Another Day, Another (Republican) Scandal

OrnotBitwise

Watermelon
Okay conspiracy buffs, you may commence tuning up for another round. Yet another Republican representative stands accused of corruption right in the middle of a tight race for re-election.

Is the FBI really investigating Curt Weldon for nepotism? Who knows? The question is whether the voters in his district will believe his protestations to the contrary.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The FBI is investigating whether Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., used his influence to secure lobbying and consulting contracts for his daughter, two people familiar with the inquiry said Saturday.

The inquiry focuses on lobbying contracts worth $1 million that Weldon's daughter, Karen Weldon, obtained from foreign clients and whether the congressman helped steer them, they said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidentiality of the criminal investigation.

Weldon, a 10-term Republican from the Philadelphia suburbs, long has denied any wrongdoing, and his top aide said Saturday no one had notified him of an investigation.

"I think if there was an investigation, somebody would have contacted us," said Russ Caso, Weldon's chief of staff.

Caso said Weldon and his staff were "100 percent caught off guard" when they learned of the investigation, first reported late Friday by McClatchy Newspapers. This account cited two individuals with knowledge of the existence of the investigation who declined to be identified because of the confidentiality of criminal investigations.

Caso, whose boss is in a tight race for re-election on November 7 against Democrat Joe Sestak, tried to cast doubt on the report of the investigation. "Unidentified sources mean nothing," Caso said. "There's no substance in that story. It's a flimsy story."

Two people familiar with the investigation told AP on Saturday that the inquiry was being handled by agents from the FBI's field offices in Washington and Philadelphia and was being coordinated by the Justice Department's Public Integrity Section. Spokesmen for the Justice Department and the FBI declined comment Saturday.

Those two people familiar with the investigation confirmed that federal agents were examining Weldon's work between 2002 and 2004 to help two Russian companies and two Serbian brothers connected to former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic. They had hired Solutions North America Inc., a company operated by Karen Weldon and Charles Sexton, a Republican ally of the congressman.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/14/congressman.contracts.ap/index.html

I don't know about you pinhead, but the first thing I wonder when I read this is, what did Nancy Pelosi know about this, and when did she know it?

I always find it interesting how these "people" who claim this stuff is happening in the FBI, are always "anonymous" and never "on the record" with their claims. It's almost as curious as how readily you people believe them, and refuse to even question the claims.

Is the FBI really investigating Curt Weldon for nepotism? Who knows? The question is whether the voters in his district will believe his protestations to the contrary.

This says it all... it's not whether Weldon did anything wrong, or there is even any real investigation, it's a matter of fooling the people into thinking it. It's another great example of how Democrats will stoop to any level to regain power.

I always find it interesting how these "people" who claim this stuff is happening in the FBI, are always "anonymous" and never "on the record" with their claims. It's almost as curious as how readily you people believe them, and refuse to even question the claims.

ROTFLMAO

I'm sorry...coming from someone who still believes "curveball" is a superspy, this is just hysterical.

Anyone who starts a post with these words, "I always find it interesting how" will never get me to read the rest of the post. "Interesting" is one of the most overused and worthless adjectives in the English language, it is in and of itself not enlightening. It goes no information other than to provoke the too seldom asked question why is it that you actually find this or that "interesting"? And if you know why it is or what you find interesting about a certain thing or topic, you are saying is "interesting," then say that instead, but forgo further use of the uninteresting and worthless adjective "interesting". It is only one step above the other worthless and overused form of the same word, "interestingly" which is too often used by academics as a sort of connecting adverb. In short, anyone who uses these two words is a lazy writer, who has not spent enough time thinking through what they are trying to say for me to believe that they really know what they are trying to say or in some cases have anything to say.

Back