Amputees in the news

Legion

Oderint dum metuant
Climbing up more than 2,700 steps at the Manitou Incline is hard enough for most people, but Mandy Horvath of Colorado Springs accomplished the feat without the use of her legs.

Horvath is a double amputee, but she rightfully calls herself a bionic woman.

In a video posted to Instagram, Horvath is seen making her way up the steps at the Incline, which is famous for its grueling ascent near the base of Pikes Peak. It's a series of railroad ties that go up about 2,000 feet in less than a mile, and the trail provides a stunning view for those who reach the top.

But for Horvath, her effort was on display as an inspiration. She planned the excursion as a way to support Limb Loss Awareness Month.

"To my knowledge, I am the first female double amputee to reach the top. I'm so thankful for my life and the ability to display that absolutely anything is possible," Horvath wrote on Facebook. Her next goal with the climb is to claim an official Guinness World Record for being the first female double amputee to top the Manitou Incline. She's hoping to raise the $10,000 needed to bring an adjudicator to Colorado to witness the record and put it in the books.

http://www.krdo.com/news/colorado-springs-woman-climbs-manitou-inclinewith-no-legs/733988475

A Central Florida man is accused of hiding his legless fugitive girlfriend from police by stuffing her into a plastic storage container.

Forty-eight-year-old John Robert Carr Jr. of Winter Haven is charged with resisting arrest. News outlets report Carr attempted to hide 39-year-old Krystle Lee Anderson from U.S. marshals and Polk County Sheriff's deputies.

Anderson was wanted for failing to appear in court on charges including false imprisonment related to a 2015 incident when she allegedly held people hostage at a Burger King with a BB gun. It ended in a shooting with police and she lost both legs.

Authorities received a tip that Anderson was with Carr. He denied Anderson was there, but an officer had spotted Carr placing the now-4-foot-tall woman into the container. She surrendered without incident.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/police-florida-man-hid-legless-fugitive-girlfriend-in-plastic-tote

Back