Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harrison > Lenin > McCartney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1) McCartney
2) Lennon (close to McCartney)
3) Harrison
4) Starr

Ok, he did write two songs. I don't really think he needs to be added, though, since those two songs were nowhere near the top of what the Beatles did.

Whenever Harrison did write, he wrote some beautiful songs. "Here Comes the Sun" comes to mind. Lenin was darker and more of a rebel, but I think everyone would generally realize that what McCartney did for the Beatles was better stuff.

1. Lennon/McCartney
2. Harrison
3. McCartney
4. Lennon
5. Starr

The Lennon/McCartney collaborations were some of the best of the group's work.

If we consider it that way...
1) Lennon/McCartney
2) McCartney
3) Lennon
4) Harrison
5) Starr

I didn't know Ringo had written any songs, and still, with only one good song (that Harrison helped him out with), it's pretty much a given that everyone will choose him last.

He actually collaborated on several beetles songs. The line in Elanor Rigby, 'darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there' was Ringo's contribution, and there were several other Beatles songs based on his expressions, like "it's a hard day's night", was something he said. After the Beatles, he had several hits, It Don't Come Easy, Photograph, You're Sixteen, Backoff Boogaloo.

I agree that he was probably the 4th best songwriter of the group though. I actually think Harrison was the best individual songwriter, but you just can't argue with a Lennon/McCartney tune.

I guess I consider McCartney & Lennon better than Harrison because of their subsequent solo work.

Harrison's work with Ravi Shankar was interesting but not really my cup of tea.

His Here Comes the Sun was probably my favorite.

I was waiting for someone to nominate Billy Shears as a great song writer. :rolleyes:

He actually collaborated on several beetles songs. The line in Elanor Rigby, 'darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there' was Ringo's contribution, and there were several other Beatles songs based on his expressions, like "it's a hard day's night", was something he said. After the Beatles, he had several hits, It Don't Come Easy, Photograph, You're Sixteen, Backoff Boogaloo.

I agree that he was probably the 4th best songwriter of the group though. I actually think Harrison was the best individual songwriter, but you just can't argue with a Lennon/McCartney tune.

I'm sorry, I'm not really an expert on the Beatles, and you have about forty years on me with this anyway. I just assumed that he never wrote any songs because I had never heard any of them, and I didn't want to crowd up my options any more than necessary.

I kind of have a thing for Harrison myself, but overall I think at least McCartney was a better songwriter. Of course, maybe I'm a bit biased. Lenin's tunes always seemed to me to be a little more complex, and you really have to listen to them a few times, while McCartney's tunes are poppy and easily understandable, and I haven't listened to the Beatles much. I'm talking out of my ass with that though. I've literally only listened to two Harrison songs that I can think of.

Individually, I'd place McCartney's song writing over them all.

But it was their collaborations - in which all were involved for one song or another - that their work really shone.

Harrison was not very prolific - especially after the Beatles - but what he did turn out I really like a lot.

Lennon had his moments, but his post-Beatles stuff was, IMO, too much (negatively) flavored by his relationship with Ono.

Starr was and is a goof ball. Not much of a song writer by himself, but did add good flavor to stuff he collaborated on.

Last edited:
Could someone please change "Lenin" to "Lennon"?

The spelling of the Russian guy is stuck in my reflexive memory, and whenever I don't pay attention to what I'm writing I write "Lenin" instead of "Lennon" because they sound the same.

IMHO they all sucked. they don't rate in my book.
I do however realize it is fashionable and patriotic to honor the Beatles.

btw I don't think they all lived in a little yellow submarine either.

Back