1981 News Story on the burgeoning new Inberwebs...

I remember those days.

I don't know if some of you younger people can understand JUST HOW COOL it really is to be able to access the amount of information you can gather in a couple of hours on the internet can get you today.

You had to physically drive to the library and search shelves for hours and you could not come near the level of updated material you can get with a few keystrokes now.

Its going to save the world dudes.

it make the people VERY hard to fool

well at least some of us

"this fellow isn't worried about his job"........

I wonder if there's anyone still selling newspapers on a street corner somewhere......

When I began as a lawyer the biggest investment was my law library (cost tens of thousands of dollars)......now it costs me $68 a month to access the same information in seconds......

I remember those days.

I don't know if some of you younger people can understand JUST HOW COOL it really is to be able to access the amount of information you can gather in a couple of hours on the internet can get you today.

You had to physically drive to the library and search shelves for hours and you could not come near the level of updated material you can get with a few keystrokes now.

Its going to save the world dudes.

it make the people VERY hard to fool

well at least some of us
It's still useful to know how to hit the stacks. I can do research quicker on the net than most people cause of the experience you just described that I did on a nearly daily basis when I was a research assistant at OSU.

oh yeah you can get to know a library pretty well by doing this type of research.

there is something kinda cool about the standing in the stacks and looking for treasure.

oh yeah you can get to know a library pretty well by doing this type of research.

there is something kinda cool about the standing in the stacks and looking for treasure.
Absolutely, you can find far more detailed information in the stacks. It would be nice if Elsever had the same kind of service that PMP gets for his law books.

I took a computer science class in college.....we had to punch holes in cardboard squares and feed them to the computer......none of these newfangled devices like keyboards in those days.....

Back