WTF Congress of 1975

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
We just bought a card for someone born in 1975, and it gave a littany of things that happened in that year. I noticed that Congress officially restored Gen. Bobby Lee's US citizenship. WTF?!? That is such crap! The man was a traitor who CHOSE to lead rebel armies against Uncle Sam. He deserves no respect and had no principles. That just pisses me off. One more thing to do if I ever get near the White House... Your thoughts?

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/spring/piece-lee.html

On May 29, 1865, President Andrew Johnson issued a Proclamation of Amnesty and Pardon to persons who had participated in the rebellion against the United States. There were fourteen excepted classes, though, and members of those classes had to make special application to the President.

Lee sent an application to Grant and wrote to President Johnson on June 13, 1865:

Being excluded from the provisions of amnesty & pardon contained in the proclamation of the 29th Ulto; I hereby apply for the benefits, & full restoration of all rights & privileges extended to those included in its terms. I graduated at the Mil. Academy at West Point in June 1829. Resigned from the U.S. Army April '61. Was a General in the Confederate Army, & included in the surrender of the Army of N. Va. 9 April '65.
Larger Version Lee signed his Amnesty Oath on October 2, 1865, but was not restored to full citizenship in his lifetime. (General Records of the Department of State, RG 59)
On October 2, 1865, the same day that Lee was inaugurated as president of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, he signed his Amnesty Oath, thereby complying fully with the provision of Johnson's proclamation. But Lee was not pardoned, nor was his citizenship restored. And the fact that he had submitted an amnesty oath at all was soon lost to history.

More than a hundred years later, in 1970, an archivist at the National Archives discovered Lee's Amnesty Oath among State Department records (reported in Prologue, Winter 1970). Apparently Secretary of State William H. Seward had given Lee's application to a friend as a souvenir, and the State Department had pigeonholed the oath.

In 1975, Lee's full rights of citizenship were posthumously restored by a joint congressional resolution effective June 13, 1865.

Last edited:
We just bought a card for someone born in 1975, and it gave a littany of things that happened in that year. I noticed that Congress officially restored Gen. Bobby Lee's US citizenship. WTF?!? That is such crap! The man was a traitor who CHOSE to lead rebel armies against Uncle Sam. He deserves no respect and had no principles. That just pisses me off. One more thing to do if I ever get near the White House... Your thoughts?

You're a moron Three. Go kill yourself.

It's an unconstiutional form of punishment to take a mans citizenship. You'd have stood right with the Tories in 1776, you fucker Three. God I hope you don't screw up too many minds in your teaching position. People like you are whats destroying America.

Shut the fuck up... Had no principles? Kill yourself.

Like you would ever have the principles or the balls to fight for what you believe in.

Go crawl back into the hole you came from. Robert E. Lee was one of the greatest Americans this country has ever seen.

Fighting with honor and conviction for his principles, he exemplified the purest form Americanism.

He killed Americans Epic

Americans killed Americans. It was a war of choice on Lincoln's part. Lee was merely pawn (or more appropriately a Knight) in a game between Davis and Lincoln.

Robert E. Lee served honorably on both sides, and fought with chivalry and distinction to defend his homeland. There is nothing more American than fighting to protect your family and your home.

Except when you do it in a war against your own country.

I understand your respect for him. I dont mind they reinstated his rights post mortum.

I do think that if this happened here and now you would hate him as a traitor to his country.

There is emotion on both sides for good reason.

Dont ever tell someone to kill themselves it is a childish and irresponsible thing to do.

It's complex argument about Lee. Against him is the fact that he felt his loyalty was with the State of Virginia and not the Union, so in that respect he betrayed his nation. In a contrary sense he both extended the war and assured the South's defeat. He extended the war by his brilliant tactical generalship. He assured the south's loss of the war by being a poor strategist by invading the north not once but twice and thus losing resources he could not afford.

However, to his credit, when the war was hopelessly lost many in the Confederate command chain wanted to run to earth and fight a guerillia war. Lee understood clearly the horror of such a proposition and opposed it vehemently even in the face of certain defeat. So the Civil War could have been much more bloody and horrific had not Lee prevented the horrors of a guerilla war.

Can you make an argument that Lee should have been hanged as a traitor? Sure. You can also make an equally valid argument that Sherman should have been hanged as a war criminal.

Kathy, honestly, Sherman would've been called a war criminal in todays language. I find it highly disturbing that people praise someone so greatly who did nothing but target innocent civilians.

Last edited:
An argument could be made that the actual civilian losses would've been even greater had Sherman not existed, sort of like how an invasion of Japan possibly would've killed many more innocent civilians than the nuclear bomb. But that's a huge "if".

I'm at a loss to respond to the two posts, by the same poster. I agree with the take that Sherman prevented more death and destruction, but his scorched earth policy. It was brutal, but effective.

Back