Willful Ignorance

Cancel7

Banned
They estimate that, even taking into account that there are some differences between the proposals by Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, the impact of either on the deficit would be less than one-third that of the McCain plan.

And yet, when has John McCain ever been asked "how are you going to pay for that"? And when has anyone on this board asked that question? Yet democrats, and liberals and leftists supporting a dem candidate are asked day in and day out on this board "How are we going to pay for that?"

And Cawacko says fiscal responsibility is very important to him and that's why he's voting for McCain!!!

There is a disconnect here people, and stupidity doesn't explain it all. This is willful. You don't want to know.

3 Candidates With 3 Financial Plans, but One Deficit
By LARRY ROHTER and MICHAEL COOPER

With the national debt soaring to $9.1 trillion from $5.6 trillion at the start of 2001, in part because of the Iraq war and Mr. Bush’s tax cuts, a crucial question about the candidates to succeed him is “whether they are helping to fill the hole or make it deeper,” said Robert L. Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition, a nonpartisan organization that advocates deficit reduction. “With the proposals they have on the table, it looks to me like all three would make it deeper.”

Mr. McCain’s plan would appear to result in the biggest jump in the deficit, independent analyses based on Congressional Budget Office figures suggest. A calculation done by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington found that his tax and budget plans, if enacted as proposed, would add at least $5.7 trillion to the national debt over the next decade.

Fiscal monitors say it is harder to compute the effect of the Democratic candidates’ measures because they are more intricate. They estimate that, even taking into account that there are some differences between the proposals by Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, the impact of either on the deficit would be less than one-third that of the McCain plan.

The centerpiece of Mr. McCain’s economic plan is a series of tax cuts that would largely benefit corporations and the wealthy. He is calling for cutting corporate taxes by $100 billion a year. Eliminating the alternative minimum tax, which was created to apply to wealthy taxpayers but now also affects some in the middle class, would reduce revenues by $60 billion annually. He also would double the exemption that can be claimed for dependents, which would cost the government $65 billion.

“High tax rates are driving many businesses and jobs overseas — and, of course, our foreign competitors wouldn’t mind if we kept it that way,” Mr. McCain said, laying out his economic plan this month in Pittsburgh. “We’re going to get rid of that drag on growth and job creation.”

On the expenditure side, Mr. McCain has called not only for continuing an open-ended deployment of troops in Iraq, but also for spending $15 billion annually to expand the Army and the Marine Corps and to improve health care for veterans, among other programs.

Mr. McCain’s advisers have said the new tax cuts would be paid for by eliminating earmarks and making large spending cuts, but they have not identified specifics. And they have spoken vaguely about making entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare less costly for the government. Mr. McCain’s chief economic adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin, said the campaign had simply presented its vision of what the tax code should look like and noted that some of the proposals would be phased in.

“I think what they ought to do is remember that the proposals are going to engender economic growth, which is the best thing you can do for near-term budget improvement,” Mr. Holtz-Eakin said, adding that Mr. McCain believed spending restraint was possible.

That vision for the tax code includes making permanent the Bush tax cuts, set to expire in 2010, which Mr. McCain once opposed in part because they were not accompanied by sufficient spending cuts.

“I voted against the tax cuts because of the disproportionate amount that went to the wealthiest Americans,” Mr. McCain said in 2004. “I would clearly support not extending these tax cuts in order to help address the deficit.”

In 2001 and 2003, Mr. Bush pushed through Congress tax cuts totaling nearly $2 trillion. The first set lowered income and estate taxes, and the second focused mostly on capital gains and dividends.

The McCain campaign does not figure the costs of extending the tax cuts into its deficit projections, although the Congressional Budget Office estimates that it would cost an extra $2.2 trillion over the next decade.

When Mr. McCain outlined his tax cut plan, he backed away from his pledge to balance the budget during his first term, but said that he would do so by the end of his second term. And in an interview last Sunday on “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” on ABC, Mr. McCain said he would push ahead with his tax cuts even if Congress did not approve his spending cuts.

Some conservative economists say that increased deficits in the short run are an acceptable tradeoff for tax cuts that they say will promote economic growth in the long run. And many liberal economists say that some of the Democratic spending proposals, like addressing the affordability of health care or improving education, are long-overdue investments that pay off handsomely even if they entail more red ink.

Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton have acknowledged that their various new programs would be costly but have outlined how to pay for them. But some fiscal monitors say they may be relying on overly rosy projections of how much savings their proposals would actually yield.

Mrs. Clinton has calculated that her universal health care plan would cost about $110 billion a year, while Mr. Obama’s somewhat more modest proposal would cost up to $65 billion annually, his advisers say. Both candidates have also talked of new government incentives and investment to encourage the development of alternative sources of energy, which would cost about $15 billion a year.

The Democratic candidates have suggested that they could finance these and other programs by allowing parts of the Bush tax cuts to expire. That, however, ignores projections of the Congressional Budget Office, which has already assigned those savings to deficit reduction.

In other words, unlike Mr. McCain, both Democrats say they would revoke the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. “At a time of war and economic hardship, the last thing we need is a permanent tax cut for Americans who don’t need them and weren’t even asking for them,” Mr. Obama said.

But they would retain those reductions meant to benefit poor and “middle-class” families, which they defined as the 97 percent or so of the population that lives on less than $250,000 a year, and they would count the estimated $50 billion generated by higher taxes on the wealthy as new revenue.

“Remember, you can only use this money once,” said Mr. Bixby of the Concord Coalition, “and with all the Bush tax cuts scheduled to expire, that money is already scheduled to come into the Treasury. But on the campaign trail, this has become a source of new spending.”

Mrs. Clinton’s aides have been perhaps the most specific in explaining how they would offset the costs of their proposals, and her campaign speaks of moving toward balanced budgets. “We’re not going into debt for the war in Iraq and tax cuts for the wealthiest of Americans,” Mrs. Clinton has said, “but instead we are taking care of the needs of our people at home.”

Regarding gas taxes, Mr. McCain has proposed a one-time “tax holiday” for the summer. Mrs. Clinton also calls for suspending it in a new advertisement in Indiana, while Mr. Obama says that is a “bad idea” but opposes any increase in the tax.

On the spending side, Mr. Obama has argued that ending the Iraq war is one way to pay for some of the new programs, including creating a national infrastructure investment bank and increasing the foreign aid budget. But such savings, which Mrs. Clinton does not count on, would not immediately make their way into the Treasury, and some experts say it is not clear whether they would be sufficient to finance all the programs Mr. Obama has enumerated.

Mr. Obama has talked of spending that money on a variety of initiatives whose costs amount to about one-third of the war’s estimated annual cost of $150 billion. “It is clear that there ought to be some distinction between a candidate who says a withdrawal should start immediately and a candidate who says let’s maintain the war at the highest level,” said Austan Goolsbee, Mr. Obama’s senior economic adviser.

The fiscal outlook has been made even murkier by the explicit “no new taxes for the middle class” pledge that both Democratic candidates made at their debate in Philadelphia this month, exempting taxpayers making $250,000 a year or less from new levies.

Hearing such a promise “makes you very sad,” said Len Burman, director of the Tax Policy Center. “First of all, we don’t have enough revenue coming in to pay our bills.” In addition, he said, the notion that all the revenue that would be lost in a middle-class tax freeze can be made up by higher taxes on the wealthy “is not tenable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/us/politics/27fiscal.html?hp=&pagewanted=print

Last edited:
Yeah America already blew its chances for actual reductions in the deficit when Ron Paul was defeated.

Now the best we can hope for is minimizing damages.

McCain supporters are those individuals who will keep trying the same thing over and over and wondering why they get the same results over and over.

It blows a fuse just keep putting fuses in it one of em will hold.

Yeah America already blew its chances for actual reductions in the deficit when Ron Paul was defeated.

Now the best we can hope for is minimizing damages.

Why are we constantly told by the media and by voters, and by everybody, that the one who is the "least damaging" on this issue, is the one who is in reality, the most damaging?

Fiscally, I think Obama and McCain would be fairly comparable while Hillary would be a complete disaster.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/4/25/84227/0290/242/503167

Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:50:05 AM PDT
MSNBC has two Nobel Prize economists on right now. They were asked which of the three - Obama, Clinton or McCain - would be best for the economy, and both replied Obama.

Joseph Stiglitz, who was connected to the Clinton presidency and a 2001 prize winner, said that Obama's speech 3 weeks ago on the economy was brilliant. He also said that the deregulation of the markets during Clinton's presidency was a mistake and the markets need to be re-regulated.

Edmund Phelps, 2006 prize winner, agreed. We need a new way of looking at the economy and Obama is the one that can do that. We do not need the thinking of the past.

Why are we constantly told by the media and by voters, and by everybody, that the one who is the "least damaging" on this issue, is the one who is in reality, the most damaging?

Just goes to prove that the gosh darned liberals control the media.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/4/25/84227/0290/242/503167

Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:50:05 AM PDT
MSNBC has two Nobel Prize economists on right now. They were asked which of the three - Obama, Clinton or McCain - would be best for the economy, and both replied Obama.

Joseph Stiglitz, who was connected to the Clinton presidency and a 2001 prize winner, said that Obama's speech 3 weeks ago on the economy was brilliant. He also said that the deregulation of the markets during Clinton's presidency was a mistake and the markets need to be re-regulated.

Edmund Phelps, 2006 prize winner, agreed. We need a new way of looking at the economy and Obama is the one that can do that. We do not need the thinking of the past.

Yep we need new blood in the WH, the neither the Clinton or McCain methods are the way to go from here. Those methods were the main reason for this mess.

Many seem to think that keeping on shooting holes in the boat is the way to keep it from sinking though. Maybe they sell bullets and boats though....

Liberals control CNN, MSNBC, and CBS.

Conservatives control News Corps., and through it FOX News, The Wall Street Journal, and the Guardian.

In the USA, I'd say television media is more heavily biased towards liberals and talk-radio is more biased toward conservatives, though there are clearly exceptions within each of these.

The bias in print media tends to just depend on your region and on the publication.

Liberals control CNN, MSNBC, and CBS.

Conservatives control News Corps., and through it FOX News, The Wall Street Journal, and the Guardian.

In the USA, I'd say television media is more heavily biased towards liberals and talk-radio is more biased toward conservatives, though there are clearly exceptions within each of these.

The bias in print media tends to just depend on your region and on the publication.

LOL. Talk radio is only conservative.

That's odd.

Darla, I did a cursory look over McCain's website, and I don't see a budgetary cost estimates for his 100 year occupation of Iraq.

That's odd.

Darla, I did a cursory look over McCain's website, and I don't see a budgetary cost estimates for his 100 year occupation of Iraq.

You're so stupid. that's not what he meant. He meant we could be there a 100 years and it'd be fine with him, if, the occupied people stopped resenting us, and didn't try and kill us, and once that happened, it would cost like, nothing, for us to be there.

I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

Let's see...

Cost of continued occupation of now danger-free Iraq, once McCain takes office: One dollar and fifty cents a day.

OMG, Cawacko has been right all along! He is the most fiscally conservative. I am totally voting for John McCain.

Oh, silly me.

I always assumed that staying in Iraq would cost money. Whether people are shooting at us or not. And they WILL be shooting at us for a long time.

Superfreak and Cawacko are brilliant for supporting this form of fiscal conservatism. Just don't PAY for anything. Borrow the money from the chinese, cut Paris Hilton's taxes, and pass the debt onto our grandkids. Suckers!

Oh, silly me.

I always assumed that staying in Iraq would cost money. Whether people are shooting at us or not. And they WILL be shooting at us for a long time.

Superfreak and Cawacko are brilliant for supporting this form of fiscal conservatism. Just don't PAY for anything. Borrow the money from the chinese, cut Paris Hilton's taxes, and pass the debt onto our grandkids. Suckers!

What debt? Dude, McCain said he'll have the budget balanced by the end of his first term. I like the sound of that! And with Iraq costing only a dollar and fifty cents a day, who could doubt him?

Here's what I don't get: Osama Bin Laden's stated goal is to bankrupt America, since he knows a military victory is impossible.

Why do Bush, McCain & the Republicans love that guy so much? Why do they insist upon loving him & wanting to marry him?

Back