A few handy hints for Mott and others

cancel2 2022

Canceled
grammar-goofs.png

You forgot ACCEPT and EXCEPT. As in "I would have been ACCEPTED for the job, EXCEPT for my poor language skill".

The use of literally in that way is appropriate. In language, the meaning of words often becomes abstracted and used to mean other things. In Shakespeare's day, we used to only use the word "going" to mean "I am going to this place". Now we often use it to mean "I'm going to do it". This is literally how language evolved. Without this process, there would be no language. Should we freeze grammar in place beginning with the mid-20th century in order to make things "correct"?

The use of literally in that way is appropriate. In language, the meaning of words often becomes abstracted and used to mean other things. In Shakespeare's day, we used to only use the word "going" to mean "I am going to this place". Now we often use it to mean "I'm going to do it". This is literally how language evolved. Without this process, there would be no language. Should we freeze grammar in place beginning with the mid-20th century in order to make things "correct"?

At any moment in time there are rules, that is not to say that language doesn't evolve and change. Would you prefer to have no rules at all?

Its been my experience that those who obsess over grammar usually don't have much of interest to write about. :p

My problem is I type to fast and I'm not usually thinking to much about grammer or spelling.

Its It's been my experience that those who obsess over grammar usually don't have much of interest to write about. :p

My problem is I type to too fast and I'm not usually thinking to too much about grammer grammar or spelling.

Yeah, this thread sucks. Thanks, Tom...

Back