APP - Automatic Voter Registration Is Coming. Could Be Bad For Vote-Limiting Republicans.

PoliTalker

Diversity Makes Greatness
15 States and DC already have it:

Automatic Voter Registration

Fifteen states and the District of Columbia have already approved automatic voter registration with more states expected to pass the reform soon.
November 7, 2018

Automatic voter registration (AVR) is an innovative policy that streamlines the way Americans register to vote. AVR makes two simple, yet transformative, changes to the way our country has traditionally registered voters. First, AVR makes voter registration “opt-out” instead of “opt-in”—eligible citizens who interact with government agencies are registered to vote or have their existing registration information updated, unless they affirmatively decline. Again, the voter can opt-out; it is not compulsory registration. Second, those agencies transfer voter registration information electronically to election officials instead of using paper registration forms. These common-sense reforms increase registration rates, clean up the voter rolls, and save states money.

AVR is gaining momentum across the country. Currently fifteen states and D.C. have approved the policy, meaning that over a third of Americans live in a jurisdiction that has either passed or implemented AVR. A brief history of AVR’s legislative victories and each state’s AVR implementation date can be found here. This year alone, twenty states have introduced legislation to implement or expand automatic registration, and an additional eight states had bills carry over from the 2017 legislative session. A full breakdown of these bills, as well as those introduced in 2015, 2016, and 2017, is available here.

Automatic Voter Registration

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

AVR makes so much sense it is a mystery why it took so long, and why it is taking so long for it to be universal in the USA.

And the next thing we need to do is make IRV universal for all Americans.

Instant-runoff voting (IRV) is a type of preferential voting method used in single-seat elections with more than two candidates. Instead of voting only for a single candidate, voters in IRV elections can rank the candidates in order of preference. Ballots are initially counted for each elector's top choice, losing candidates are eliminated, and ballots for losing candidates are redistributed until one candidate is the top remaining choice of a majority of the voters. When the field is reduced to two, it has become an "instant runoff" that allows a comparison of the top two candidates head-to-head.

Compared to plurality voting, IRV can reduce the impact of vote-splitting when multiple candidates earn support from like-minded voters, as long as the spoiler candidates are weak.

Instant Run-off Voting

This also makes ultimate sense. And it will save money, reduce government debt, because no run-off elections would ever need to be held. This is also called Ranked Choice Voting. Maine recently began using this system.

It's good for our country because we need more citizen involvement. Our self-governed 'government by the consent of the governed' is designed to depend on the involvement of the populace. The more involvement, the better it works. This could be bad for government-haters and Republicans bent on suppressing voter turn-out. Generally, the larger the voter turn-out, the more likely a Democratic win.

15 States and DC already have it:

PoliTalker anti-troll thread thief disclaimer: If this thread is stolen, plagiarized, will the thief have the nerve to use the entire OP, word for word? Including this disclaimer? If you want my take on it, you'll have to post to this original PoliTalker thread. I refuse to be an enabler for online bullies, so I won't post to a stolen thread. I won't even read it. If you don't see me, PoliTalker, posting in this thread check the author. This might be a hijacked thread, not the original.

AVR makes so much sense it is a mystery why it took so long, and why it is taking so long for it to be universal in the USA.

And the next thing we need to do is make IRV universal for all Americans.

This also makes ultimate sense. And it will save money, reduce government debt, because no run-off elections would ever need to be held. This is also called Ranked Choice Voting. Maine recently began using this system.

It's good for our country because we need more citizen involvement. Our self-governed 'government by the consent of the governed' is designed to depend on the involvement of the populace. The more involvement, the better it works. This could be bad for government-haters and Republicans bent on suppressing voter turn-out. Generally, the larger the voter turn-out, the more likely a Democratic win.

It's hard for an outsider to understand just how corrupt your electoral system really is? I suspect it's as bad as one could ever imagine in the southern states. Do you think that inbreeding has had an influence on the Republicans, especially in Alabama where it's apparently just fine for a man to marry his sister? Some of the frothing at the mouth, rabid right on this forum seem to indicate that's the norm.

Honestly, I have to start believing the worst and then accept honest correction from there. After all, they elected Trump, a psychopath, a bigamist, a racist, and the worst kind of white trash the could possibly choose for their pres!!

Hello montgomery,

It's hard for an outsider to understand just how corrupt your electoral system really is? I suspect it's as bad as one could ever imagine in the southern states. Do you think that inbreeding has had an influence on the Republicans, especially in Alabama where it's apparently just fine for a man to marry his sister? Some of the frothing at the mouth, rabid right on this forum seem to indicate that's the norm.

Honestly, I have to start believing the worst and then accept honest correction from there. After all, they elected Trump, a psychopath, a bigamist, a racist, and the worst kind of white trash the could possibly choose for their pres!!

OK, ya know?

It's not that bad. Just ask your friends. PLENTY of Canadians visit the USA, and we've got a lot of families mixed across both of our nations.

Every American in the south does not have a Bible in one hand and an assault rifle in the other. There are fare more good Americans than bad. Americans voted against Trump by 3 million votes. Yes, there is gerrymandering. Yes, there is voter suppression. Yes, there is big money to elect big money friendly candidates. And yes, our system takes time to right some wrongs.

Despite Republican voter suppression efforts, America just elected a majority of Democrats in the House. And 3 women in the House who were elected as Republicans in recent years just switched parties and announced they are now Democrats. This recent rise of the Republican Party with President Trump is like the final flash of an incandescent lightbulb burning out. The demographics are swinging heavily into Democrat's favor. We could be witnessing the last mighty dying gasp of the Republican Party.

I think Democrats are going to take it all in 2020. And they are going to be in power when it is time to redraw the districts. So, as they are undoing the gerrymandering (and attempting their own, no doubt,) they will also be undoing all the damage done to voter rights. Perhaps we will go with automatic voter registration. THAT will be a death blow for the Republicans. They register people through their churches and have that religious bond to who they support in cliques. Democrats tend to be more independent. They might have some church bonds, but they are widely varied, all over the place, lots of different kinds of people. If voter registration becomes automatic, that is going to result in bigger election turn-outs. And that usually means better results for Democrats. Which is why Republicans try to limit the size of elections.

Hello montgomery,

OK, ya know?

It's not that bad. Just ask your friends. PLENTY of Canadians visit the USA, and we've got a lot of families mixed across both of our nations.

Every American in the south does not have a Bible in one hand and an assault rifle in the other. There are fare more good Americans than bad. Americans voted against Trump by 3 million votes. Yes, there is gerrymandering. Yes, there is voter suppression. Yes, there is big money to elect big money friendly candidates. And yes, our system takes time to right some wrongs.

Despite Republican voter suppression efforts, America just elected a majority of Democrats in the House. And 3 women in the House who were elected as Republicans in recent years just switched parties and announced they are now Democrats. This recent rise of the Republican Party with President Trump is like the final flash of an incandescent lightbulb burning out. The demographics are swinging heavily into Democrat's favor. We could be witnessing the last mighty dying gasp of the Republican Party.

I think Democrats are going to take it all in 2020. And they are going to be in power when it is time to redraw the districts. So, as they are undoing the gerrymandering (and attempting their own, no doubt,) they will also be undoing all the damage done to voter rights. Perhaps we will go with automatic voter registration. THAT will be a death blow for the Republicans. They register people through their churches and have that religious bond to who they support in cliques. Democrats tend to be more independent. They might have some church bonds, but they are widely varied, all over the place, lots of different kinds of people. If voter registration becomes automatic, that is going to result in bigger election turn-outs. And that usually means better results for Democrats. Which is why Republicans try to limit the size of elections.

Don't try to convince me that there's no problem in the US with crazies slinging their guns and slobbering over their bibles. I know better. And yes, you have a decent factioni that aren't racists but they have fallen to being the minority. Frankly Poli, your country is the biggest enemy of the world.

Democrats aren't coming to the rescue, you haven't been payiing attention. Mueller/the FBI have been tasked with saving the country, not destroying the Repub party. You're looking for a clear victory against Trump and that's not what you're going to get. He'll be eliminated from politics after his term is over and that's the only victory you'll get. The R's will call it a victory too and Trump will claim some facesaver.

Back