3D Scanners

stacsteven

A 3D scanner or 3D printers is a device that analyzes a real-world object or environment to collect data on its shape and possibly its appearance (i.e. color). The collected data can then be used to construct digital, three dimensional models. Many different technologies can be used to build these 3D scanning devices; each technology comes with its own limitations, advantages and costs.

A 3D scanner or 3D printers is a device that analyzes a real-world object or environment to collect data on its shape and possibly its appearance (i.e. color). The collected data can then be used to construct digital, three dimensional models. Many different technologies can be used to build these 3D scanning devices; each technology comes with its own limitations, advantages and costs.
And?

Sarcasm aside, 3-d scanners (and printers) are quite miraculous. If I had the bucks both would be in my toolbox.

It's called stereolythography. It's actually been around a while.

I think for the mold and castings industry it's been as revolutonary as CNC has been for machining and tool making.

Exactly.
I make patterns for metal casting in the traditional manner.
A 3-D scanner and printer would save untold hours.

Exactly.
I make patterns for metal casting in the traditional manner.
A 3-D scanner and printer would save untold hours.
Not only that but you could cast parts that until this technology was developed would have had to been machined or could not have been made at all due to their complex shapes.

3D printing is 3D printing; it is not stereolithography.

Rune could probably use an Objet or Stratasys (FDM) systemor even a Thermojet for investment casting.
Uh yea it is. I was working in R&D of a major universities Materials Engineering department when this technology was being developed in the early to mid 90's. We were competing against stereolythography for research funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography

Not only that but you could cast parts that until this technology was developed would have had to been machined or could not have been made at all due to their complex shapes.

Yes, there is that too.

I would actualy be happy just to have a 3D scanner to tie into my CNC mill for making permanent molds.

Uh yea it is. I was working in R&D of a major universities Materials Engineering department when this technology was being developed in the early to mid 90's. We were competing against stereolythography for research funding.

Then you should recall that 3D Printing refers to a specific technology developed at MIT (e.g. Z-Corp), and not to the broad spectrum of Additive Fabrication technologies - SLA, SLS, FDM, LOM, LENS, SLM, EBM (Arcam).

Sorry, try again.

Back