Woman, 90, shoots self inside foreclosed home

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/03/eviction.suicide.attempt/index.html

That's heartbreaking. But a few questions to mind:

Why did she suddenly need to take out a loan and line of credit in 2004? Was she a victim of predatory lending? Did she have insurmountable medical bills?

If any of the aboved mentioned was the case then I fully support gov't intervention in cases like this. Our seniors or anyone for that matter should not have to drain their life savings for necessary medical bills.

You shouldn't have posted this. The Republicans will be assholes and say that she deserved it.

Well, I tend to take the position that if you try to kill yourself, you deserve it.

But I have no problems with responsible social insurances and bailouts for certain situations. If she just decided one day that she wanted to blow $11k on a trip to europe, than I have a limited amount of sympathy for her and no desire to help her get out of her foreclosure.

But if its something that's a fundamental flaw in our healthcare system, a layoff or if she really was the victim of predatory lending, then something should be done to step in.

Practically everyone else in foreclosure can kiss my a$$

Well, I tend to take the position that if you try to kill yourself, you deserve it.

But I have no problems with responsible social insurances and bailouts for certain situations. If she just decided one day that she wanted to blow $11k on a trip to europe, than I have a limited amount of sympathy for her and no desire to help her get out of her foreclosure.

But if its something that's a fundamental flaw in our healthcare system, a layoff or if she really was the victim of predatory lending, then something should be done to step in.

Practically everyone else in foreclosure can kiss my a$$

Republicans should all commit suicide then, and make the world a better place. They deserve it. She did not deserve what an uncaring Republican dictatorship did to her.

Did she have her mortgage paid off by 90? Why not just go to an old folks home where you spend less and can still live very nicely?
I'm not at all saying she deserved it, just pointing out that she did have options. I am sure there are thousands or at least hundreds of other people in the exact same situation or even worse who have not commited suicide.

I'm sure the home meant a lot to her if she was that distraught, but there are people in the world who never afford a house.

Did she have her mortgage paid off by 90? Why not just go to an old folks home where you spend less and can still live very nicely?
I'm not at all saying she deserved it, just pointing out that she did have options. I am sure there are thousands or at least hundreds of other people in the exact same situation or even worse who have not commited suicide.

I'm sure the home meant a lot to her if she was that distraught, but there are people in the world who never afford a house.

She was probably depressed (a lot of old people these days are very lonely and depressed) and losing the house was the final straw.

She was probably depressed (a lot of old people these days are very lonely and depressed) and losing the house was the final straw.
I don't know a lot of old people but my general impression of the old ladies I've known is that they tend to be a lot more cheerful than the old men and largely more cheerful than younger women for that matter. But it's hard to guess in this case.

Maybe She had a child that grew up to be like Dano ?
No because then she would have had a roof under my house as Conservatives believe strongly in family.
It's you on the left who think compassion for the old means shovelling them off to wither away in a seniors residence paid for by other people's money than your own.

No because then she would have had a roof under my house as Conservatives believe strongly in family.
It's you on the left who think compassion for the old means shovelling them off to wither away in a seniors residence paid for by other people's money than your own.

yeah cons love to pay for SS and medicare and such don't they ?

You are such a dork Dano.

No I am actually very concerned about the growing social isolation the elderly and many others are experiencing. It's going to tear our society apart.

No I am actually very concerned about the growing social isolation the elderly and many others are experiencing. It's going to tear our society apart.
It's good you are concerned about it. But you have to accept that the move to a more Liberal society of government taking responsibility in more roles, including the care of seniors, that lets people feel free in letting go of their compassion and worry over seniors to the trust of the state.

Back