Are Americans Halfway Towards Economic Slavery? Yes! says Walter Williams

NewsBoy

News Delivery
From Jan. 1 until May 8, five months out of the year, the government decides how our earnings are spent. Economist Walter Williams likened this to slavery in the sense that someone works all year and someone else decides how the fruits of his or her labor will be used. So in effect, Americans are nearly halfway towards economic slavery.

More at link...

Americans are eager to be economic slaves and cry if they can't be . Americans are going in debt at record rates for wide screen TV's, new autos, etc....
Stoopid fools....

Last edited:
I went to sams last week and the nice big widescreen LCD and such TV's have dropped by over 50% since last year at this time. I'll bet there are a lot of sick folks out there seeing a $1,700 tv that is better than the one they paid 4k for last year and are still paying for it. Being first is expensive, you pay for that percieved status ;)

Have you become a libertairian?

>>From Jan. 1 until May 8, five months out of the year, the government decides how our earnings are spent. Williams likened this to slavery in the sense that someone works all year and someone else decides how the fruits of his or her labor will be used. So in effect, Americans are nearly halfway towards economic slavery.
The primary justification for intrusion into private property and economic freedom... can be found in people's desire for the government to do good... It's nice to think that the government can do good," Williams said. But "government has no resources of its very own... The only way for government to give someone a dollar is, [through] intimidation, threat, and coercion, take that dollar from someone else."
To illustrate his point, he asked the audience to imagine what would happen if an individual did privately the same thing the government does. If a person stole from another person in order to help a homeless person, we call that theft, even though it was done out of benevolence. But if the government does the same thing through social welfare, "there is no conceptual distinction between both acts," except that one is illegal theft and the other is legal theft.
What is legal is not a good guide for American society because what is legal is not always moral, Williams said. He used slavery as an example of a legal institution that was immoral.
"I believe in charity," Williams said. "I believe that reaching into one's own pockets to help your fellow man is praiseworthy and laudable, but reaching in someone else's pockets is wrong."

Yep, I was just emphasizing that most people don't really care, the ones that do care wind up being victimized and used by the Bushies and their ilk. And they try as hard as they can to be even bigger economic slaves.

That is ok, toby, I did not blame Americans stupidity on Bush. Au contrare, he is the result of Americans stupidity.

Glad you admit your contempt for your fellow citizen. That is what I have accused you of for a long time, nice to see you admit it.

Oh I feeely admit contempt for the masses in the USA. There are smart people, but collectively the masses are contemptable, stupid, and easially misled.
I am suprised (not really) it took you this long to realize I felt this way Toby, not very perceptive of you.

You are not giving up on me, you are giving up on yourself. You can't make your argument. You post responses that have nothing to do with the thread and then insult the American public as being stupid. You are looking into a mirror.

Oh I also admit to having done stupid things in the past , some were very stupid. And I don't expect to be fully finished doing stupid stuff in my life. But carrying this thread any farther with you toby will not be one of those stupid things.

Back