A Mattress at $33,000?

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
A Mattress at $33,000?

Made with horsehair, silk and gold, new bedding pushes prices sky-high.

How much would you spend for a good night's sleep?

Some people might say $33,000. That's the price of E.S. Kluft & Co.'s hand-tufted, king-size Palais Royale mattress and box spring, currently the most expensive American-made mattress set on the market. The company says it has sold about 100 since introducing it in 2008.

Or maybe it's $44,000 -- the price tag on Kluft's Sublime model, which the company has teed up for a launch later this year.

European shoppers will pay even more. At $69,500 -- roughly the price of a Porsche Cayenne S hybrid SUV -- there's the Vividus king-size mattress set from Hastens Sangar AB, of Sweden. Hastens says it takes 160 hours to assemble this mattress entirely by hand, which has a Swedish-pine frame with thick layers of horsehair, cotton, flax and wool inside. The company says since introducing the mattress in 2006, it has sold 250 of them world-wide.

Yet bad sleep was what drove Scott Kimple, a 44-year-old hedge-fund manager in Dallas, to invest $27,500 in a king-size Hastens 2000T mattress set two years ago. "I've had problems sleeping in the last couple of years, and I thought well, maybe a mattress might help," Mr. Kimple says.

"When I heard there was a $20,000 mattress out there, I thought it was kind of ridiculous." But Mr. Kimple is a convert. "It's light years better than anything I've ever slept on. It's like you're floating on air." An added plus: "They will come to your house and flip the mattress for you," Mr. Kimple says. The Hastens store in Dallas offers the monthly service to local customers for the first year; Mr. Kimple had it done.

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109828/a-mattress-at-$33000?mod=family-home

shagalicious

LOL, they'll come to your house and flip the mattress for you.... That makes it totally worth it.

"When I heard there was a $20,000 mattress out there, I thought it was kind of ridiculous." But Mr. Kimple is a convert. "It's light years better than anything I've ever slept on. It's like you're floating on air."

Placebo.

I just bought a Sleep Number a few months back. They're expensive for what you get, unless you get the base model, which is then useless.

It replaces an expensive inner spring that we had for 18 years. With inflation about the same as the new one.

I don't have to flip it.

Back