20 Wonderful British Words That Will Confuse Americans

OK....I knew 10 of them. I don't count thingamajobby as that has been part of the American vernacular for a very long time. Particularly in red neck culture where it's a to ten word. Also, you Brits only used the word half-assed and that's bollocks. The actual complete term in "thingamajobbydohickey". e.g. "Hey Bubba, hand me that thar thingajobbydohickey.".

OK....I knew 10 of them. I don't count thingamajobby as that has been part of the American vernacular for a very long time. Particularly in red neck culture where it's a to ten word. Also, you Brits only used the word half-assed and that's bollocks. The actual complete term in "thingamajobbydohickey". e.g. "Hey Bubba, hand me that thar thingajobbydohickey.".

Thingamajig (Early 19th century origin)) evolved from Thingummy (Late 18th century origin) which evolved from Thingum (Late 17th Century origin) which evolved from Thing (Old English origin, 6-9th Century). Comes from Old High German (ding) and Old Frisian (thing) and both had their origins in Norse.

Yeh and what did I say about the cognoscenti?

Thingamajig (Early 19th century origin)) evolved from Thingummy (Late 18th century origin) which evolved from Thingum (Late 17th Century origin) which evolved from Thing (Old English origin, 6-9th Century). Comes from Old High German (ding) and Old Frisian (thing) and both had their origins in Norse.
Still, point being it's been part of the common vernacular here for a very long time.

I consider myself to have been educated after reading this as I only knew 9 of them. Here's a rundown of new words to me:

Numpty
Minging - Very interesting
Snog - I think we call it French kissing
Gobshite
Twat - Pretty sure that means something else over here. I do call such people "twits" though.
Pants - Again, interesting. I definitely agree with the Superman vs. Batman reference.
Wazzock
Wank - Maybe past tense of "wink?" :D
Manky
Plonker
Cackhanded
Bellend

I might also mention that I had to force my IPad to accept most of those words. :)

Last edited:
I consider myself to have been educated after reading this as I only knew 9 of them. Here's a rundown of new words to me:

Numpty
Minging - Very interesting
Snog - I think we call it French kissing
Gobshite
Twat - Pretty sure that means something else over here. I do call such people "twits" though.
Pants - Again, interesting. I definitely agree with the Superman vs. Batman reference.
Wazzock
Wank - Maybe past tense of "wink?" :D
Manky
Plonker
Clockhanded Cackhanded
Bellend

I might also mention that I had to force my IPad to accept most of those words. :)

ftfy

Back