Best LBJ Book

Anyone have a recommendation for the best book on LBJ's Presidency? Thanks.

The best one on his Presidency hasn't been written yet. If you can hold out and this isn't for a project, I cannot recommend highly enough Robert Caro's LBJ books. He has already completed three volumes, two of which won Pulitzers. If you start out with The Path to Power, you could get away with skipping the second volume and moving ahead to Master of the Senate, which is the third volume.

The fourth and last volume will be about his Presidency and is one of the most highly-anticipated books ever. It's possible it comes out next year, but it might not be till 2013. He's writing it now, and they take years. But in 2009 he said 3 or 4 more years, so 012 is possible. I can't wait!

I think I saw a book at Fred Meyers once that was dedicated to conspiracy theorizing that LBJ had Kennedy killed. I just laughed and told everyone LBJ was too inept to pull off something like that. :cof1:

The best one on his Presidency hasn't been written yet. If you can hold out and this isn't for a project, I cannot recommend highly enough Robert Caro's LBJ books. He has already completed three volumes, two of which won Pulitzers. If you start out with The Path to Power, you could get away with skipping the second volume and moving ahead to Master of the Senate, which is the third volume.

The fourth and last volume will be about his Presidency and is one of the most highly-anticipated books ever. It's possible it comes out next year, but it might not be till 2013. He's writing it now, and they take years. But in 2009 he said 3 or 4 more years, so 012 is possible. I can't wait!

Those are massive 1,000 page books aren't they? I am familiar with those. I just finished a new book on Eisenhower called The White House Years and it has me in the mood to read about LBJ. Should I just wait for that new Caro book to come out?

Those are massive 1,000 page books aren't they? I am familiar with those. I just finished a new book on Eisenhower called The White House Years and it has me in the mood to read about LBJ. Should I just wait for that new Caro book to come out?

Well, since you probably aren't interested in his rise to power, I really don't think you'd regret starting with Master of the Senate Cawacko. It's one of the best political books I've read. It's volume three.

Well, since you probably aren't interested in his rise to power, I really don't think you'd regret starting with Master of the Senate Cawacko. It's one of the best political books I've read. It's volume three.

Thanks. I was reading the reviews on Amazon for Caro's books and it sounds like he moved to Johnson's hometown in Texas for five years to study him better? Wow. That's a lot of dedication to a subject. No wonder his books have received such rave reviews.

I forget how many pages, but yes, it's big. I don't know about a 1,000 pages, I don't think it's that big.

According to Amazon it's 1,232. Wow! I'm sure maybe even a couple hundred pages may be footnotes but that is a big book! (This is the paperback version)

According to Amazon it's 1,232. Wow! I'm sure maybe even a couple hundred pages may be footnotes but that is a big book! (This is the paperback version)

I have the hard cover, when I get home I'll check because I'm curious now. I didn't think it was over a 1,000 pages, that is big. But you can handle it Cawacko! Or, check out the Dallek books on Amazon.

I have the hard cover, when I get home I'll check because I'm curious now. I didn't think it was over a 1,000 pages, that is big. But you can handle it Cawacko! Or, check out the Dallek books on Amazon.

Is Dallek's 'Portrait of a President' a stand alone book or is part of a series? Thanks for you suggestions on all this by the way!

Is Dallek's 'Portrait of a President' a stand alone book or is part of a series? Thanks for you suggestions on all this by the way!

I've never read it, I just went and looked, and it's an abridged version of his classic two-volume biography, which I did read, Lone Star Rising and Flawed Giant. So that's definitely an option, the other option is just get Flawed Giant since you are most interested in his White House years, that's the one for that.

I've never read it, I just went and looked, and it's an abridged version of his classic two-volume biography, which I did read, Lone Star Rising and Flawed Giant. So that's definitely an option, the other option is just get Flawed Giant since you are most interested in his White House years, that's the one for that.

Thanks for your help Darla. I am going to order one of these books.

You know what's funny, the other day I was trying to find something in my email and I came across this old conversation Tiana and I had about Cawacko being an undercover hottie. That's a stealth hottie for you idiots - someone you didn't picture as hot but then find out they are. This was back when Cawacko did his striptease for us I think. Anyway it made me laugh.

And now he's reading books! He's come along way from the happy-go-lucky drunken, 3am driveby poster we used to know! But I bet we all miss those posts. LOL It's still nice to wake up and find a Cawacko post about LBJ. I mean, that's cool. That's the kind of stuff we're supposed to be talking about here!

You know what's funny, the other day I was trying to find something in my email and I came across this old conversation Tiana and I had about Cawacko being an undercover hottie. That's a stealth hottie for you idiots - someone you didn't picture as hot but then find out they are. This was back when Cawacko did his striptease for us I think. Anyway it made me laugh.

And now he's reading books! He's come along way from the happy-go-lucky drunken, 3am driveby poster we used to know! But I bet we all miss those posts. LOL It's still nice to wake up and find a Cawacko post about LBJ. I mean, that's cool. That's the kind of stuff we're supposed to be talking about here!

Well, reading LBJ is the historical equivilent of lowbrow reading, seeing as how its fucking LBJ... :cof1:

Back