August 8th, 1969 50 years ago

dukkha

Verified User
beatles-abbey-road.jpg

Fifty years ago today, on August 8th, 1969, the Beatles walked back and forth across a street they knew well: Abbey Road. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr lined up and crossed a few times, while a cop held up traffic, right outside the studio where they were already booked to show up for work that day. The whole photo session took only 10 minutes.
Yet this became their most iconic image: sky of blue, trees of green. It sums up the sunny confidence of the most popular album the Beatles ever made — which also turned out to be the last.
Abbey Road turned a zebra-stripe crosswalk on an ordinary London street into holy ground.
Oh, that magic feeling.

Fifty years later, the Abbey Road story takes a new turn with the revelatory Super Deluxe Edition, which drops on September 27th in time for the anniversary. It sheds new light on the essential weirdness of this music — how did the Beatles create such warmth and beauty while they were in the middle of breaking up? “It’s the Last Supper,” producer Giles Martin, son of the late George Martin, tells Rolling Stone. “It’s having great sex with an ex-girlfriend. They said, ‘Let’s do one last great thing.’”

The new Abbey Road edition follows the model of the Sgt. Pepper and White Album sets from the past couple of years. And like them, it explores the vaults to find fresh surprises in music you think you already know by heart. It’s the Beatles’ best-selling album —but it’s also a bittersweet finale from four friends preparing to go their separate ways forever. It’s their farewell — but you can also hear the smiles returning to their faces. The last time John, Paul, George and Ringo played together was when they cut “I Want You (She’s So Heavy).” Yet all four were on fire as songwriters — even Ringo, who contributes “Octopus’ Garden.” The music has a childlike warmth. “Abbey Road is a kids’ album,” Martin nods. “Come Together’ is a blues groove — but it’s also my 11-year-old daughter’s favorite Beatle song.”

There’s a new mix from Martin and engineer Sam Okell in stereo, 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos. There’s a coffee-table book with Paul McCartney’s foreword. There’s also 23 outtakes and demos to enhance the original album. Compared to Sgt. Pepper or the White Album, the sessions were orderly and civilized. George Martin, still wary after the madness of 1968, agreed to come back and produce only if they promised to be on their best behavior. So these outtakes don’t include the same kind of far-flung studio experiments. “They’re not really jamming,” Giles Martin says. “It’s not like the White Album — with this record, maybe to protect against arguments, they had a pretty damn good idea about the direction each song was going to go in before they recorded it.”

In early 1969, the Beatles tried to make Get Back, the album that turned into Let It Be. It turned into open warfare, nearly ripping the band apart. It was Paul who talked the others into giving it one more go. “They came in knowing that this was the end,” Martin says. “There was never the illusion that this was going to be the big start of something new.”

But since these four boys were the Beatles, they couldn’t stop showing off — for each other, for the world, for themselves. So facing the final curtain just fired up their competitive edge. “There wasn’t that element of continuation: ‘We’ll put it out, then do something else.’ It wasn’t the White Album, where it feels like, ‘This is where we are right now, and where we’ll be in six months time, who knows, but we’re on this journey and this is part of the journey,’” says Giles Martin. “They knew this was it. The way I would explain it is, you’ve only got a certain number of breaths or heartbeats left in your life, and you want to make sure they’re important. That’s the essence of Abbey Road — they knew how important it was.”

In my opinion, Abbey Road is a tad over-rated. Being the Beatles swan song, I guess I can understand the sentimental value ascribed to it.

But to me, the songs on balance are not as good as previous efforts.

I think White Album, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper are all consistently superior to Abbey Road.

I also think by 1969 the Beatles were being musically eclipsed and outperformed by other prominent 60s Bands - The Stones Beggars Banquette and Let It Bleed are better than anything Beatles released in 68-69, and Fogarty and Creedance Clearwater Revival had firmly established themselves as the premier song writers of authentically original tunes of the late 60s, and the Doors were also peaking. The Who's 1969 Tommy rock opera is also better by a country mile than Abbey Road.

Last edited:
Wow. Awesome story. I never knew.

I love the Beatles.

Too bad they didn't make it to Woodstock, but that allowed Woodstock to be Woodstock, an event that never could have been planned, 'just happened' the way it did, and will never happen again. If the Beatles had been there, it would have changed it drastically, possibly overshadowing what did occur and displacing some of that.

50 years ago today, the organizers of Woodstock were freaking out because they were a week away from the event and they were not ready. They tried their best to plan it, and began building the stage and concert area months ahead, but had to change locations a month out, which meant losing all their work up to that point. they tried their best to do it all over, but with just one week to go, they had to choose between finishing the stage, or building the fencing and gates. They wisely chose the stage. They didn't even really finish the stage they planned, but got enough done to put on the show. Without the gates and fencing done, the crowds quickly figured out they didn't have to pay to get in. The word got out, and the event grew beyond all anticipated proportions.

The organizers were over their heads. They had no real security, only a bunch of commune hippies who calmly dealt with problems by making peaceful suggestions. It was truly extraordinary that 400,000 people could be amassed in a place for 4 days with no security, not enough food, not enough water, not enough toilets or first aid facilities, and no real violence broke out. It could never have been planned to be like that, and thus could never be recreated on purpose. It was a very special moment.

So now we see why the Beatles were not there. They had their hands full creating Abbey Road.

Wow. What an epic time in music history 50 years ago was.

they were young men becoming adults

they had the reflection of saying goodbye to what was their youth as center stage

what made them great as a band is the connections of dear friends and heart felt emotion

remember your friends of youth

High school

college

before 25 the human brain is not finished

It doesn't not properly process risk

think of why insurance cos charge differently once you are 25

under 25 people are more willing to take physical and emotional risks

Its why those emotional bonds seemed sooo much deeper at those ages

you fear less opening your self to others

its the treasure of youth

I makes for GREAT music

try to open your soul

try to risk more and invest more in other human beings

YES YOU WILL GET HURT

but you will also feel so much more alive

there is no love without pain and risk

its the price humans pay for love

In my opinion, Abbey Road is a tad over-rated. Being the Beatles swan song, I guess I can understand the sentimental value ascribed to it.

I think White Album, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper are all consistently superior to Abbey Road.

I also think by 1969 the Beatles were being musically eclipsed and outperformed by other prominent 60s Bands - The Stones Beggars Banquette and Let It Bleed are better than anything Beatles released in 68-69, and Fogarty and Creedance Clearwater Revival had firmly established themselves as the premier song writers of authentically original tunes of the late 60s, and the Doors were also peaking. The Who's 1969 Tommy rock opera is also better by a country mile than Abbey Road.
Let it Bleed is my fave Stones album ( if I had to pick one)..

I find it impossible to compare the White Album with Sgt Peppers or Abby Road.
The tunes on Abby road are pure joy, the White Album a bit edgier, and Sgt Peppers psychdelic

I don't really see how you can say one is better then the other, or even compare the Stones and the Beatles
as they saying goes "it's all good"

Let it Bleed is my fave Stones album ( if I had to pick one)..

I find it impossible to compare the White Album with Sgt Peppers or Abby Road.
The tunes on Abby road are pure joy, the White Album a bit edgier, and Sgt Peppers psychdelic

I don't really see how you can say one is better then the other, or even compare the Stones and the Beatles
as they saying goes "it's all good"

However you slice it, that period of five years, from 1968 to 1972 - in my opinion - were a watershed moment in rock history. More good music and a veritable plethora of iconic bands and singers were at the peak of their game in that short interval of time, and nothing before or since has even come close to replicating that magic. Just my two cents.

USPS-Woodstock-50th-stamp.jpg

https://bestclassicbands.com/woodst...Cnv2MKS6etxycSNqJeb5i7mK0bPN1NaRWIw-aP57S6uu8
Oh, the irony! The ultimate counter-culture event of the ’60s has gotten in bed with “the man”! The U.S. Postal Service held a First Day of Issue today (August 8) for a stamp celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock festival. The dedication ceremony was held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, attended by the Woodstock 1969 festival co-creators and concert producers, Joel Rosenman and Michael Lang.

“It’s an honor and an inspiration to be commemorated by the Postal Service. The USPS Woodstock Forever Stamp is an official acknowledgment of something we have felt for 50 years: Woodstock is ‘Forever,'” said Rosenman.

Lang also shared his thanks to the Postal Service “for helping to deliver Peace, Love and Music.”

News of the stamp was revealed on November 20, 2018, the same day the USPS announced that Marvin Gaye would be the newest addition to its Music Icons series. 1969’s Woodstock Music and Art Fair – known to all, simply, as Woodstock, now has a Forever stamp, in recognition of the festival’s 50th anniversary.

From the original November 20 announcement: “This stamp issuance celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock Music and Art Fair, held in the small farming community of Bethel, New York, in August 1969. It was the most famous rock festival in history and an expression of the youth counterculture of the 1960s.

“The stamp art, designed by art director Antonio Alcalá, features the image of the dove from graphic artist Arnold Skolnick’s promotional 1969 poster for the festival along with some of the poster’s words: ‘3 Days of Peace and Music.’ In the stamp art the words are stacked in the background in brilliant colors along with the year 1969, USA, and Forever (the value of the stamp). The white dove stands in the foreground.”

However you slice it, that period of five years, from 1968 to 1972 - in my opinion - were a watershed moment in rock history. More good music and a veritable plethora of iconic bands and singers were at the peak of their game in that short interval of time, and nothing before or since has even come close to replicating that magic. Just my two cents.
the entire era was a blast to live thru - i remember hearing a new album was coming out by such and such,
and you ran to the record store to buy it's release.

Then you might read a passing review in a mag, or wait for the next Rolling Stone mag to get a review.

There wasn't even an MTV - you could find some videos and performances besides Ed Sullivan
but really word of mouth was how the buzz was passed on

the entire era was a blast to live thru - i remember hearing a new album was coming out by such and such,
and you ran to the record store to buy it's release.

Then you might read a passing review in a mag, or wait for the next Rolling Stone mag to get a review.

There wasn't even an MTV - you could find some videos and performances besides Ed Sullivan
but really word of mouth was how the buzz was passed on

When I was in middle school and high school, disco was trending. So my buddies and I had to look back to the glory days of Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Who, Joplin, Doors, Hendrix as our inspiration.

My father was a concert violinist, so I had a steady diet of the great Russian, German, and Italian composers. But I was always surprised that my Papa - a product of Old World classical legacy - had an abiding respect and affinity for Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Joan Baez, et al. That is how good the 1960 music was: a Russian concert violinist had respect for them. I am pretty sure my Papa would never have had an affinity for Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica in the way he did for the 60s bands.

Wow. Awesome story. I never knew.

I love the Beatles.

Too bad they didn't make it to Woodstock, but that allowed Woodstock to be Woodstock, an event that never could have been planned, 'just happened' the way it did, and will never happen again. If the Beatles had been there, it would have changed it drastically, possibly overshadowing what did occur and displacing some of that.

50 years ago today, the organizers of Woodstock were freaking out because they were a week away from the event and they were not ready. They tried their best to plan it, and began building the stage and concert area months ahead, but had to change locations a month out, which meant losing all their work up to that point. they tried their best to do it all over, but with just one week to go, they had to choose between finishing the stage, or building the fencing and gates. They wisely chose the stage. They didn't even really finish the stage they planned, but got enough done to put on the show. Without the gates and fencing done, the crowds quickly figured out they didn't have to pay to get in. The word got out, and the event grew beyond all anticipated proportions.

The organizers were over their heads. They had no real security, only a bunch of commune hippies who calmly dealt with problems by making peaceful suggestions. It was truly extraordinary that 400,000 people could be amassed in a place for 4 days with no security, not enough food, not enough water, not enough toilets or first aid facilities, and no real violence broke out. It could never have been planned to be like that, and thus could never be recreated on purpose. It was a very special moment.

So now we see why the Beatles were not there. They had their hands full creating Abbey Road.

Wow. What an epic time in music history 50 years ago was.

Got to love their "security," but with whatever how many people showed up the fact they didn't have any violence says something about it, wonder what would have happened if they had the usual security with a highly visible presence

Interesting how the Beatles made it so big early recording what basically was soft pop music when groups as Paul Butterfield released East West in '66 and the Velvet Underground their first album with Heroin on it in '67, both light years advanced in comparison to Beatles music at the time

Hello archives,

Got to love their "security," but with whatever how many people showed up the fact they didn't have any violence says something about it, wonder what would have happened if they had the usual security with a highly visible presence

It probably wouldn't have happened. The PBS Doc on it showed a pic the impromptu crafts and arts area that sprung up and one of the booths was selling pot.

Hello dukkha,

USPS-Woodstock-50th-stamp.jpg

https://bestclassicbands.com/woodst...Cnv2MKS6etxycSNqJeb5i7mK0bPN1NaRWIw-aP57S6uu8
Oh, the irony! The ultimate counter-culture event of the ’60s has gotten in bed with “the man”! The U.S. Postal Service held a First Day of Issue today (August 8) for a stamp celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock festival. The dedication ceremony was held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, attended by the Woodstock 1969 festival co-creators and concert producers, Joel Rosenman and Michael Lang.

“It’s an honor and an inspiration to be commemorated by the Postal Service. The USPS Woodstock Forever Stamp is an official acknowledgment of something we have felt for 50 years: Woodstock is ‘Forever,'” said Rosenman.

Lang also shared his thanks to the Postal Service “for helping to deliver Peace, Love and Music.”

News of the stamp was revealed on November 20, 2018, the same day the USPS announced that Marvin Gaye would be the newest addition to its Music Icons series. 1969’s Woodstock Music and Art Fair – known to all, simply, as Woodstock, now has a Forever stamp, in recognition of the festival’s 50th anniversary.

From the original November 20 announcement: “This stamp issuance celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock Music and Art Fair, held in the small farming community of Bethel, New York, in August 1969. It was the most famous rock festival in history and an expression of the youth counterculture of the 1960s.

“The stamp art, designed by art director Antonio Alcalá, features the image of the dove from graphic artist Arnold Skolnick’s promotional 1969 poster for the festival along with some of the poster’s words: ‘3 Days of Peace and Music.’ In the stamp art the words are stacked in the background in brilliant colors along with the year 1969, USA, and Forever (the value of the stamp). The white dove stands in the foreground.”

Oh, well, it only makes sense a Woodstock stamp would be a forever stamp anyway.

When I was in middle school and high school, disco was trending. So my buddies and I had to look back to the glory days of Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, Who, Joplin, Doors, Hendrix as our inspiration.

My father was a concert violinist, so I had a steady diet of the great Russian, German, and Italian composers. But I was always surprised that my Papa - a product of Old World classical legacy - had an abiding respect and affinity for Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Joan Baez, et al. That is how good the 1960 music was: a Russian concert violinist had respect for them. I am pretty sure my Papa would never have had an affinity for Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica in the way he did for the 60s bands.

"they don't write them like that anymore"

"they don't write them like that anymore"
Too right you are.

My father had a role in US-USSR cultural exchange programs in the late 60s-early 70s, and he helped introduce Soviet audiences to Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Joan Baez.
Those were heady days, because not only was the music and historical context were unprecedented, but this music was explosive - even subversive - in the Soviet Union of those days.
Even as recently as a couple years ago in Russia, I still run into Russians who remembered my father and his role in bringing American and English rock music to a Soviet audience.

I have always maintained that the music of the 60s played a role in undermining and discrediting communism. And in a way that music of no other era or generation could have.

Actually I think Revolver was their best album. It captured the Beatles distinct sound at its peak sans the pretensions of some of their later albums.

Also, Led Zeppelin 1 came out in 69. That was the most influential album of that year in that in the UK Led Zeppelin and in the US Alice Cooper drove a stake through the heart of the Hippie generation and changed Rock forever.

Actually I think Revolver was their best album. It captured the Beatles distinct sound at its peak sans the pretensions of some of their later albums.

Also, Led Zeppelin 1 came out in 69. That was the most influential album of that year in that in the UK Led Zeppelin and in the US Alice Cooper drove a stake through the heart of the Hippie generation and changed Rock forever.

The San Francisco sound was not totally down and out in 1969.

Dead's American Beauty was released in 1970, arguably their best album ever.

I'd disagree, Alice Cooper wasn't anything until the mid seventies and only then when he attained fame for singles getting radio play, strictly a commercial entity

And, to which I'm sure you will disagree, there never was a "hippie" generation, "hippie" was a media term that quickly came to identify any younger person who didn't look like a young Jake Webb

it wasn't the security -there were "1/2 million strong" - it was the times and the vibes.

Altamont was a few months after- the times were still there but hiring the Hell's Angels made it bad

Woodstock had a feeling- a groove- never to be recaptured

I'd disagree, Alice Cooper wasn't anything until the mid seventies and only then when he attained fame for singles getting radio play, strictly a commercial entity

And, to which I'm sure you will disagree, there never was a "hippie" generation, "hippie" was a media term that quickly came to identify any younger person who didn't look like a young Jake Webb
the real word was "freaks" -
that's what we called ourselves after somebody said they looked like a bunch of freaks

Back