Asian Martial Arts vs. Western Martial Arts

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I love watching martial arts of all varieties but I have come to the conclusion that in a real world sense, particularly where personal self defense is concerned as opposed to competition, the Western Martial arts are certainly superior to the Eastern.

You see that particularly illustrated in MMA. Those who master western boxing and wrestling dominate the sport. Certainly there is a fair amount of Brazilian Ju Jitsu hybrid but still the vast majority of Eastern Martial arts are to flawed and will lose to someone who has mastered western style striking as represented by Boxing and most submission moves are standard western wrestling techniques. I've seen to many Eastern style fighters try to throw kicks and get handed their asses. It works on occasion but most of the time you get caught with an inside defensive move or miss and are placed off balance and get your ass handed to you.

Same with all the Eastern Blade/Sword martial arts. As impressive as they look, they are all based primarily on slashing techniques and are inferior to Western swordplay predicated on stabbing. The best Kendo masters lose two thirds of the time to a Western fencer fencing master armed with a rapier. It boils down that the stabbing philosophy is a more efficient and effective manner of killing than slashing cuts are.

Any thoughts as to why the Western Martial arts are superior to the Eastern?

I love watching martial arts of all varieties but I have come to the conclusion that in a real world sense, particularly where personal self defense is concerned as opposed to competition, the Western Martial arts are certainly superior to the Eastern.

You see that particularly illustrated in MMA. Those who master western boxing and wrestling dominate the sport. Certainly there is a fair amount of Brazilian Ju Jitsu hybrid but still the vast majority of Eastern Martial arts are to flawed and will lose to someone who has mastered western style striking as represented by Boxing. I've seen to many Eastern style fighters try to kick boxers and get handed their asses. It works on occasion but most of the time you get caught with an inside defensive move or miss and are placed off balance and get your ass handed to you.

Same with all the Eastern Blade/Sword martial arts. As impressive as they look, they are all based primarily on slashing techniques and are inferior to Western swordplay. The best Kendo masters lose two thirds of the time to a Western fencer who has mastered the rapier. It boils down that the stabbing philosophy is a more efficient and effective manner of killing than slashing cuts are.

Any thoughts as to why the Western Martial arts are superior to the Eastern?

They aren't. Dude, I have Amazon Prime, Fire TV and I watch Kung Fu movies all the time and the Hong Kong shit from the '70's is the best. Last night I watched Iron Finger Master (no Domer, it had nothing to do with date rape).

They aren't. Dude, I have Amazon Prime, Fire TV and I watch Kung Fu movies all the time and the Hong Kong shit from the '70's is the best. Last night I watched Iron Finger Master (no Domer, it had nothing to do with date rape).

LOL You watch to many movies. :)

But yea...I'm a big Bruce Lee fan too.

btw, the reason you think western masters dominnate is because the west is populated with western masters.
Well that's because they beat the Eastern masters ass.

I mean it just takes simple observation. Eastern Martial artist strike can strike hard. Those with the hardest fist/hand strikes are Karate masters but watch them complete against boxers of the same weight classification and the very best Karate masters don't strike nearly as hard as professional boxers. Not even close. As for others like Kung Fu or Taekwondo, they don't even come close. Hell I've seen Korean boxers easily knockout Taekwondo competitors with relative ease.

The Eastern styles look spectacular but the basic striking method of boxing just generates more body mass and momentum into striking power. Karate is the only one I've seen that comes close but that's just it...it comes close...they just don't hit quite as hard. Boxers strike with between 25 to 50% more power than a Karate strike.

Last edited:
Take your MMA guys to the far east and let them compete against actual easters martial artists and see how they fare.

Here's an example of what I mean. See how wide open the Karate fighters are and how easily the boxers block their strikes and kicks (and how those kicks get them into trouble) and then also notice how the boxers are generating far more power in their strikes.

5 seconds into this one shows you what I mean about kicking. Again, notice how wide open to being hit the Karate fighter is and how easily the Boxer defends his strikes.

Yes, yes I do. I love kung fu movies.
Meh I outgrew Kung Fu movies as they were never the same after Bruce Lee died. Sorry if that offends Jackie Chan fans. I never did outgrow Japanese Kaiju movies. Can't wait till the new Godzilla movie comes out in May.

Meh I outgrew Kung Fu movies as they were never the same after Bruce Lee died. Sorry if that offends Jackie Chan fans. I never did outgrow Japanese Kaiju movies. Can't wait till the new Godzilla movie comes out in May.

Dude, you missed the Hong Kong wave. They made some good shit.

5 seconds into this one shows you what I mean about kicking. Again, notice how wide open to being hit the Karate fighter is and how easily the Boxer defends his strikes.

Muay Thai would win out against most orthodox boxers. A skilled boxer who confronts a skilled Thai boxer is unable to cope with low kicks, knees or high kicks.

Muay Thai would win out against most orthodox boxers. A skilled boxer who confronts a skilled Thai boxer is unable to cope with low kicks, knees or high kicks.
The fight that first got Manny Pacqiuo broad attention by boxing promoter is when he knocked out Thailand’s Muay Thai Champion and, if I remember correctly, it was a first round knockout.

So what? Here is another fight, guess who wins?

I've watched to many MMA fights Tom. A competent boxer using an open stance will defeat a Muay Thai/K-1 style fighter 3 out of 4 times. Now...yea...fighting in a closed, leading stance against a Muay Thai boxer....sure, they'll take your legs out with short kicks. An open stance boxer will simply find his range, and either step out side his range or turn in and block his kicks.

Watch Pacman find this Muay Thai fighterts distance with his footwork, cut the ring off, then knock him out with a counter to the liver.

Back