Battleship New Jersey begins trip home to Camden after historic dry-dock in Philadelphia

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
It's been nearly three months since Battleship New Jersey embarked on a historic journey, and now she's finally heading back to where she belongs.

The nation's most decorated battleship dry-docked at the Philadelphia Navy Yard back in March to undergo extensive maintenance.

The $10 million project included power washing and sandblasting to remove marine growth and debris; repainting; early warning corrosion system repairs; and inspecting, replacing and welding over more than 160 through-hole openings.

Now the work is done, and the vessel is ready to sail along the Delaware River once again, and find her home dock back in Camden.

The journey home will begin Friday morning as she departs the Philadelphia Navy Yard

for Paulsboro, where she will have ballast work done for the next week.

It's been nearly three months since Battleship New Jersey embarked on a historic journey, and now she's finally heading back to where she belongs.

The nation's most decorated battleship dry-docked at the Philadelphia Navy Yard back in March to undergo extensive maintenance.

The $10 million project included power washing and sandblasting to remove marine growth and debris; repainting; early warning corrosion system repairs; and inspecting, replacing and welding over more than 160 through-hole openings.

Now the work is done, and the vessel is ready to sail along the Delaware River once again, and find her home dock back in Camden.

The journey home will begin Friday morning as she departs the Philadelphia Navy Yard

for Paulsboro, where she will have ballast work done for the next week.

Got to see the USS New Jersey in Vietnam, when it pulled into Vung Ro Bay 1968, it's the biggest ship I've ever seen too?!! It was part of our off shore artillery along with destroyers and cruisers, they had 5 and 8 inch guns and the New Jersey had massive 16 inch guns?!! I glad I was not on the receiving end of these guns?!! You could hear the shells scream overhead on the way to their targets?!!

Got to see the USS New Jersey in Vietnam, when it pulled into Vung Ro Bay 1968, it's the biggest ship I've ever seen too?!! It was part of our off shore artillery along with destroyers and cruisers, they had 5 and 8 inch guns and the New Jersey had massive 16 inch guns?!! I glad I was not on the receiving end of these guns?!! You could hear the shells scream overhead on the way to their targets?!!
I was there in 69 and 72 on the Yankee gun line DD 944 USS Mullinnix ,we were tied up next to NJ in Norfolk VA

Last edited:
Back