ABOUT SOCIAL DISTANCING...

Ross Dolan

Contributor
...here are our cats practicing it the way it should be done!

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

https://www.flickr.com/photos/187485180@N04/49682323393/in/dateposted-public/

My cat is all about staying close. He is a rescue who was an abandoned and abused kitten. Now, an 'inside cat,' who wouldn't go out if the door was opened for him. When he was found and turned over to the rescue people he had a flea collar that had been put on him as a tiny kitten, and he had grown around it, nearly choking him. It had to be cut off by a vet. Took a while to gain his trust, and even that depends on no sudden sounds or intrusions.

He is deathly afraid of humans, other animals and pretty much anything big enough to pose a threat. Always ready to run for cover to his 'safe place,' (under a bed, all the way in the corner behind the stuff stowed there.) But when he's not freaked out, he can't get enough attention, pretty much would try to sit in my lap all day if I allowed it. And, being a cat, he loves to play. I flip a toy mouse around the room with a small fishin pole. He can't get enough of it, doing flips trying to get it. He loves the game. After he catches it three times, he gets fed a little. And he can definitely count to three. He knows after the third time he's gonna get some food. Goes trotting right over the the food bowl.

We're still working on giving up the mouse after it's caught. It used to be he would not give it up. So I would just quit and let him have it, dragging the fishin pole and all around behind him. Patiently I got him to begin giving it up when asked and that's when we established the feeding after 3 times. He's better at giving it up now, but it's tough for him. Those claws are just not made to let anything go. And when he's excited I don't think he can pull 'em in easy.

Back