Any Watch Freaks?

Street Glider

Verified User
These days, it's becoming more and more common for people to rely on their cell phone when they want to know what time it is. While I could certainly do that, as well, I appreciate a finely designed and manufactured time piece. The only unfortunate part is that, owning over 40 automatic and manual wind wrist watches, I absolutely dread daylight savings time. That said, I don't always set the time and date them all, simply because many of them are watches I rarely wear.

My current daily wear piece is a Breitling Colt 43:

51499507927_3928ed593e_c.jpg

Anyone else?

Attachments

• 51499507927_eafabe9463_o.jpg
    51499507927_eafabe9463_o.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
I am proud of the fact that at 50 years of age, I have never wasted my money strapping a clock to my body

I also have not set an alarm in decades - I'll wake up when I wake up

I am proud of the fact that at 50 years of age, I have never wasted my money strapping a clock to my body

Ahhh, I don't see it as a waste of money. I enjoy them; the craftsmanship of many are truly works of art...

I also have not set an alarm in decades - I'll wake up when I wake up

Always working the night shift, or does your internal clock always wake you up in time for whatever you need to be awake for?

I do appreciate finely engineered and designed watches but its a hobby I have not chosen to afford.

I get by with my Samsung smartwatch.

I do appreciate finely engineered and designed watches but its a hobby I have not chosen to afford.

I get by with my Samsung smartwatch.

It can get a bit spendy.

I bought my first "nice" watch, a stainless Rolex DateJust, at a shopping mall jewelry store in Charleston, SC in 1986. I think it cost $1,100. I was only an E-5 in the Navy at the time, but my wife insisted. I ended up selling it some years later so I could buy a guitar and an amplifier, which were later sold because I insisted on having a new car stereo. Talk about diminishing returns. That model watch, from that year, now sells in the $6,000 range.

My next nice watch was an Oris Williams F1. Most people are unfamiliar with the brand, but they're wonderful pieces. I bought it for $1,100 back in 2005, and I still wear it:

6565241029_933a02d844_o.jpg

After that, I became a bit enamored with watches: Rolex, Panerai, IWC, Breitling, Ulysses Nardin, Omega among others. Thankfully I was doing very, very well professionally and could afford to acquire them. But it wasn't all "high end" stuff. I found a company called Deep Blue. They made exclusively dive watches. They used Seiko automatic movements, and were a ridiculous value. A nice, high quality tool watch for not a lot of money. I bought my first one used, and paid only $200 for it.

My first new one was $350:

14979675450_aaf2c2c755_o.jpg

Nine times out of ten I'll be wearing one of those when out on the boat or when diving...

These days, it's becoming more and more common for people to rely on their cell phone when they want to know what time it is. While I could certainly do that, as well, I appreciate a finely designed and manufactured time piece. The only unfortunate part is that, owning over 40 automatic and manual wind wrist watches, I absolutely dread daylight savings time. That said, I don't always set the time and date them all, simply because many of them are watches I rarely wear.

My current daily wear piece is a Breitling Colt 43:

51499507927_3928ed593e_c.jpg

Anyone else?

Not me. Last watch I had, a relative bought for me, so I wore it to work the next day. I get about 60 feet up in the air and the wristband pops. Watch falls all the way to the ground; Last time I wore it.

I scooped up the mess at the end of the day and put it in a drawer where it still is. That was around 2004. :dunno:

My problem with it is that it creates tan lines. That was the reason why I had those watches that hang off your belt or whatever.

Not me. Last watch I had, a relative bought for me, so I wore it to work the next day. I get about 60 feet up in the air and the wristband pops. Watch falls all the way to the ground; Last time I wore it.

I scooped up the mess at the end of the day and put it in a drawer where it still is. That was around 2004. :dunno:

What was (is) it?

At this point, I feel naked without a watch on...

Always working the night shift, or does your internal clock always wake you up in time for whatever you need to be awake for?

no - I just have flex time days in I/T - and never schedule early meetings

It can get a bit spendy.

I bought my first "nice" watch, a stainless Rolex DateJust, at a shopping mall jewelry store in Charleston, SC in 1986. I think it cost $1,100. I was only an E-5 in the Navy at the time, but my wife insisted. I ended up selling it some years later so I could buy a guitar and an amplifier, which were later sold because I insisted on having a new car stereo. Talk about diminishing returns. That model watch, from that year, now sells in the $6,000 range.

My next nice watch was an Oris Williams F1. Most people are unfamiliar with the brand, but they're wonderful pieces. I bought it for $1,100 back in 2005, and I still wear it:

View attachment 21326

After that, I became a bit enamored with watches: Rolex, Panerai, IWC, Breitling, Ulysses Nardin, Omega among others. Thankfully I was doing very, very well professionally and could afford to acquire them. But it wasn't all "high end" stuff. I found a company called Deep Blue. They made exclusively dive watches. They used Seiko automatic movements, and were a ridiculous value. A nice, high quality tool watch for not a lot of money. I bought my first one used, and paid only $200 for it.

My first new one was $350:

View attachment 21325

Nine times out of ten I'll be wearing one of those when out on the boat or when diving...

my brother came back from Vietnam with an Omega which I thought was the coolest thing I'd seen.
it only occurred to me MUCH later that it MIGHT have been a knock off. But he's still wearing it so looks like its the real deal ! Dont know the model, wasnt super complex but distinguished looking.

I sleep, shower, swim, everything while wearing. Never take it off. It’s a solar powered Citizen. Change to my Garmin Fenix 3 in winter until we get to Hawaii in January.
No light up here.

I sleep, shower, swim, everything while wearing. Never take it off. It’s a solar powered Citizen. Change to my Garmin Fenix 3 in winter until we get to Hawaii in January.
No light up here.

I have a solar powered Citizen watch myself. My other dress watch is a Bulova. Both are extremely accurate.

I am probably the only one here who carries a pocket watch. A Belair half-hunter with matching pin knife and I have my wedding ring as a watch fob. That is a long-standing thing with me. I go "dead front" and wear no jewelry because these are potential shock and injury hazards in an industrial environment.

s-l300.jpg

I have an older Andre Rivelle 17 jewel half-hunter (for those who don't know, a half-hunter has a hunting scene on the cover and a plain back, versus a hunter with a scene on both) but it needs service and it's getting really hard to find anyone who does that any more.

21289_1_x.jpg

I am a pocket watch fan, too.

I had one when I was about 10 years old.

Asked for and got it for Christmas.

I don't like ornate cases, but rather clean simple designs.

I'd like to collect them but it's an exoensive hobby.

Haven't worn a wrist watch for years.

Back