Best Comic Strips Ever!

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
This is a tough one. Which comic strips do you think have been the best 5 of all time?

Here's my list.

#1. The Far Side - Don Larson. Most science geeks and techies I know consider this the best comic strip of all time. How he could consistantly put a premise, set up and punch line in one panel as consistantly as he did was amazing...and funny as hell.

#2. Calvin and Hobbes - Bill Watterson. The best combination of art and humor I've ever seen in a comic strip.

#3. Pogo - Walt Kelly. Pogo had it all. Social commentary, political satire, slapstick humor, great poetry, whimsy, word play and great art.

#4. Doonesbury - Gary Trudeu. No one has blurred the line between comic strip and editorial cartoon like Trudeau has and love him or hate him his track record for being relevent, for as long as he has, exceeds all others.

#5. Peanuts - Charles Schults. Yea....I know...Peanuts lost a lot of relevency in the last half of Schultz career but the first half of his career more than compensates for that. It would be hard to argue with Schultz success and influence. It's hard not to relate to that loveable loser Charlie Brown.

Honorable Mention;

Bloom County - Bearkly Breathed. No one has taken social satire and subversiveness to the heights that Breathed has and got away with it, taking on all comers, for as long as he has. Love his work...and Yes...I voted for Bill the Cat.

Last edited:
How about Garfield minus Garfield?

tumblr_mwfqaccbm51qz8z2ro1_500.png

They did run as a panel in Playboy or was it Penthouse?

Don't remember for sure; but they did have a series of underground publications.
I went and saw Fritz the Cat, when it was released, at the old Fox Theater in down town Phoenix.
When he got out of the VW, looked around, and said "Well, Fuck a Duck"; I literally fell out of my seat laughing.
The "cast of characters" was funnier then all get out.

It's a tough decision between Bloom, Far Side, Doonesbury, and Calvin. Since Doonesbury's the only one still around (and I read it religiously when my right wing newspaper allows it), I'll pick it.

But, for obvious reasons, THIS is one of my favorite cartoons of all time.

3WQZciz.gif

Just got done rereading LotR. GoT is so inferior, reminds me of all the reasons I hate my age and my generation and generally don't read anything less than 50 years old.

1. Dennis the Menace
2. Peanuts
3. Calvin and Hobbs
4. The Far Side
5. Bloom County

HM - Family Circus

This is a tough one. Which comic strips do you think have been the best 5 of all time?

Here's my list.

#1. The Far Side - Don Larson. Most science geeks and techies I know consider this the best comic strip of all time. How he could consistantly put a premise, set up and punch line in one panel as consistantly as he did was amazing...and funny as hell.

#2. Calvin and Hobbes - Bill Watterson. The best combination of art and humor I've ever seen in a comic strip.

#3. Pogo - Walt Kelly. Pogo had it all. Social commentary, political satire, slapstick humor, great poetry, whimsy, word play and great art.

#4. Doonesbury - Gary Trudeu. No one has blurred the line between comic strip and editorial cartoon like Trudeau has and love him or hate him his track record for being relevent, for as long as he has, exceeds all others.

#5. Peanuts - Charles Schults. Yea....I know...Peanuts lost a lot of relevency in the last half of Schultz career but the first half of his career more than compensates for that. It would be hard to argue with Schultz success and influence. It's hard not to relate to that loveable loser Charlie Brown.

Honorable Mention;

Bloom County - Bearkly Breathed. No one has taken social satire and subversiveness to the heights that Breathed has and got away with it, taking on all comers, for as long as he has. Love his work...and Yes...I voted for Bill the Cat.

Gotta go:

1...Calvin & Hobbes

2...Bloom County

3...Far Side

4...Garfield

5...Tumbleweeds

...you don't find Tumbleweeds anywhere anymore but I LOVED this one when I was a kid!

There's another one I like. Pickles. It's about a nice older boomers couple raising the grandson their loser milennial child tossed aside.

Funky Winkerbean stands out as one of my favorites. Remember when Les lost Lisa to cancer then the strip fast forwarded some 15-16 years?

Back