40-Gbps Ethernet Makes Its Debut

Interesting. 10Gb is still pretty expensive. As a result, I suspect the new 40Gb standard will remain beyond the reach of most IT departments for at least four years. That, and most companies could barely benefit from 10Gb, let alone 40Gb. We have a virtually bottomless IT budget at work, but we're still on 1Gb.

Although, it will be very cool when 40Gb iSCSI SSD-based SANs become a reality. RIP Fibre Channel. O_O

Wouldn't 40Gbps be way faster than SATA (3Gbps)? And hard drives in real world scenarios max out at around 300 Mbps anyway. I guess if you're going to eventually split it, it would have some use for sharing lots of bandwidth with others.

Wouldn't 40Gbps be way faster than SATA (3Gbps)? And hard drives in real world scenarios max out at around 300 Mbps anyway. I guess if you're going to eventually split it, it would have some use for sharing lots of bandwidth with others.

The latest Serial-attached SCSI (SAS) specification supports up to 6Gbps. That said, SSDs in a high-performance RAID configuration such as RAID-10 could easily surpass that. There are fibre channel, SSD-based SANs on the market that can theoretically deliver 20GB (yes, GigaBYTES) per second, provided your pocket is deep enough.

Most of the time, IOPS is a much bigger deal than overall bandwidth, though.

interesting....tom...the link didn't work for me

that said...you can have a gazzillionbilliontrillion download speed and it won't matter if the sites you're downloading from have their rate capped. which many do, except, the big sites like microsoft or game download sites.

i purchased a download speed of 20 mbps....and rarely get that from anything i download. maybe i am just not savvy enough on internet downloading. :dunno:

The latest Serial-attached SCSI (SAS) specification supports up to 6Gbps. That said, SSDs in a high-performance RAID configuration such as RAID-10 could easily surpass that. There are fibre channel, SSD-based SANs on the market that can theoretically deliver 20GB (yes, GigaBYTES) per second, provided your pocket is deep enough.

Most of the time, IOPS is a much bigger deal than overall bandwidth, though.

Yeah, but none of this is really practical to a home computer user.

that said...you can have a gazzillionbilliontrillion download speed and it won't matter if the sites you're downloading from have their rate capped. which many do, except, the big sites like microsoft or game download sites.

i purchased a download speed of 20 mbps....and rarely get that from anything i download. maybe i am just not savvy enough on internet downloading. :dunno:

For one thing, that's advertised in megabits per second, and downloads are often shown in mega-bytes per second. I have a 1.5 Mbps connection, which is 180 MBps, and I usually get downloads at around 150 MBps, provided I have a good connection.

40gb will not be used by anybody other than high end corporate users for their routing backbones. I just posted it because most enterprises are just getting round to using 10gb and already the next generation is waiting in the wings.

For one thing, that's advertised in megabits per second, and downloads are often shown in mega-bytes per second. I have a 1.5 Mbps connection, which is 180 MBps, and I usually get downloads at around 150 MBps, provided I have a good connection.

I don't understand this, all ISPs use megabits per second and speed testers such as Speednet likewise. So what is the difference between Mbps and MBps? You should also remember that TCP/IP and ATM impose a high overhead on the transmission of data packets.

http://www.fatsquirrel.org/veghead/wot/atm.html

I have a 1.5 Mbps connection, which is 180 MBps, and I usually get downloads at around 150 MBps, provided I have a good connection.

Hmm I think you meant to say 180 Kilobytes. One Byte = 8 Bits. So a 1.5 Megabit/sec line would yield 187.5 Kilobytes/sec in a perfect world. But 150 Kilobytes/sec downloads are what I would expect, for the reasons Tom mentioned.

Hmm I think you meant to say 180 Kilobytes. One Byte = 8 Bits. So a 1.5 Megabit/sec line would yield 187.5 Kilobytes/sec in a perfect world. But 150 Kilobytes/sec downloads are what I would expect, for the reasons Tom mentioned.

LOL, yes, kbps. If it were mbps, I would have one hell of a connection.

Did you know that there are 4 bits in a nibble?

What about tits?

Long-tailed-tits-001.jpg

Back