Any SEC Sanctions?

cawacko

Looks like the NCAA has a major hard on at the moment and is really targeting agents contacting players. North and South Carolina are both getting heat. Florida is going to get looked at after this Pouncey (sp?) news. Wonder if UF will get a one year bowl ban for using an ineligible player like USC did? Also hearing rumblings about LSU. Topspin you hearing anything locally?

Looks like the NCAA has a major hard on at the moment and is really targeting agents contacting players. North and South Carolina are both getting heat. Florida is going to get looked at after this Pouncey (sp?) news. Wonder if UF will get a one year bowl ban for using an ineligible player like USC did? Also hearing rumblings about LSU. Topspin you hearing anything locally?

I have heard that the NCAA is looking at South Carolina and Florida. I heard LSU is getting looked at as well, but no one else yet.

I think Bama will sit this one out, if its all the same to everyone else.

It looks like 'Bama could be invited to the party as well...

Dareus may have attended agent's party

By Ivan Maisel and Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- University of Alabama officials are investigating whether junior defensive lineman Marcel Dareus broke NCAA rules by attending an agent's party in Miami's South Beach earlier this summer, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Dareus, ranked as the No. 7 prospect for the 2011 NFL draft by ESPN analyst Mel Kiper, is the latest prominent college football player to be entangled in an evolving NCAA investigation into illegal contact and conduct by sports agents.

"Our [university] compliance people are looking into it," Alabama coach Nick Saban said.

Sources told ESPN last week that NCAA investigators have interviewed North Carolina players, including defensive end Marvin Austin, about attending the party. South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders also confirmed to ESPN on Sunday that he recently spoke with NCAA investigators about the same party.

The NCAA is trying to determine who paid for the players' transportation to Miami and lodging, food and entertainment while they were there.

And in what appears to be an unrelated incident, Florida and NCAA officials are investigating whether former Gators offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey accepted $100,000 from the representative of an agent between the 2009 SEC championship game and his team's season-ending victory over Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Saban, a former coach of the NFL's Miami Dolphins, said it may be time to ban NFL teams from college campuses in order to get the league to take seriously the issue of agents boldly breaking NCAA regulations. Alabama is considered one of the more welcoming schools to NFL scouts, who may come watch video at almost any time.

But Saban says it may now be time for a change.

"What the NFL Players Association and the NFL need to do is if any agent breaks a rule and causes ineligibility for a player, they should suspend his [agent's] license for a year or two," Saban said. "I'm about ready for college football to say, 'Let's just throw the NFL out. Don't let them evaluate players. Don't let them talk to players. Let them do it at the combine.' If they are not going to help us, why should we help them?"

Saban said he also believes that the NCAA should "take schools off the hook" for the actions of agents and players. In the end, however, he points at the former.

"Right now, agents are screwing it up," Saban said. "They are taking the eligibility of players. It's not right that those players do the wrong thing. We have a great education process here. We have a full-time worker who meets with players and their families and does everything else."

In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday in advance of SEC media days, conference commissioner Mike Slive said that he would like the NCAA at some point to consider changes to rules involving agents.

"The agent issue is one that's been of concern not only to us but I think to everyone associated with intercollegiate athletics and I do think it's time to re-examine some of the NCAA rules that relate to agents," he said. "I have felt for a long time that it would be helpful to be able to provide student-athletes with more information and more opportunities to learn what their professional potential might be than is currently allowed by NCAA rules."

Slive said the SEC had already taken steps to help member schools deal with agent issues before the recent NCAA investigations. The league brought in consultant Joe Mendes earlier this year to meet with officials at all 12 institutions, "and several have retained him to help provide the kind of information and knowledge that our student-athletes need to make good decisions about their future," Slive said. "And to do it the right way and not in violation of NCAA rules."

Alabama is among the schools enlisting the services of Mendes, a longtime NFL executive who was vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins. He now runs Cornerstone Sports Consulting in Leesburg, Va.

Dareus, from Huffman, Ala., is expected to be one of defending BCS national champion Alabama's top defensive performers this coming season. He finished the 2009 season with 33 tackles, nine tackles for loss and team-high 6½ sacks. He returned an interception 28 yards for a touchdown in the Crimson Tide's 37-21 victory over Texas in the BCS National Championship Game at the Rose Bowl.

NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis didn't respond to email requests from ESPN.com.

Well shit.

I think Saban is right. Its time to ban the NFL until they start revoking the licences of teh agents who intentionally violate the NCAA rules.

Just a thought, but is Colt McCoy related to anyone involved in this? lol

Well shit.

I think Saban is right. Its time to ban the NFL until they start revoking the licences of teh agents who intentionally violate the NCAA rules.

Just a thought, but is Colt McCoy related to anyone involved in this? lol

LOL @ Colt.

I agree with what Saban says. My guess is they could nail every school with violations if they want to it's just a matter of how hard they want to look.

LOL @ Colt.

I agree with what Saban says. My guess is they could nail every school with violations if they want to it's just a matter of how hard they want to look.
Yea I heard that the NCAA is so mad at Florida that they're extending sanctions on Bowling Green for two more years.

Everything I am reading says it was a single party, and it was after the 2009 season ended.

Which means we may lose Dareus, but there is not going to be anything done to the school.

Damn shame to lose a major talent, but he should have known better.

Now lets get some hard pressure on the NFL to bustthese agents of they have improper contact with college athletes.

Everything I am reading says it was a single party, and it was after the 2009 season ended.

Which means we may lose Dareus, but there is not going to be anything done to the school.

Damn shame to lose a major talent, but he should have known better.

Now lets get some hard pressure on the NFL to bustthese agents of they have improper contact with college athletes.
I think Saban has the right idea. If he loses a player due to improper contact with an agent and the NFL doesn't sanction the agent involved, then he should kick the NFL off campus. It should be a quid pro quo arrangement between colldge and the NFL.

LOL @ Colt.

I've said that for a LONG time. My gut instinct is, you will soon see the major universities leave the NCAA, and form their own organization, devoted to their own interests. Many of them did just that back in the 70's, because of TV.

I've said that for a LONG time. My gut instinct is, you will soon see the major universities leave the NCAA, and form their own organization, devoted to their own interests. Many of them did just that back in the 70's, because of TV.

That sounds good, but isn't practical. The NCAA umbrella covers so many sports. And if only teh major powers go, who will they play?

The simplest answer is to force the NFL to have sanctions against agents that have improper contact with amateur athletes. If they have contact with a college athlete before he declares, they lose their licence for 1 year. That could cost them major bucks.

As it is, they have no reason NOT to go after these kids. It screws the kids, the schools and the fans. But the agents make more money.

That sounds good, but isn't practical. The NCAA umbrella covers so many sports. And if only teh major powers go, who will they play?

The simplest answer is to force the NFL to have sanctions against agents that have improper contact with amateur athletes. If they have contact with a college athlete before he declares, they lose their licence for 1 year. That could cost them major bucks.

As it is, they have no reason NOT to go after these kids. It screws the kids, the schools and the fans. But the agents make more money.

Well, when the CFA was formed in the 70's, they didn't have a problem scheduling games. This was done in response to the NCAA prohibition, or limitations on TV rights, which had become Big Business for college football and the universities. The result was, the NCAA eventually caved and opened up the TV contracts for the schools, and everyone was happy again. I see the same thing happening again if this nonsense keeps happening to the major schools.

Well, when the CFA was formed in the 70's, they didn't have a problem scheduling games. This was done in response to the NCAA prohibition, or limitations on TV rights, which had become Big Business for college football and the universities. The result was, the NCAA eventually caved and opened up the TV contracts for the schools, and everyone was happy again. I see the same thing happening again if this nonsense keeps happening to the major schools.

I did a quick google search for CFA and got nothing resembling an alternative to the NCAA.

Link?

Are you old enough to remember when no school had more than two or three televised games per year? The CFA ended all of that.

Was that back when Notre Dame has such a huge advantage by having their contract with NBC which showed them on TV more than every other school?

Was that back when Notre Dame has such a huge advantage by having their contract with NBC which showed them on TV more than every other school?

I think it was before that, because the NCAA regulated it at one time, and they just wouldn't allow any team to have more than a certain number of televised games per season. The Supreme Court (I think) ruled on it, and gave the schools permission to seek their own TV contracts, which Notre Dame had no problem doing with NBC.

From what I read, the reason the CFA had no trouble scheduling games is because it was still a matter of scheduling between all the NCAA schools. There was no change in who played who, just who got broadcast.

Ok, it must be witch-hunt time for the NCAA. They are now wanting to question Mark Ingram because he attended a party, despite the fact he cleared the trip to DC with the UA compliance person and has receipts for his travel.

Jeez

Back