Would our nation be better off with a one term presidency limit?

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
I think not being beholden to the whimsical opinions of the proles may benefit us. You also wouldn't have president's worrying about their legacy, and they would all be going full throttle for the things they believe in, because they don't have to worry about re-election.

Not to mention, instead of devoting nearly an entire year to getting re-elected, you could use that time to actually be productive.

I think a single 5-6 year term for the presidency would be ideal.

I also think that government would be better off if once you occupy one political office (at least on the federal level), you cannot occupy another. This would cut down on career sycophant politicians, who use various offices as stepping stones towards greater glory, rather than being compelled to truly serve their constituents. So once you are a senator, you get one term, and you are done politically. Same for every other office.

i'm ok with a two term limit. the only thing I do not like about current politics is congress doesn't listen to the people anymore. the only thing they do is push one mans agenda and that is not what they are elected to do.

LOL, all the "champions" of the Constitution want to trash it because they want the Black man out at any cost?

LOL, all the "champions" of the Constitution want to trash it because they want the Black man out at any cost?

Takes way too long to amend the constitution for that to be the case. Let's face it though, something has to change. With a one term president, the entire focus of the presidency would be upon the nation's business rather than re-election.

i'm ok with a two term limit. the only thing I do not like about current politics is congress doesn't listen to the people anymore. the only thing they do is push one mans agenda and that is not what they are elected to do.

That is why we need to outlaw K Street.

I think not being beholden to the whimsical opinions of the proles may benefit us. You also wouldn't have president's worrying about their legacy, and they would all be going full throttle for the things they believe in, because they don't have to worry about re-election.

Not to mention, instead of devoting nearly an entire year to getting re-elected, you could use that time to actually be productive.

I also think that government would be better off if once you occupy one political office (at least on the federal level), you cannot occupy another. This would cut down on career sycophant politicians, who use various offices as stepping stones towards greater glory, rather than being compelled to truly serve their constituents. So once you are a senator, you get one term, and you are done politically. Same for every other office.

I was going to say one six-year term and that's it. You're done, unless it's running for the local school board or mayor.

By "the whimsical opinions of the proles" you mean the will of the electorate?

Nice.

yes, the majority of any population, but especially america, are very stupid individuals. Our founding fathers even realized that the collective will needed to be guarded against, which is why there are numerous areas of our government not subject to the flavor of the month electoral opinion.

I've suggested a similar system with a 20 year cap on national service.

that has nothing to do with K street. It's partisan politics at it's worst.

It has everything to do with K street.
Should I vote the way this guy who claims he is smarter than me and sends me 50 letters a month, or the way the guy who just gave me a check for 50K? Democracy of the highest bidder.

It has everything to do with K street.
Should I vote the way this guy who claims he is smarter than me and sends me 50 letters a month, or the way the guy who just gave me a check for 50K? Democracy of the highest bidder.
why do you have to vote for either of those two? your GOVERNMENT is exactly what you deserve, you get it by who you vote for. If both democrats and republicans are getting money from K street people, why do you keep voting for them?

why do you have to vote for either of those two? your GOVERNMENT is exactly what you deserve, you get it by who you vote for. If both democrats and republicans are getting money from K street people, why do you keep voting for them?

Replace the "I" in the post above with the name of any senator or congressman.

Back