Because we could all use more baby Hippos in our lives....

Ya know some moron will see this, get all sentimental about Hippos, go to Africa and approach one and get killed. Hippos are the most dangerous animals to humans in Africa.

Ya know some moron will see this, get all sentimental about Hippos, go to Africa and approach one and get killed. Hippos are the most dangerous animals to humans in Africa.

For some reason, hyenas freak me out much more. They look like hounds from hell!

In my opinion, I actually think wildlife conservationists have done an excellent job over the last generation of educating people about wildlife. I mean, in 1955 people just expected if one went to Yellowstone Park that you should be able to pose next to a grizzly for a photo. I think those days are long gone, and people who actually have the ways and means to travel to Africa, or other eco-tourism destinations are pretty savvy about not infringing on the territorial space of large wild animals.

For some reason, hyenas freak me out much more. They look like hounds from hell!

In my opinion, I actually think wildlife conservationists have done an excellent job over the last generation of educating people about wildlife. I mean, in 1955 people just expected if one went to Yellowstone Park that you should be able to pose next to a grizzly for a photo. I think those days are long gone, and people who actually have the ways and means to travel to Africa, or other eco-tourism destinations are pretty savvy about not infringing on the territorial space of large wild animals.
Oh my gosh, hyenas are one of the few creatures on Earth I don’t care for, either, nasty beasts.

Oh my gosh, hyenas are one of the few creatures on Earth I don’t care for, either, nasty beasts.

I know!
The scientist in my thinks that, much like sharks, they are probably seriously misunderstood and maligned animals....but nonetheless, they look very intimidating to me!

I know!
The scientist in my thinks that, much like sharks, they are probably seriously misunderstood and maligned animals....but nonetheless, they look very intimidating to me!
He can’t deny they are vicious and strange looking.

I know!

They are territorial, and they need waterfront living.
Hippos gotta be hippos. God mande them big so you would know they were there and not to mess with them.

I find this rather curious as having been raised in a rural environment around livestock and wildlife this was something I learned very early. Nature is not one big petting zoo and when you’re outside human habitation you should be acutely aware that you’re part of the food chain.

When I was in college I used to get exasperated by some of my classmates sentimental and naive attitudes towards wildlife. Virtually everything they knew about wildlife came from a book and not actual observation of their behavior.

I find this rather curious as having been raised in a rural environment around livestock and wildlife this was something I learned very early. Nature is not one big petting zoo and when you’re outside human habitation you should be acutely aware that you’re part of the food chain.

When I was in college I used to get exasperated by some of my classmates sentimental and naive attitudes towards wildlife. Virtually everything they knew about wildlife came from a book and not actual observation of their behavior.

Yes, I totally get what you are saying. And I see your points.

I am just a sucker for baby animals!

Nature is obviously brutal, Darwinian if you will. I have a healthy fear of great white sharks, grizzlies, and Siberian tigers...but I have great admiration for them, think they are amazing animals, and support conservation efforts to save them and their habitat.

I went to a talk Dr. Jane Goodall gave years ago, and you know what struck me about her? Yes, she was really almost sort of sentimental about the chimpanzees that she studied and lived with...but the scientist in her was fully capable of observing and describing some of the more shocking things that happen in chimpanzee communities...(shocking to human minds of course, to a chimpanzee they make perfect sense and are part of the cycle of survival)

Yes, I totally get what you are saying. And I see your points.

I am just a sucker for baby animals!

Nature is obviously brutal, Darwinian if you will. I have a healthy fear of great white sharks, grizzlies, and Siberian tigers...but I have great admiration for them, think they are amazing animals, and support conservation efforts to save them and their habitat.

I went to a talk Dr. Jane Goodall gave years ago, and you know what struck me about her? Yes, she was really almost sort of sentimental about the chimpanzees that she studied and lived with...but the scientist in her was fully capable of observing and describing some of the more shocking things that happen in chimpanzee communities...(shocking to human minds of course, to a chimpanzee they make perfect sense and are part of the cycle of survival)
Oh chimps are fascinating animals but vicious to say the least. Chimps are known to chase down and kill leopards. Not to mention murder and cannibalize their own.

Babies of pretty much any species are cute as heck and often tasty.

Oh chimps are fascinating animals but vicious to say the least. Chimps are known to chase down and kill leopards. Not to mention murder and cannibalize their own.

Babies of pretty much any species are cute as heck and often tasty.
They are also known to rip faces off of people.

Back