8 Foods We Eat In The U.S. That Are Banned In Other Countries

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleyperez/8-foods-we-eat-in-the-us-that-are-banned-in-other-countries

frankenfoods.jpg

Snail Broccoli???

That is just gross for so many reasons.

(Unless you smother it in melted cheese of course)

EDIT: Smothering snail broccoli with hot melted cheese is the only really humane way to kill them IMNSHO

Last edited:
No, we don't. I have heard that Popeyes is pretty good. However we have Nandos which is famous for its peri peri chicken.

http://www.nandos.co.uk/
Popeyes also has traditional LA style red beans and rice and dirty rice. They used to have fried chicken livers that were to die for but I don't think they sell those anymore.

I normally don't eat take out chicken cause it's outrageously expensive. For what it costs to buy an 8 piece KFC bucket with two sides and biscuits I can fry up three whole chickens and a lot more sides and the chicken is of better quality.

I have two recipes. My gourment heart clogger and my heart healthy recipe. Both start with brining. In a stock pot I add a 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp cayene pepper, 1 tbsp cracked red pepper and an orange and a lemon (or lime) quartered. Put chicken in the pot, fill pot with water, cover and let marinate over night. The next day remove chicken from brine, rinse in cold water, and cut into frying pieces.

For breading I use 1 cup all purpose flower and I add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp backing powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp cayene pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1 tsp italian seasoning (thyme or marjoram are good alternatives).

For the gourmet recipe I'll put the cut pieces into a bowl and cover with butter milk and let marinate about 4 hours. Remove the pieces from the butter milk and let the excess butter milk drip off. I then bread the pieces, put them on a plate and let them sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes. I'll then fry them in a cast iron skillet using 1 whole stick of butter and enough vegetable oil to fill the pan about 1" deep with oil/butter mix. Heat the oil to 300 deg F (medium high...if the oil smokes the temp is to high) and fry about 10 minutes on each side (don't crowd the pan with to many chicken pieces or they'll steam instead of frying. Cook in batches if you have too). When done remove pieces to a plate or serving platter lined with paper towel. Season with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper immeadiately and then let pieces rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving or place in a 200 deg preheated oven to keep warm if cooking in batches.

For the heart healthy version after I brine the chicken I cut it into pieces, dip it in eggwash, bread it, and then simply brown it on both sides for a few minutes until it's a nice golden brown. I then place the pieces on a broiling pan and bake the chicken at 350 deg F for 45 minutes. This way the excess grease drips off the chicken but you still have that nice crispy fried chicken texture. After it's done baking season to taste let the chicken rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

I think I'm heading to Mott's for dinner tonight... chicken sounds great!

I crave some fried chicken every now and then; but it's messy to do at home and then there's the oil to deal with. But in town, there's just one restaurant that has fried chicken; theirs is decent, but not great. We get dinners to go sometimes, which gives us food for a couple meals, but they use styrofoam to-go containers which is annoying. The grocery store deli will sometimes have fried chicken in a bucket, but it's not very good.

Well, guess I'll just have to make it at home...

Or go to Mott's!

Back