7.1 Earthquake

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
I have so much adrenaline pumping through my body, don't think I am going back to sleep, its 2AM
here.

That is the biggest quake I have ever experienced.

I wish there was an earthquake near me. I wish the earth would open up and devour me. I wish everything came crumbling down into a hopeless ruin. Set fire to the sky. Obliterate me Gaia

They are now saying it was two, a 6.4, Anchor Point epicenter, then the 7.1 at Old Illama.

I rolled on the floor and was crawling for the hallway!

They are now saying it was two, a 6.4, Anchor Point epicenter, then the 7.1 at Old Illama.

I rolled on the floor and was crawling for the hallway!

Did you hurt yourself?

Earthquakes like this event, with focal depths between 70 and 300 km, are commonly termed "intermediate-depth" earthquakes. Intermediate-depth earthquakes represent deformation within subducted slabs rather than at the shallow plate interfaces between subducting and overriding tectonic plates. They typically cause less damage on the ground surface above their foci than is the case with similar magnitude shallow-focus earthquakes, but large intermediate-depth earthquakes may be felt at great distance from their epicenters. Earthquakes have been reliably located to depths of about 220 km in this region.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10004gqp#general_summary

I was in two earthquakes in Monterey, CA. One broke the stadium during the World Series... it was 6.9 where I was at, it was 7.2 at the epicenter in the Santa Cruz mountains... The earlier one was much smaller but the epicenter was the same.

Earthquakes are cool.

About 15 years ago I was on business trip to Palm Springs Ca and a 5.9 woke me out of a drunk sleep in my hotel room. It shook me out of the bed and onto the floor.
I thought I had dreamt it, until I found out the next morning on the news what it was.
It cracked the pool and broke some windows.

About 15 years ago I was on business trip to Palm Springs Ca and a 5.9 woke me out of a drunk sleep in my hotel room. It shook me out of the bed and onto the floor.
I thought I had dreamt it, until I found out the next morning on the news what it was.
It cracked the pool and broke some windows.

Too bad you didn't die

Back