Beer Review: Harpoon Celtic Ale

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
God I love summer. While I traditionally feel the best varieties of beer don't appear until fall, summer seems to have the widest variety and the best atmosphere to drink them in. In fact, I'd dare to say that other than bikinis, beer is the only thing I prefer about summer over the other seasons.

On my way home from work I decided to shop around a bit, see if there were any hidden treasures in my area. Found a pawn shop that actually is reasonable with guns, which is no small feat at any time, but especially in this election cycle. But more importantly, I found a liquor store that allows you to mix your own 6 pack. And the selection is fucking awesome. So $25 later, I have a mixed 6er. Expect reviews fairly frequently.

Tonight we're kicking the weekend off with a MA beer. Harpoon makes a decent lager, nothing especially special about it, but it's a good standard fair. So with that in mind I figured I'd try their Irish Red. Let's see if it can pass muster.

Poured into a 12oz pilsner glass

6837544924_59fd1bf34d_z.jpg

A: Dark copper colored and pretty transparent head starts out a nice off white at 3 fingers and dissipates to about 1 finger in height. Good mix of small and large bubbles and carbonation is certainly not lacking. Leaves slight fingers around the glass, but nothing too serious.

N: Even with my head cold I could smell the hops upon opening the bottle. Not over powering mind you, but that good crisp aroma that wafts off a fresh beer. The kind of smell that makes your mouth water because you automatically know it'll be worth the $2.00 you paid for the bottle. Upon closer inspection the malt character isn't lacking either. It has a good balance with no noticeable alcohol, and just a hint of sweetness. Honestly, and it might just be me, but this is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Can't place my finger on why though.

T: Hmmmm. Light flavor. The nose made me think it was going to be more full bodied on the taste buds. Not complaining by any means, the hops and malt balance nicely and there is no noticeable alcohol here either. Slight roasted character towards the back that lingers for a moment, but beyond that unremarkable.

M: Light. Very light. In fact I'd go so far to say that it feels light on the mouth than actual light beers. Carbonation isn't as apparent but still makes its presence known on the swallow. Not surprisingly, there is no burn or any note of alcohol here either. So far I'd say it's pretty true to the style and the brewery.

D: High. The light body, moderate flavor, and low alcohol make this a good beer for summer. I could probably drink a case of this over the night if I were so inclined. Would pair well with most barbeque, or possibly fried fish (with chips of course[fries]).

Overall this is a moderate style beer. I'm used to bigger and bolder beers so I was a little underwhelmed with this tasting. That's not a slight at the beer though. It's certainly good and for the price and style, it's exactly what it should be. Honestly I'd like to see more offerings like this from brewers. Bigger is nice at times, but most days I just want something that tastes good and quenches my thirst. Harpoon Celtic Ale is certainly that.

Back