Anthony Davidson breaks back in Le Mans crash

I witnessed this accident at Indy. It was the first time I had gone to Indy. Ongais's intial impact with the wall occured right where we were sitting and I knew that I had just seen a man die. I was wrong. He survived and was back and Indy the following year.

Here's one of the worst accidents at Indy. This was in 73. Swede Savage actually survived the impact but died about a week later from the burns he suffered when the gas tank ignited. The race had been postponed a day due to rain. The next day it was still wet but they ran it anyways. Worst decision in the history of the Indy 500. This accident led to fuel cells being mandated. On a sad note, an emergency vehicle went the wrong way down pit road and hit and killed a crewman.

Here's another Indy 500 accident that it's a miracle that the driver survived. Look carefully at the replay of the wreck. You can see after the initial contact the front of Stan Fox's car is sheered off. He then, with his legs exposed, spins into the wall again crushing his legs. How the hell he survived this is beyond me.

Back