Anyone miss the Days of Flag-burning Legislation?

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
I almost forgot what real-life issues were

Democrats Slash Student Loan Rates

AP -- The House legislation, passed 356-71, would slice rates on the subsidized loans from 6.8 percent to 3.4 percent in stages over five years at a cost to taxpayers of $6 billion. About 5.5 million students get the loans each year. ... Democrats conceded Congress needs to do more to make college more affordable. But they said reducing student loan interest rates was a significant step toward tuition relief.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5034177

Damn that is money worth spending.

Beats the hell out of building a building in Iraq three times over because of bombings.

"......at a cost to taxpayers of $6 billion."

This is going to cause some fiscal conservatives to go insane. Not me though, I'm all for it. I truly believe the way out of a bad situation (home life, poverty, etc.) is education. Education has become far too pricy in recent years. I am ready to see what more they will do to help.

Oh, I must also say that I was in favor of the flag burning legislation too. I know, I am a supressor of "free speech" but hey, we can't all be perfect.

I just loved watching the Rep guy on CSPAN las night stand up and say " it is too little too late". Now who has controlled congress for 12 yrs or so and is saying it is too late ? The republican lounge must be well stocked with kool-aid.

This is going to cause some fiscal conservatives to go insane. Not me though, I'm all for it. I truly believe the way out of a bad situation (home life, poverty, etc.) is education. Education has become far too pricy in recent years. I am ready to see what more they will do to help.
Oh, stumble not over that straw. To satisfy the legitimate concerns of true fiscal conservatives, $6 billion could easily be trimmed from the DoD material procurement items for the budget year. A couple of aircraft and one warship hardly seem like too much to sacrifice.

Education is important but it is not a panacea for poverty or social stratification. As we've seen in parts of Europe, as education becomes more readily available it also becomes less valuable in terms of earning potential. The more people who have a BS, for example, the less in demand that BS will be. The wage premium just tends to shift to a Master's degree, or even higher.

We need jobs that require a degree as well. Low paid service industry jobs don't fill the bill.
a degree with no jobs is kinda like a new car and no roads.

Oh, stumble not over that straw. To satisfy the legitimate concerns of true fiscal conservatives, $6 billion could easily be trimmed from the DoD material procurement items for the budget year. A couple of aircraft and one warship hardly seem like too much to sacrifice.

If it were me I would look someplace besides the Dept. of Defense for trimmings. But then I am an advocate for a strong (the strongest, in fact) national defense.

If it were me I would look someplace besides the Dept. of Defense for trimmings. But then I am an advocate for a strong (the strongest, in fact) national defense.
We could cut the Defense (sic) budget by 75% and still outspend any two other nations. Get real: there's no excuse for all this hardware any longer.

And this is the way to support education rather than attempting to direct all education at a national level...

I truly believe that equal opportunity begins with solid education and promote education as one of the best ways to end many of the nation's ills...

Back