...At least we didn't make Jo Pa cry!

Saturday would have been Bear Bryant's 97th birthday, and it was so fitting to see Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Nick Saban on the sidelines before the game. Saban talks of his boyhood memories of Jo Pa... and it occurred to me, we all grew up with boyhood memories of Jo Pa! I think my granddad had childhood memories of Jo Pa!

I greatly admire and respect him as a legend of college football, and I was particularly proud of the crowd at the game, the Alabama fans who showed great respect for Penn State, in spite of our historic rivalry. I was fortunate to be among the 102k who packed the house, and there were another 50k or so, in the parking lots surrounding the stadium, watching from the tailgate! A phenomenal crowd in Tuscaloosa, the largest they had ever seen, according to some business owners.

Alabama played an almost flawless football game, from start to finish, and the freshman QB for Penn State, never really had a chance. It was a huge win for Alabama, and they continued to impress me. I think they are light years ahead of where they were this time last year, in terms of execution. They had a few penalties they shouldn't have had, and the refs tried to help PSU as much as they could, especially on that 'triple fumble' play.. Should have been Alabama's ball at the 1, not Penn State's! But whatever, it was almost as much fun to have our D on the field.

I honestly didn't want to see Alabama humiliate Penn State, I think I got exactly the game I wanted. Jo Pa left with his dignity, and even had a smile on his face as he fondly patted Saban on the cheek at midfield after the game...and for a moment, you could literally see that once-admiring young boy in Saban's eyes. It was so cool! ~~ROLL TIDE!

You guys also didn't seem to miss that guy that won that trophy thingy last year either. Richardson is amazing!

Saturday would have been Bear Bryant's 97th birthday, and it was so fitting to see Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Nick Saban on the sidelines before the game. Saban talks of his boyhood memories of Jo Pa... and it occurred to me, we all grew up with boyhood memories of Jo Pa! I think my granddad had childhood memories of Jo Pa!

I greatly admire and respect him as a legend of college football, and I was particularly proud of the crowd at the game, the Alabama fans who showed great respect for Penn State, in spite of our historic rivalry. I was fortunate to be among the 102k who packed the house, and there were another 50k or so, in the parking lots surrounding the stadium, watching from the tailgate! A phenomenal crowd in Tuscaloosa, the largest they had ever seen, according to some business owners.

Alabama played an almost flawless football game, from start to finish, and the freshman QB for Penn State, never really had a chance. It was a huge win for Alabama, and they continued to impress me. I think they are light years ahead of where they were this time last year, in terms of execution. They had a few penalties they shouldn't have had, and the refs tried to help PSU as much as they could, especially on that 'triple fumble' play.. Should have been Alabama's ball at the 1, not Penn State's! But whatever, it was almost as much fun to have our D on the field.

I honestly didn't want to see Alabama humiliate Penn State, I think I got exactly the game I wanted. Jo Pa left with his dignity, and even had a smile on his face as he fondly patted Saban on the cheek at midfield after the game...and for a moment, you could literally see that once-admiring young boy in Saban's eyes. It was so cool! ~~ROLL TIDE!

Amazing games, wasn't it Dixie? I was there as well. What a great day! Tailgating with delicious food, good friends, and a fantastic game afterwards.

You guys also didn't seem to miss that guy that won that trophy thingy last year either. Richardson is amazing!

Yeah, and his backup, Lacey, is just as good. I told Mott, they are the best stable of running backs in the country, maybe of all-time. Just an awesome package. I'll be glad to get Ingram back, he certainly adds another weapon to the arsenal, but this team, I swear, looks like a championship team. A completely different level of confidence and swagger they just didn't have this time last year. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, if they can run the table and repeat in the big show. There's no doubt Nick Saban has their minds set on doing just that.

Yeah, and his backup, Lacey, is just as good. I told Mott, they are the best stable of running backs in the country, maybe of all-time. Just an awesome package. I'll be glad to get Ingram back, he certainly adds another weapon to the arsenal, but this team, I swear, looks like a championship team. A completely different level of confidence and swagger they just didn't have this time last year. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts, if they can run the table and repeat in the big show. There's no doubt Nick Saban has their minds set on doing just that.

I think the improved passing game opens up a new dimension for our running game. And as tough as the defense looked, we will be better when we get Darius back on the line.

Mallet is the QB that worries me most.

You may not agree with me but I see a lot of potential in that QB at PSU. He went into a lions den in only his second game and showed a lot of potential. Two or Three years from now that kid is going to be a big problem!!

Has anyone checked on Mott today? He may have suffered a massive heart attack Saturday, when Miami nearly took the game back out of the bag.
You must not have been watching the same game. I was certainly unhappy with our special teams play. That needs to be corrected and quickly. Other then that, we beat a better team then PSU and we did so in dominating fashion. To draw comparisons, and it will be interesting to do this again after we play PSU but Bama is certainly stronger then us on special teams and you do have the best stable of RB's in the nation.

On the negative side, OSU's QB is light years ahead of yours (oh and I sure hope McElroy gets his Rhodes scholarship. Who knows, he could be the next Bill Clinton?). Pryor was scary good....So was Denard for that matter. I was particularly impressed on how Pryor slammed the door shut in the last 7 minutes of the game. Miami played a good first quarter but after that it was all OSU. Bama's offense, over all, failed to impress. Two of your scores came off of turnovers and you moved the ball consistantly but had trouble in the red zone. From what I"ve seen yesterday, I like our odds if we played you. :)

Last edited:
You must not have been watching the same game. I was certainly unhappy with our special teams play. That needs to be corrected and quickly. Other then that, we beat a better team then PSU and we did so in dominating fashion. To draw comparisons, and it will be interesting to do this again after we play PSU but Bama is certainly stronger then us on special teams and you do have the best stable of RB's in the nation.

On the negative side, OSU's QB is light years ahead of yours (oh and I sure hope McElroy gets his Rhodes scholarship. Who knows, he could be the next Bill Clinton?). Pryor was scary good....So was Denard for that matter. I was particularly impressed on how Pryor slammed the door shut in the last 7 minutes of the game. Miami played a good first quarter but after that it was all OSU. Bama's offense, over all, failed to impress. Two of your scores came off of turnovers and you moved the ball consistantly but had trouble in the red zone. From what I"ve seen yesterday, I like our odds if we played you. :)

It's good you like the 'odds', because you sure wouldn't like the game. Wow, you must be the only fucktard in the country who wasn't impressed by Alabama's offense. Even the idiot Herbstreit had to give them their due. I think you are only saying that because it pains you to admit they are so good. And no, your QB is nowhere NEAR as good as McElroy. Of course, "good" is a speculative thing, he could be really "good" at butt fucking or something, is that what you meant? As a starting quarterback, McElroy is undefeated since 8th grade, what is YOUR guys record?

As for who is better, Bama or OSU, we'll find out the first of January when we play the BCSNCG... if you cats can make it through your season of cream puffs without one of them beating you.

Our offense failed to impress? lol PSU has gone 117 games without a single 100 yard rusher, and Richardson gets 144? Nothing fancy, just smashed Linebacker U in the mouth. McElroy isn't bombing away for the end zone. But thats not what we want him to do. He played a mistake free game.

Also, Miami's defense isn't Alabama defense, so don't get too comfy with your team's stats.

BTW, did you see what the Michigan QB did to Notre Dame? lol

Our offense failed to impress? lol PSU has gone 117 games without a single 100 yard rusher, and Richardson gets 144? Nothing fancy, just smashed Linebacker U in the mouth. McElroy isn't bombing away for the end zone. But thats not what we want him to do. He played a mistake free game.

Also, Miami's defense isn't Alabama defense, so don't get too comfy with your team's stats.

BTW, did you see what the Michigan QB did to Notre Dame? lol
Hey ya'll played a good game against a good solid defense and scored 24 points. The offense did it's job! When you look at the final score, ultimately that's what matters. What did impress me about Bama was their ability to take the ball away from PSU when PSU threatened to score. Nothing demoralizes a team like having that happen to you. Let's keep things in perspective too. This is not the best PSU team to come down the pike. They are starting a lot of new kids on defense and didn't do to bad all considering. Their offense sucked. The Frosh QB shows lots of potential but he aint up to carrying a team on his shoulders that has no running attack and PSU's running game stinks. The'll be lucky to be bowl eligible this year if they don't improve their ground game.

As for Michigan......Denard sure has impressed. It will be interesting to see how he responds to a good team with a good defense. Guess we'll have to wait till the Iowa game.

Back