7 GOP Senators Seek Vote on Iraq Resolution

uscitizen

Villified User

Thursday, February 08, 2007

AP

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., left, and Sen. John Warner, R-Va.

WASHINGTON — In an apparent flip of roles, seven Republican senators are considering disrupting debate Thursday on a must-pass spending bill for fiscal year 2007 by trying to attach an anti-troop surge resolution to the legislation.

Sens. John Warner of Virginia, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and five others wrote Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Wednesday saying they want a vote on the non-binding resolution by Warner and Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., that expresses disapproval of President Bush's plan to send an additional 21,500 U.S. troops to help secure Baghdad.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250880,00.html

Thursday, February 08, 2007

AP

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., left, and Sen. John Warner, R-Va.

WASHINGTON — In an apparent flip of roles, seven Republican senators are considering disrupting debate Thursday on a must-pass spending bill for fiscal year 2007 by trying to attach an anti-troop surge resolution to the legislation.

Sens. John Warner of Virginia, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska and five others wrote Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Wednesday saying they want a vote on the non-binding resolution by Warner and Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., that expresses disapproval of President Bush's plan to send an additional 21,500 U.S. troops to help secure Baghdad.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250880,00.html

I wonder how many of those seven are up for reelection in 2008, and don't want this republican war hung around their neck.

I wonder how many of those seven are up for reelection in 2008, and don't want this republican war hung around their neck.

But five of these voted against allowing the various measures to come to the floor for debate. This is what I don't understand. What are they doing?

But five of these voted against allowing the various measures to come to the floor for debate. This is what I don't understand. What are they doing?

Its called "having their cake and eating it too".

Parliamentary politics. They can demonstrate loyalty to the GOP senate leadership by backing them on a filibuster, while still expressing opposition to Bush's war through another vehicle.

All bases covered. They can tell the voters: "See, I oppossed bush's War!" -- while at the same time, demonstrating loyaly to Mitch McConnel.

That's my guess anyway ;). But, I'm not the smartest bulb, so I could be wrong.

Its called "having their cake and eating it too".

Parliamentary politics. They can demonstrate loyalty to the GOP senate leadership by backing them on a filibuster, while still expressing opposition to Bush's war through another vehicle.

All bases covered. They can tell the voters: "See, I oppossed bush's War!" -- while at the same time, demonstrating loyaly to Mitch McConnel.

That's my guess anyway ;). But, I'm not the smartest bulb, so I could be wrong.

That sound about right.

Back