Advice for Job interviewers

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
Nothing is more annoying than having your time wasted by being interviewed for a job by someone who has no interest in hiring you.

The tip off is when they ask questions like, “why haven’t you achieved your goal by now?” or “this job isn’t what you went to school for, why would apply for it?”

Just once, you would like to answer, “Because people like YOU:

(1) Seem to think that you would never encounter one of those people that are affected by the bad economy you’ve read about all these years.
(2) Only hire those with experience…but if the economy is bad, and hiring is at a stand still, how does one get experience without a job.
(3) Don’t like people of my age, or gender, or race, or ethnicity, or religion, or economic class or political/social views.
(4) Read my resume and liked what you saw, but were put off when you actually met me because of .. (see number 3).

But instead, you go through the humiliating motions of justifying part of your life to some clown looking for any excuse not to hire you because (let’s face it) ain’t nothing going on but the rent!

So, in the interest of lowering stress levels and promoting good will in our society, people in the Human Resource/Personnel business with attitudes like the aforementioned should just stick to the basic Q & A interview. Make sure to finish with, “We’ve other applicants to interview, and will call you if we don’t find a better candidate”. That way, they don’t add insult to injury, the company doesn’t get bad mouthed in the streets, and they avoid a possible discrimination lawsuit.

One of the fastest growing business in America is tatoo removal :)

yet another of my predictions coming true.

Nothing is more annoying than having your time wasted by being interviewed for a job by someone who has no interest in hiring you.

The tip off is when they ask questions like, “why haven’t you achieved your goal by now?” or “this job isn’t what you went to school for, why would apply for it?”

Just once, you would like to answer, “Because people like YOU:

(1) Seem to think that you would never encounter one of those people that are affected by the bad economy you’ve read about all these years.
(2) Only hire those with experience…but if the economy is bad, and hiring is at a stand still, how does one get experience without a job.
(3) Don’t like people of my age, or gender, or race, or ethnicity, or religion, or economic class or political/social views.
(4) Read my resume and liked what you saw, but were put off when you actually met me because of .. (see number 3).

But instead, you go through the humiliating motions of justifying part of your life to some clown looking for any excuse not to hire you because (let’s face it) ain’t nothing going on but the rent!

So, in the interest of lowering stress levels and promoting good will in our society, people in the Human Resource/Personnel business with attitudes like the aforementioned should just stick to the basic Q & A interview. Make sure to finish with, “We’ve other applicants to interview, and will call you if we don’t find a better candidate”. That way, they don’t add insult to injury, the company doesn’t get bad mouthed in the streets, and they avoid a possible discrimination lawsuit.

I had an interview like that, once. The guy fixated on something in my resume that I thought was a positive (continuing education) and tried to spin it as being incompatible with the position I was interviewing for. I left there wondering why I even had an interview in the first place, because the guy saw the resume before calling me in.

anyone recall the Peter Principle? Seems like the opposite now. "NO! you cannot reach your level of incompetence here"
It's brutal out there,and isn't looking much better. Thank goodness for my little gig in infomercial land, they hire them, they fire them. Rinse and repeat.

anyone recall the Peter Principle? Seems like the opposite now. "NO! you cannot reach your level of incompetence here"
It's brutal out there,and isn't looking much better. Thank goodness for my little gig in infomercial land, they hire them, they fire them. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of these folks running want ads are just performing "self fulfilling prophecies". You're gig sounds real cut throat....good luck with that.

Good jobs have tons of candidates, nothing more annoying than losers who think they are owed.

Think it through, Dude. The interviewer gets your resume first, most likely through an employment agency that's vetted your resume and references already. So if the applicant is going to the second level, the actual interview with the people who are offering the job, then they are not "losers" by your standards (whatever that may be).

The point of my OP was that if the interviewer has NO desire to hire that applicant, DON'T waste his (or their) time with BS questions...just do some quick prefunctory questions, thank them for their time and and tell them "we're still interviewing".

The vast majority of applicants don't feel they are "owed"....they want to earn their keep. No one likes rejection, but just because a person is in a position of power doesn't give them the right to be jerks.

Think it through, Dude. The interviewer gets your resume first, most likely through an employment agency that's vetted your resume and references already. So if the applicant is going to the second level, the actual interview with the people who are offering the job, then they are not "losers" by your standards (whatever that may be).

The point of my OP was that if the interviewer has NO desire to hire that applicant, DON'T waste his (or their) time with BS questions...just do some quick prefunctory questions, thank them for their time and and tell them "we're still interviewing".

The vast majority of applicants don't feel they are "owed"....they want to earn their keep. No one likes rejection, but just because a person is in a position of power doesn't give them the right to be jerks.
Personally I think you can tell a lot more about a person talking to them than just reading a resume'.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal

Personally I think you can tell a lot more about a person talking to them than just reading a resume'.

A moot point, Dude.....which changes NOTHING regarding the OP or my correcting your "loser" statement. C'mon Dude, is it that tough for you to publically acknowledge that you were wrong on one point? Jeez.

A moot point, Dude.....which changes NOTHING regarding the OP or my correcting your "loser" statement. C'mon Dude, is it that tough for you to publically acknowledge that you were wrong on one point? Jeez.
I've been wrong 1,000 times, not about blindly looking at a resume'.

Back