Bartenders and Chefs to wear gloves in California?

cawacko

I told my local bar I wasn't coming in anymore until the bartenders started wearing gloves... yeah right! WTF? Figures a guy named Dick Pan would come up with something like this.

Chefs, bartenders give finger to new glove law

The gloves are coming off for San Francisco restaurant and bar workers who vehemently oppose a new state law that requires a latex barrier between them and the food they handle.

The new, controversial law requires all industry workers to wear gloves while working with ready-to-eat foods — including sushi chefs and bartenders who sometimes handle fresh ingredients to garnish drinks.

Introduced by California Assemblyman Richard Pan, the law went into effect with little debate and even less notification after quietly passing in January.

Since then, legions of industry workers who are slowly becoming aware of the requirement have started to organize and give the finger, so to speak, to the glove law. A six-month grace period before the health department must begin issuing citations for noncompliance could give them just enough time to muster a strong movement against it.

“This law just doesn’t make any sense on so many levels,” said Iso Rabins, founder and chef at ForageSF, who is meeting with local officials and rallying support to amend the rule to apply only to restaurants with 25 or more locations.

Beyond the huge environmental impact, extra cost to small businesses and lack of studies behind the efficacy of donning latex to prevent disease, “wearing gloves changes the way food is created,” Rabins said. “It’s hard to season a dish with gloves, it’s hard to feel the food. And it’s just another thing that restaurants can get dinged with.”

To garner support for anti-glovers, Rabins launched a petition on Change.org, arguing that latex “belongs in the bedroom and not the kitchen.” Since going up late Thursday evening, the petition has signed on more than 1,350 passionate supporters who would like to trash the rule.

Another petition started last month by Alameda resident Josh Miller is pushing to only exempt bartenders from the law. That petition has gained more than 11,250 supporters and is looking for about 4,000 more.

Opposing reasons include the mountains of waste that will be created daily by thousands of workers changing gloves every few hours, as the rule requires.

Some opponents of the law claim that people with latex allergies will be negatively affected. Some even warned of potential lawsuits that could come from having food handled by a worker wearing latex that causes an allergic reaction in a customer.

See slideshow for other concerns.

Meanwhile, the Golden Gate Restaurant Association is on a mission to educate restaurants about applying for exemptions to the rule — an onerous process that requires restaurants to adhere to strict training requirements and written guidelines.

The association’s new executive director, Gwyneth Borden, made it clear that she’s not a fan of the law and is looking into what the organization can do to change it.

The bottom line, she said, is that gloves provide a false sense of security. “They don't actually tackle the real problem of ensuring good food safety practices among employees,” she said. “Gloves are not necessarily any cleaner than bare hands.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/02/california-glove-law-ban-san-francisco.html

Cawacko the same needs to go for local burger joints. If you've been to Tams burgers the fucking cooks they are putting your burgers together with their bare hands and wiping the grease, ketschup, mayo or dressing on their apron and continue to fix up your burger so I can imagine how good this is for patrons who are receiving drinks and food from chefs/bartenders. Especially in bars, bartenders try to do everything so fast and sometimes I catch them touching the rim of the glass.

I told my local bar I wasn't coming in anymore until the bartenders started wearing gloves... yeah right! WTF? Figures a guy named Dick Pan would come up with something like this.

Chefs, bartenders give finger to new glove law

The gloves are coming off for San Francisco restaurant and bar workers who vehemently oppose a new state law that requires a latex barrier between them and the food they handle.

The new, controversial law requires all industry workers to wear gloves while working with ready-to-eat foods — including sushi chefs and bartenders who sometimes handle fresh ingredients to garnish drinks.

Introduced by California Assemblyman Richard Pan, the law went into effect with little debate and even less notification after quietly passing in January.

Since then, legions of industry workers who are slowly becoming aware of the requirement have started to organize and give the finger, so to speak, to the glove law. A six-month grace period before the health department must begin issuing citations for noncompliance could give them just enough time to muster a strong movement against it.

“This law just doesn’t make any sense on so many levels,” said Iso Rabins, founder and chef at ForageSF, who is meeting with local officials and rallying support to amend the rule to apply only to restaurants with 25 or more locations.

Beyond the huge environmental impact, extra cost to small businesses and lack of studies behind the efficacy of donning latex to prevent disease, “wearing gloves changes the way food is created,” Rabins said. “It’s hard to season a dish with gloves, it’s hard to feel the food. And it’s just another thing that restaurants can get dinged with.”

To garner support for anti-glovers, Rabins launched a petition on Change.org, arguing that latex “belongs in the bedroom and not the kitchen.” Since going up late Thursday evening, the petition has signed on more than 1,350 passionate supporters who would like to trash the rule.

Another petition started last month by Alameda resident Josh Miller is pushing to only exempt bartenders from the law. That petition has gained more than 11,250 supporters and is looking for about 4,000 more.

Opposing reasons include the mountains of waste that will be created daily by thousands of workers changing gloves every few hours, as the rule requires.

Some opponents of the law claim that people with latex allergies will be negatively affected. Some even warned of potential lawsuits that could come from having food handled by a worker wearing latex that causes an allergic reaction in a customer.

See slideshow for other concerns.

Meanwhile, the Golden Gate Restaurant Association is on a mission to educate restaurants about applying for exemptions to the rule — an onerous process that requires restaurants to adhere to strict training requirements and written guidelines.

The association’s new executive director, Gwyneth Borden, made it clear that she’s not a fan of the law and is looking into what the organization can do to change it.

The bottom line, she said, is that gloves provide a false sense of security. “They don't actually tackle the real problem of ensuring good food safety practices among employees,” she said. “Gloves are not necessarily any cleaner than bare hands.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/02/california-glove-law-ban-san-francisco.html

I disagree with the last line. Although I'm not sure whether the process of making latex-free gloves and packing them in boxes are less likely to contain pathogens I tend to think using gloves are a lot safer than using bare hands and provide more of a comfort as opposed to hoping that the person making your food or drinks display hygenic and sanitary practices. As I've said previously the urge to wipe your hands on clothes is a common practice among food service workers.

The real hilarious thing is that they are just trying to keep it for restaurants with greater than 25 locations because it makes sense for them

This is what we always tell you guys about liberalism

Because this is good for sanitation and to prevent passing on germs from one person to another? You act like average cooks and bartenders are very hygenic.

No, I act like someone who has a decent immune system. Plus California doesn't deserve a star on the American flag. We should just give it back to Mexico.

God I hate my fucking nanny state. Rubber gloves for bartenders and cooks, now they are trying to ban all plastic bags in the state. For once I would like the idiots solve an actual problem people are really concerned about, like jobs.

The real hilarious thing is that they are just trying to keep it for restaurants with greater than 25 locations because it makes sense for them

This is what we always tell you guys about liberalism

Actually a lot resturants are practicing this and the stupid part is you're making this into a political spectacle. It really has nothing to do with politics.

No, I act like someone who has a decent immune system. Plus California doesn't deserve a star on the American flag. We should just give it back to Mexico.

Your body is not "immune" to anything. You are probably less likely to get sick for a variety of reasons but your reasons thereafter really have no merit just hilarious conjecture.

Your body is not "immune" to anything. You are probably less likely to get sick for a variety of reasons but your reasons thereafter really have no merit just hilarious conjecture.

Or the Indians, we can give Cali back to them too. I really don't care, we just need to eject them from our glorious republic lest their festering nanny-statism continue to infect us all.

Or the Indians, we can give Cali back to them too. I really don't care, we just need to eject them from our glorious republic lest their festering nanny-statism continue to infect us all.

Or we could just declare the majority of them as being illegal immigrants and just deport them.
OH-WAIT A MINUTE. :palm:
The majority of them are already illegal immigrants.

Cawacko the same needs to go for local burger joints. If you've been to Tams burgers the fucking cooks they are putting your burgers together with their bare hands and wiping the grease, ketschup, mayo or dressing on their apron and continue to fix up your burger so I can imagine how good this is for patrons who are receiving drinks and food from chefs/bartenders. Especially in bars, bartenders try to do everything so fast and sometimes I catch them touching the rim of the glass.

When I worked in fast food, we always wore gloves in the kitchen, but mainly to keep the germs off of us rather than the other way around (who wants to handle raw chicken with their hands?) The people up front didn't wear gloves, but they handled all the food with tongs, because it was hot.

SD, I have no doubt there are some food joints that are just disgusting and those working there have no real concern for how they treat the food. But I've been going to bars for a long time and have no problems dealing with hundreds or thousands of bartenders not wearing gloves. In theory I understand the idea behind wearing gloves but not in the real world like this bill was written.

Back