A tribute to Ohio

Phantasmal

Harris/Walz
Staff member
I am having a Toas-Tite today, BBQ beef.

I was introduced to these sandwiches back in 1974 by a Pennsylvian, but this wonderful sandwich maker was invented by an Ohioan! John E. Strietelmeier

They went out of production or awhile, I had to find mine on EBay, but they are back in production since 2012,

They are delicious!

It's easy to make. Just throw a chuck roast in a Dutch oven, add some diced onion, carrot, celery, a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, a little tomato paste, some beef broth and seasoning, cover and pop in the oven at 250 deg for about 6-8 hours. Take it out of the oven, shred the meat, put it back in the oven with out the lid and let the braising liquid reduce till it's pretty much absorbed. You can do that with a pork butt roast too. Both are good eats.

It's easy to make. Just throw a chuck roast in a Dutch oven, add some diced onion, carrot, celery, a couple of cans of diced tomatoes, a little tomato paste, some beef broth and seasoning, cover and pop in the oven at 250 deg for about 6-8 hours. Take it out of the oven, shred the meat, put it back in the oven with out the lid and let the braising liquid reduce till it's pretty much absorbed. You can do that with a pork butt roast too. Both are good eats.

My crockpot is calling...

Whoops. Wrong sandwich.

I've done a basic recipe like this with pork, beef, and chicken. After slicing or shredding, used different sauces for meals. Teriyaki or other Asian and rice. Gravy and mashed or over baked potato. Natural sauce and noodles. All are good.

I've done a basic recipe like this with pork, beef, and chicken. After slicing or shredding, used different sauces for meals. Teriyaki or other Asian and rice. Gravy and mashed or over baked potato. Natural sauce and noodles. All are good.
Yup. Braising technique is very versatile. Try braising chicken with some mung beans, water, a can of coconut milk, and some Asian spices (coriander, cumin, turmeric) and some cayenne pepper. Then serve it on a bed of rice.

My food for supper was a tribute to the American West....a nice thick T-bone cooked medium. Sure was good.

My food for supper was a tribute to the American West....a nice thick T-bone cooked medium. Sure was good.
You mean American Midwest beef. Cornfed Midwest beef is the best in the world. I'll take an Iowa corn fed ribeye (in fact I had one last night) over some nasty, stringy, tough, grass feed western beef that's only good for hamburger! :p

And a greasy sticky one if you've had many beers?
Listen to you and Grind making fun of the Great State of Ohio.

One from Assachusets. The State with the highest number of assholes per capita in the world.

And then there is Colorado.....where the men are men and the sheep are nervous. Great State Colorado! :megusta:

Back