America's Most UnGodly president ever

Yea, good point. I think our first half dozen Presidents, including Washington were Diest.

Well, in wikipedia, Washington and Monroe are labelled "Episcopal" and "Diest", Madison and Jefferson just "Diest", and John Adams and his son were both Unitarians. The Unitarians were, at the time, a church that seemed to be a bit of an attempt to reconcile deism and Christianity (they've since evolved into a post-Christian church, and don't even require members to be Christian). However, JA definitely couldn't be said to be irreligious, and he actually believed in miracles.

Anyway, that roughly corresponds to the religiosity of each. Madison was never quite as bombastic as Jefferson, which is why I called Jefferson the "most Ungodly". Too bad today all of our presidents today are generic bores who seem to be squeezed out of a tube.

Adams was actually sent to Harvard to prepare him for religious life. His father and ancestors in Braintree had all served as the town deacons in the Congregational Church, and he was expected to be the next "Deacon John." Instead, he chose to be a lawyer, but he never ceased being a fervent believer. He mellowed down in terms of his zealotry, learning to tolerate other Christians. By the time he arrived at Philadelphia, for example, he had ditched the anti-Catholicism he had been brought up with, and which appears in his early writings, and attended Catholic Mass a few times, finding it very moving, even though he found the Latin to be an overall negative.

Adams was actually sent to Harvard to prepare him for religious life. His father and ancestors in Braintree had all served as the town deacons in the Congregational Church, and he was expected to be the next "Deacon John." Instead, he chose to be a lawyer, but he never ceased being a fervent believer. He mellowed down in terms of his zealotry, learning to tolerate other Christians. By the time he arrived at Philadelphia, for example, he had ditched the anti-Catholicism he had been brought up with, and which appears in his early writings, and attended Catholic Mass a few times, finding it very moving, even though he found the Latin to be an overall negative.

Franklin donated to all the churches, currently watching a documentary on him. He was pretty amazing. I want to learn the armonica!

Franklin donated to all the churches, currently watching a documentary on him. He was pretty amazing. I want to learn the armonica!

Franklin attended one of George Whitefield's sermons, intending to be a skeptic, and not donate any money. He was so impressed with it, that he wound up donating anyway. He wound up becoming friends with the man, even though he was never converted to Whitefield's brand of theology.

Back