon wants is another war, but Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen has warned Iran not to assume the U.S. military can't strike.

"I have reserve capability, in particular our Navy and our Air Force so it would be a mistake to think that we are out of combat capability," Mullen said.

Targets would include everything from the plants where weapons are made to the headquarters of the organization known as the Quds Force which directs operations in Iraq. Later this week Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is expected to confront the Iranians with evidence of their meddling and demand a halt.

If that doesn't produce results, the State Department has begun drafting an ultimatum that would tell the Iranians to knock it off - or else.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/29/eveningnews/main4056941.shtml

I think they WANT to attack iran. Whether it will happen is unknowable to me. But, I see a lot of parallels with the sales job they did on the iraq war.

Wouldn't general Bush have to get the authority of Congress to go to war. I know he side-stepped this initially with Iraq but he doesn't have that same authority now does he? Surely the congress wouldn't grant him such authority considering the debacle in Iraq.

Wouldn't general Bush have to get the authority of Congress to go to war. I know he side-stepped this initially with Iraq but he doesn't have that same authority now does he? Surely the congress wouldn't grant him such authority considering the debacle in Iraq.

Well, they already did, when they voted to declare the Iran Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. That's all Bush needs.

Why would we attack Iran? From what I am seeing (from a business perspective) they are seriously looking at alternatives to oil and energy. This 'Nuclear' issue is nothing but fear mongering. They want Nuclear for energy. They are buying up LNG and CNG like crazy as well!

"Why would we attack Iran? "

Frankly, I think war is kind of a turn on for the current admin. Bush has said that he doesn't think a President can "achieve greatness" without it, and Cheney is just one of those classic, lusty war mongerers. He's the prototypical "Master of War" from the Dylan song.

Well, they already did, when they voted to declare the Iran Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization. That's all Bush needs.
Yeah, I noted this when the vote was made but people, some on the left even, poo-pooed it...

He doesn't even have to seek a new vote.

Who precisely, on the left “Poo pooed” it?
I'd have to look it up again. I'm going off memory.

Many people kept telling me that it wasn't as big of a deal as I made it out to be. And many tried to protect HillBilly from her vote on it that way.

Back