8 Foreigners Reveal The Weirdest American "Food" They've Seen

As an American, I despise Miracle whip, individually wrapped cheeses, and PB&J in the same jar. As for grits, if you make them stiff, pop them in a freezer a few minutes to get even stiffer and then slice them and fry them, they are not as horrible texture-wise.

As an American, I despise Miracle whip, individually wrapped cheeses, and PB&J in the same jar. As for grits, if you make them stiff, pop them in a freezer a few minutes to get even stiffer and then slice them and fry them, they are not as horrible texture-wise.
They don't have gators in Michigan!

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

I've eaten deep-fried gator tail before.

Tastes exactly like white meat chicken.

Rattlesnake is pretty tasty too.

Oh man some of these are may not sound appetizing but are really quite delicious.

Biscuits and gravy (I like mine with an over easy fried egg on top) is a classic. And Yes...in this case the French are right Tom.

Instant Grits are gross but stone ground grits are excellent. One of my favarite Grits recipes is grilled Shrimp on Grits with a little cheddar cheese melted into the grits. Mmm Mmmm

And I know that Chicken and Waffles sounds...just plain odd...but it will surprise you just how well the two pair together. If you don't believe me, next time you eat fried chicken drizzle a little honey over it.

OK...PB and Jelly in a jar anywhere would be odd and it's odd here too....but some people like it. Same with Gator sausage....that's not common at all. I have to admit though...I prefer Miracle whip to Mayo. Same with American processed cheese. As a cheese, in general it sucks, but it does make the best damned cheese burgers and toasted cheese sandwhiches because when you heat it, it doesn't break!

And people who don't like Root Beer should simply be rounded up and shot. A Root Beer Float is one of my all time favorite frozen treats.

I also had a great rattlesnake sausage at the Cowboy Cafe in Sedona, AZ.
I had some Cobra adobo last time I was in the Philippines. I bit rubbery and a lot of pin bones but pretty tasty actually. Freaked the shit out of my wife when she realized what we were eating. Could have heard her scream in Thailand.

I had some Cobra adobo last time I was in the Philippines. I bit rubbery and a lot of pin bones but pretty tasty actually. Freaked the shit out of my wife when she realized what we were eating. Could have heard her scream in Thailand.
Did you laugh at her, remain stoic or try to reassure her?

I hate food that isn’t prepared right.

We get gator at Papadeaux here in Texas, it is farm raised, soft and juicy. The gator I had in Florida was tough, not sure if it was wild or farm raised. I was not impressed.

I’ll try most foods, except those fermented eggs you like. I can’t get past the sight.

I'm basic, and I like animals, so I keep the list I eat very short. Cow, Pig, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey, but I might try wild boar though. I can't stand pretty much all seafood, because of the smell, and the only thing I ever ate very rarely was lobster tail. The only other seafood I can see a possible attempt at is mussels.

I'm basic, and I like animals, so I keep the list I eat very short. Cow, Pig, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey, but I might try wild boar though. I can't stand pretty much all seafood, because of the smell, and the only thing I ever ate very rarely was lobster tail. The only other seafood I can see a possible attempt at is mussels.
I would live on seafood, but my hubby is not a fan, he’ll it it occasionally but it has to be disguised, deep fried, sauces, seasoning.

Did you laugh at her, remain stoic or try to reassure her?

I hate food that isn’t prepared right.

We get gator at Papadeaux here in Texas, it is farm raised, soft and juicy. The gator I had in Florida was tough, not sure if it was wild or farm raised. I was not impressed.

I’ll try most foods, except those fermented eggs you like. I can’t get past the sight.
LIL they’re not fermented they’re fertilized. I wouldn’t exactly say I like them. They’re like hard boil eggs with chewy bits. Not great but not bad.

As for the Cobra adobo I did what everyone else did. I laughed. :)

Oh man some of these are may not sound appetizing but are really quite delicious.

Biscuits and gravy (I like mine with an over easy fried egg on top) is a classic. And Yes...in this case the French are right Tom.

Instant Grits are gross but stone ground grits are excellent. One of my favarite Grits recipes is grilled Shrimp on Grits with a little cheddar cheese melted into the grits. Mmm Mmmm

And I know that Chicken and Waffles sounds...just plain odd...but it will surprise you just how well the two pair together. If you don't believe me, next time you eat fried chicken drizzle a little honey over it.

OK...PB and Jelly in a jar anywhere would be odd and it's odd here too....but some people like it. Same with Gator sausage....that's not common at all. I have to admit though...I prefer Miracle whip to Mayo. Same with American processed cheese. As a cheese, in general it sucks, but it does make the best damned cheese burgers and toasted cheese sandwhiches because when you heat it, it doesn't break!

And people who don't like Root Beer should simply be rounded up and shot. A Root Beer Float is one of my all time favorite frozen treats.

Biscuits and gravy.

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL!!

But the gravy has to be thick enough to eat with a fork.
None of the watery crap that people put on mashed potatoes.
Plus it's got to have sausage pieces in it.

Last edited:
See how kind I am? Rather than banning your arse in a tit for tat fashion, I graciously allow you to post.

They don't have gators in Michigan!

Oh I am sure you can find it if you look around for it. I saw some frozen a few weeks back in a grocery story. I have had it in restaurants in soup. It is largely a forgettable protein.

If seafood has a smell it isn’t fresh.

Back