Anyone catch "Fantastic Lies" on ESPN?

They've been showing it the past few weeks - it's about the Duke Lacrosse scandal.

Really powerful documentary, and says a lot about who we are as a society now in terms of how quickly we rush to judgment and how the internet has basically made judges & juries of us all. Scathing indictment on the media, as well.

It's also amazing that there are still some who refuse to admit they were wrong in assigning guilt to the players.

They've been showing it the past few weeks - it's about the Duke Lacrosse scandal.

Really powerful documentary, and says a lot about who we are as a society now in terms of how quickly we rush to judgment and how the internet has basically made judges & juries of us all. Scathing indictment on the media, as well.

It's also amazing that there are still some who refuse to admit they were wrong in assigning guilt to the players.

You really can't be surprised.

Having been meaning to record it but haven't. Yes, have heard it's excellent. Not surprising the kids charged didn't want to participate.

Having been meaning to record it but haven't. Yes, have heard it's excellent. Not surprising the kids charged didn't want to participate.

They actually did get a few of them, and their parents. I mean, I read about it all when it was happening, but the doc really details how severely this changed their lives. "Innocent until proven guilty" wasn't even a consideration for the media, the school or pretty much anyone who was following the case.

And so typical of who we are now. I don't think we learned anything from what happened at Duke. We're still seeing the same rush to judgment and willingness to proclaim guilt on all kinds of incidents and cases now.

They actually did get a few of them, and their parents. I mean, I read about it all when it was happening, but the doc really details how severely this changed their lives. "Innocent until proven guilty" wasn't even a consideration for the media, the school or pretty much anyone who was following the case.

And so typical of who we are now. I don't think we learned anything from what happened at Duke. We're still seeing the same rush to judgment and willingness to proclaim guilt on all kinds of incidents and cases now.

You would obviously know better as you watched it but I thought I read at least two of the three main kids didn't want to participate?

You would obviously know better as you watched it but I thought I read at least two of the three main kids didn't want to participate?

My mistake - when I read your comment, I was thinking of just players on the team, a few of whom did give interviews. The 3 guys who were actually charged didn't participate, though their parents all gave interviews.

All the race hustlers would not admit they made a mistake and liberals jumped on the bandwagon. In the end, Crystal Gail Mangum is where she belongs, in prison for murder.

Well they were definitely guilty of bad judgement but at that age I was too. I was pretty spot on in my assessment. It was a Duke preppy party, and they got mouthy with a working class stripper they hired. She decided to show her ass by claiming they raped her and they learned a real, real hard lesson.

We're they guilty of rape? Hell no. Were they stupid big mouthed, advantaged, preppys who are difficult to sympathize with? Certainly. Did they deserve to have their character and reputations slimed in public like they did. No, they didn't.

Oh yea....and that freakin ape Nifong should have been shot. There are just to many arrogant and amoral prosecutors who can rationalize anything to advance their careers and the peoples lives they ruin are just collateral damage to what is really important. Their careers.

They've been showing it the past few weeks

Just finished watching it. Wow. Among the many people to feel for in all that I feel for the coach. He stood by his players and took a serious fall. As the youngsters say 'my jimmies were definitely rustled watching that'

Yeah, I followed the story with regard to the players and the school, but I never really heard anything about Nifong until he was punished and disbarred. He was the most fascinating part of the documentary to me.

Back