Best BBQ?

Who has the best BBQ in the US?

• Total voters
You're trying to start a war aren't you?

I've actually had BBQ in all 4 locations as well as some others. BBQ is really to general. It's a method and style of cooling not a recipe.

Best spare/babyback ribs? Memphis. Rendevous and Neely's both kick ass. (gotta give some love to Jim's Ribs in Rock Island Illinois too!)

Pulled pork bbq? North Carolina, hands down! Try Bubba's on Beatties Ford in Charlotte....better get there early.

Beef Brisket? Them Texicans got it flat footed goin on. I doubt you can do better than the Salt Lick in Driftwood just outside of Austin. One of the last open pit BBQ's in the nation. There home made smoked sausage is righteous too. I went to Austin last year for a seminar and went out of my way to go to the Salt Lick. Damn glad I did too.

Beef Ribs? Jack Stack in Kansas City are the best I ever had. Finger licken good with that sweet sauce and these melt in your mouth ribs look like they come off a brontosaurus.

Best BBQ Chicken? - Phoenix City, Alabama. Went to some hole in the wall place with my cousin and they had this BBQ chicken basted in some sort of white sauce that was like no other BBQ chicken I ever had. Good eats man

Best whole hog? Ya'll in the south aint gonna like this but the best whole hog I ever had in my life wasn't even in the US. The best BBQ whole hog I ever had was some lechon I tried in the Philippines. That skin! OMG! It's the like a piece of pork candy. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it. It's skin is bronze and crisp, crunchy and fatty and just so unbelievably porky good and the meat....it was soooo melt in your mouth tender, moist and flavorful that the only an idiot would think about putting sauce on it. By far the best whole hog I ever had and to watch the effort the cooks put into cooking it....it was bbq virtuosity. Those Pinoy's cooking it knew what they were doing. They made a cynder block pit then burned hard wood in it all night to make coals, then the trussed up the hog on bamboo skewers and would rotate it about every 15 minutes keeping a close eye on it to make sure the skin was browning evenly and perfectly. They did that for over 12 hours basting it occasionally with 7-Up till it was just....well...perfect.

3513151195_a804cfa815.jpg

My over all vote for best in the US goes to Memphis though as they have the most variety and consistent high quality all over the region.

Last edited:

I've actually had BBQ in all 4 locations as well as some others. BBQ is really to general. It's a method and style of cooling not a recipe.

Best spare/babyback ribs? Memphis. Rendevous and Neely's both kick ass. (gotta give some love to Jim's Ribs in Rock Island Illinois too!)

Pulled pork bbq? North Carolina, hands down! Try Bubba's on Beatties Ford in Charlotte....better get there early.

Beef Brisket? Them Texicans got it flat footed goin on. I doubt you can do better than the Salt Lick in Driftwood just outside of Austin. One of the last open pit BBQ's in the nation. There home made smoked sausage is righteous too. I went to Austin last year for a seminar and went out of my way to go to the Salt Lick. Damn glad I did too.

Beef Ribs? Jack Stack in Kansas City are the best I ever had. Finger licken good with that sweet sauce and these melt in your mouth ribs look like they come off a brontosaurus.

Best BBQ Chicken? - Phoenix City, Alabama. Went to some hole in the wall place with my cousin and they had this BBQ chicken basted in some sort of white sauce that was like no other BBQ chicken I ever had. Good eats man

Best whole hog? Ya'll in the south aint gonna like this but the best whole hog I ever had in my life wasn't even in the US. The best BBQ whole hog I ever had was some lechon I tried in the Philippines. That skin! OMG! It's the like a piece of pork candy. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it. It's skin is bronze and crisp, crunchy and fatty and just so unbelievably porky good and the meat....it was soooo melt in your mouth tender, moist and flavorful that the only an idiot would think about putting sauce on it. By far the best whole hog I ever had and to watch the effort the cooks put into cooking it....it was bbq virtuosity. Those Pinoy's cooking it knew what they were doing. They made a cynder block pit then burned hard wood in it all night to make coals, then the trussed up the hog on bamboo skewers and would rotate it about every 15 minutes keeping a close eye on it to make sure the skin was browning evenly and perfectly. They did that for over 12 hours basting it occasionally with 7-Up till it was just....well...perfect.

My over all vote for best in the US goes to Memphis though as they have the most variety and consistent high quality all over the region.

Mmmm. Barbecued pig. It is very common here. Everytime a major construction project breaks the first ground there is what is called a 'Bai San'. A barbecued (well actually strictly speaking not, they are hung in great pits but the result is to die for) pig is displayed with joss sticks, wine and often oranges, as a mark of respect to the gods that own the land.The boss takes a number of joss sticks and bows to the altar before someone comes in with a bloody great chopper (the chopping kind) and hacks the entire beast into melt-in-the mouth bite sized chunks. Beer flows like water (some tastes like water too) and if you are sober and hungry at the end you didnt do it right!
The process is repeated when the contract is complete but it is called something else which I forget. Still a pig by any name would taste as sweet.
But the best BBQs, by far, are the Aussie ones. Let me try to paint the picture.
A garden. At one end stands the barbie and next to it is a table groaning with the food to be prepared. Seated round the table are the dutiful wives. At the other end of the garden is a stack of beer in slabs, maybe as tall as a man. It is difficult to see because it is draped in the semi reclining, be-shorted figures of the men folk.
When the food is ready, a volunteer lady brings it on trays to the men who might, but only might, express their thanks.
Husbands will next speak to their wives as they hand over the car keys to be driven home.
That's a barbie!

Jesus fucking christ. Kill yourself.

I'm probably going to be disowned by all my friends in Davidson and Charlotte for my post so I'd probably better promise to take them all to Bubba's next time I visit.

Back