60 Minutes on Consumer Credit Report

Credit reporting companies are in cahoots with the banks. Their job is to sell information, not make sure your credit's being reported correctly.

I don't know how accurate this is but one thing I've often heard is it is considered bad if you've had too many checks on your credit. I don't understand why that is. If you apply for a home loan they do a credit check. If you apply for a car loan they do a credit check. If you apply to rent an apartment they do a credit check. What am I missing here?

I don't know how accurate this is but one thing I've often heard is it is considered bad if you've had too many checks on your credit. I don't understand why that is. If you apply for a home loan they do a credit check. If you apply for a car loan they do a credit check. If you apply to rent an apartment they do a credit check. What am I missing here?
An Education. :p

Its true....I recently refinanced to drop from 5.2 to 3%.....I did one of those on-line check your credit rating things to see where I stood and asked for a quote from Quicken Loans who insisted on doing a credit check before quoting a rate.....when I went with another company one of the loan requirements was submitting an explanation of "why there were so many credit inquiries recently"........"uh, because I was looking for a good interest rate?".........

A credit inquiry is bad if it comes form someone other than you or a potential employer. You might be able to save yourself if you can get the creditor to accept information you acquire. Most of the time a potential landlord will accept it.

Back