2011 NCAA preseason rankings

Topspin

Verified User
1. OKLAHOMA
Buzz: Oklahoma won the Big 12 and snapped its five-game BCS losing streak this season, which sets up a potentially huge 2011. QB Landry Jones had to be ecstatic that WR Ryan Broyles decided to stay for his senior season; LB Travis Lewis is staying in school, as well. In all, nine starters will be back on both sides of the ball for Bob Stoops.
2. ALABAMA
Buzz: The Tide won 10 games and destroyed Michigan State in the bowl game, but ask around and 'Bama fans will say it was a disappointing season. There will be a new quarterback (A.J. McCarron), a new starting tailback (Mark Ingram is going pro) and a new go-to receiver (Julio Jones is going pro). But the offensive line returns four starters, the secondary will be much improved and the front seven on defense should be extremely good.
3. STANFORD
Buzz: Yes, coach Jim Harbaugh is gone and he will be missed. But QB Andrew Luck surprisingly turned down NFL millions - many NFL millions - and will be back. The running game should be strong, and while the defensive line will undergo a makeover, this is a confident team these days.
4. LSU
Buzz: Les Miles will remain as coach, and who can blame him for wanting to stay? The Tigers are loaded with talent. QB Jordan Jefferson is the key to any league - or national - title hopes; he simply has to become more consistent. The defense returns seven starters, and as long as the new tackles come through, that defense again will be a good one.
5. OHIO STATE
Buzz: The Buckeyes closed the season strong, with a solid win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. QB Terrelle Pryor's return is huge, and even though he and four other important players will miss the first five games, only one of those games looks that difficult.
6. AUBURN
Buzz: QB Cameron Newton and DT Nick Fairley are expected to go pro but they haven't announced yet, so the Tigers rank this highly because of those two alone. As it is, Auburn loses six starters on both sides of the ball, including four from a dominating offensive line.
7. OREGON
Buzz: QB Darron Thomas and TBs LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner will return for a Ducks attack that should again be extremely potent. Both lines will undergo a makeover, but the secondary should be excellent and the offensive backfield productive.
8. FLORIDA STATE
Buzz: Florida State loses two four-year starters on the offensive line (All-America G Rodney Hudson and C Ryan McMahon) and QB Christian Ponder, but the Seminoles return just about all their other top players from a 10-win team. The arrival of a talent-laden recruiting class should make Florida State the class of the ACC next season.
9. TEXAS A&M
Buzz: For the first time in a while, the Aggies will be facing truly high expectations - but they have the talent to live up to expectations. All the key skill-position players will be back, the offensive line returns four starters and a young defense made big strides this season under first-year coordinator Tim DeRuyter.
10. BOISE STATE
Buzz: We don't know who's going to be catching the ball for Boise State now that Austin Pettis and Titus Young have departed, but Boise State's offense should be in good shape as long as Kellen Moore is throwing the ball and able to hand off to Doug Martin. If the Broncos survive their

I'm not sure I would have put us at #2, but I think next year will be a better season.

I am not sure which qb will get the starting job. AJ got the snaps when we were way ahead, but redshirt freshman Philip Sims has a cannon for an arm. But QB is our weak link, as far as I am concerned. Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacey should keep the running game up. The O line will be better. The defensive secondary has the experience now. And Saban went out and found a monster for the D line. We will have a JUCO transfer named Jesse Williams at nose guard. 6'4" and 320 lbs, he played rugby and basketball. They say he has fast feel and he benches 500lbs. I'm ready to see him play.

Auburn is overranked, in my opinion. Losing Cam, Farley, and a bunch of others will not help their chances.

A preseason poll this early is about as worthless as those guys who grade the NFL draft when it ends. Neither Auborn or Oregon were in the preseason top ten last year.

A preseason poll this early is about as worthless as those guys who grade the NFL draft when it ends. Neither Auborn or Oregon were in the preseason top ten last year.

And the preseason #1 lost 3 regular season games.

Yeah, the preseason polls are a joke. I saw one that had Stanford in the #1 slot.

fodder for football junkies like me.
baseball & hoops rank right below watching paint dry to me.

From now until the fall we have preseason polls, NCAA investigations and recruiting to keep us smiling.

*sigh* It just ain't the same.

Back