Would Trump/Vance help defend Taiwan if China attacked?

Cypress

Trump splits with GOP lawmakers on national security, raising alarm​

GOP senators who support U.S. involvement in the war in Ukraine were dismayed when Trump selected Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), who led the opposition to the Ukrainian assistance package, as his running mate.

And Senate Republicans are feeling uneasy about Trump’s assertion that Taiwan should pay more for its defense and refusal to commit to defending the island.

One Republican senator, who requested anonymity, said “it’s a big question” whether Trump will support the war in Ukraine or would come to Taiwan’s defense if attacked by China.

The simple answer is: no.

trump is very transactional. Taiwan would not have the money to pay trump, if they were being attacked. So there would be no support, and everyone knows it.

That makes war far more likely.

If trump is elected, at the very least, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and Germany will have to get nuclear weapons.

Taiwan is recognized as Chinese. What would be the justification for attacking China ?

The simple answer is: no.

trump is very transactional. Taiwan would not have the money to pay trump, if they were being attacked. So there would be no support, and everyone knows it.

That makes war far more likely.

If trump is elected, at the very least, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and Germany will have to get nuclear weapons.
That's true, you would never expect Trump to fight for democracy and self determination.

Taiwan is recognized as Chinese. What would be the justification for attacking China ?
Taiwan has been running it's own affairs for 75 years. That's the better part of a century. Having a Chinese army just come in and place Taiwanese citizens under the dominion of the communist government in Beijing is not realistic.

GOP senators who support U.S. involvement in the war in Ukraine were dismayed when Trump selected Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), who led the opposition to the Ukrainian assistance package, as his running mate.

And Senate Republicans are feeling uneasy about Trump’s assertion that Taiwan should pay more for its defense and refusal to commit to defending the island.

One Republican senator, who requested anonymity, said “it’s a big question” whether Trump will support the war in Ukraine or would come to Taiwan’s defense if attacked by China.

Simple answer is yes.

On the other hand, Biden / Harris would hand wring and do little or nothing because they see no personal gain in helping Taiwan.

As for Ukraine, the US gets little out of helping that nation versus Russia, and no, Russia is very unlikely to try and keep expanding, particularly against nations in NATO that would be obligated into jumping in making that into WW 3. Putin may be a huge asshole, but he isn't obliviously stupid like Biden.

Taiwan has been running it's own affairs for 75 years. That's the better part of a century. Having a Chinese army just come in and place Taiwanese citizens under the dominion of the communist government in Beijing is not realistic.
It's realistic to China. What has it got to do with us ? Taiwan is Chinese.

It's realistic to China. What has it got to do with us ? Taiwan is Chinese.
I don't base my opinions on what the communist Chinese believe.

I'm sure most Irish consider northern Ireland to be part of their natural sovereign boundaries, but history, time, and tradition ensure that northern Ireland is going to remain in the UK Commonwealth.

Taiwan has been independent and taking care of itself for so long, there is no realistic chance that the democracies of the world would greenlight and support a communist invasion and subjugation of the island.

I don't base my opinions on what the communist Chinese believe.

I'm sure most Irish consider northern Ireland to be part of their natural sovereign boundaries, but history, time, and tradition ensure that northern Ireland is going to remain in the UK Commonwealth.

Taiwan has been independent and taking care of itself for so long, there is no realistic chance that the democracies of the world would greenlight and support a communist invasion and subjugation of the island.
There wouldn't be anything that the 'West ' could do about it- other than kill a lot of Chinese and suffer similar casualties while squandering billions of dollars on another hopeless war.
N.Ireland will reunite with Eire quite soon I believe. It is, after all, populated by Irish people.

Unlike Biden, who is owned by China?

Of course Trump would.

But the real issue is the China won't attack with Trump as President. They get aggressive when patsies like the Harris-Biden clowns are running things.

Back