$45,000 found in new home... they returned it.

I probably would have. I am sure I was have second thoughts later. I've never done it with that much money, but I never kept found money.

I don't know if I would return the money myself... But I probably would. I have never been in that position with quite that much cash. It would be tempting to keep it.

it would not be easy, but i would return it...especially if i knew the previous owner stashed money around the house, thus indicating the money is likely his and not the previous owner...and that he lived there for over 40 years and you can see the date on the currency

had a client once who's children found gold coins in an old safe in the basement......over $400,000 worth.....

also, my brother found a Mason jar with $5k in it, buried in the backyard of his rental property when he removed a fence......judging by the currency dates estimated it had been there about twenty years......speculation was it was buried there by a drug dealer who ended up in prison......he did talk to the people he bought the property from and they had no clues.......

Last edited:
Maybe I would. Depends on the circumstances. If I had good reason to think the money was illegally obtained in the first place, then it's all mine.

Depends as well. I'd put it in a CD and definitely wouldn't tell the previous owner that I found it. If prompted by him, I'd give him the money after the CD matured and keep the interest as a finder's fee.

Back