Beer Review: Purple Gang Pilsner

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
I know my fans have been waiting on edge for another beer review. Between work and school though, I've barely had time to drink at all, let alone find a new beer to try. But today felt special, so I went out of my way to try something. And that something is another MI local, fresh from the Atwater Brewery. Pilsners are ideal summer beers, and today is just warm enough to justify it. So let's begin...

A: Straw colored, with a very rich white creamy head. Bubbles are very tight and settle at 1/2 finger in height. Dissipation is low, and color eventually turns a tad more golden as the beer settles. Slight opacity. Man as I write this I'm waiting for the head to go down. Lacing is heavy.

N: Typical hops with a good malt back. Nose is prominent but not overtly strong. No noticeable alcohol. So far seems like a great pilsner representation, with balance being the key word here.

T: Very light in flavor, but enough malt sweetness upfront to differentiate itself from the more common macros. Hops just enough to leave a small bitterness at the end. No alcohol here either.

M: Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Hops is just enough at the end to make me want more. FEELS (not tastes) almost like water going down.

D: HIGH. Really, fucking, high. Seriously, I could drink the 6er I bought by days end.

Overall, I can't honestly understand why people drink stuff like Bud Light instead of this. Light bodied with good balanced taste and low alcohol? This is probably gonna be my summer staple. I'd pair it well with most food, especially steak or a burger fresh off the grill.

a804be1660bf5ef1481c300747d44de0_320x320.jpg

I know my fans have been waiting on edge for another beer review. Between work and school though, I've barely had time to drink at all, let alone find a new beer to try. But today felt special, so I went out of my way to try something. And that something is another MI local, fresh from the Atwater Brewery. Pilsners are ideal summer beers, and today is just warm enough to justify it. So let's begin...

A: Straw colored, with a very rich white creamy head. Bubbles are very tight and settle at 1/2 finger in height. Dissipation is low, and color eventually turns a tad more golden as the beer settles. Slight opacity. Man as I write this I'm waiting for the head to go down. Lacing is heavy.

N: Typical hops with a good malt back. Nose is prominent but not overtly strong. No noticeable alcohol. So far seems like a great pilsner representation, with balance being the key word here.

T: Very light in flavor, but enough malt sweetness upfront to differentiate itself from the more common macros. Hops just enough to leave a small bitterness at the end. No alcohol here either.

M: Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Hops is just enough at the end to make me want more. FEELS (not tastes) almost like water going down.

D: HIGH. Really, fucking, high. Seriously, I could drink the 6er I bought by days end.

Overall, I can't honestly understand why people drink stuff like Bud Light instead of this. Light bodied with good balanced taste and low alcohol? This is probably gonna be my summer staple. I'd pair it well with most food, especially steak or a burger fresh off the grill.

What European lager would you compare it with?

what is the alcohol content? you talked about it, but i didn't see where you stated the actual content. i'm interested as i usually prefer medium alcohol content beers.

what is the alcohol content? you talked about it, but i didn't see where you stated the actual content. i'm interested as i usually prefer medium alcohol content beers.

Doesn't say, i'd guess around 5.4%, which is decidedly average.

I want one! I am thirty now and wnt a burger! Thanks, great review, I look forward to them.

They should replace "Pilsner" with "Banger," and just indicate that it is a premium pilsner, or whatever.

Pretty sure the Purple Gang Banger would sell like crazy.

Plus, it's Detroit, so everyone can relate. :cool:

Doesn't say, i'd guess around 5.4%, which is decidedly average.

i think that is medium. i've seen beers with a below 4% AC. 5.4% is where i like it. come winter, i like the winter ales at around 6%.

have you ever tried those hard core ales at 12%? i did once and got immediately sick.

i think that is medium. i've seen beers with a below 4% AC. 5.4% is where i like it. come winter, i like the winter ales at around 6%.

have you ever tried those hard core ales at 12%? i did once and got immediately sick.

I've had 22% ABV beer before. 12% is nothing for me, I love RIS beers and the like.

Back