Best "tax" ever?

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1
Americans spent nearly $1.5 billion for a chance to hit the jackpot, which amounts to a $462 million lump sum and around $347 million after federal tax withholding. With the jackpot odds at 1 in 176 million, it would cost $176 million to buy up every combination. Under that scenario, the strategy would win $171 million less if your state also withholds taxes.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kan-ill-md-tickets-share-lottery-jackpot-120924228.html

Someone once told me that the lottery is a tax on people who suck at math. I always liked that.

Someone once told me that the lottery is a tax on people who suck at math. I always liked that.

nice. i think most people play just for fun. in grad school i would buy X tickets a month in order to think about something other than school. if i ended up in the negative by $10, i would quit for the month. i only had to quit 3 months out of 3 years. i tried to figure out if i actually came out ahead or broke even...but by my third year i stopped keeping track and stopped my $10 loss limit.

oh well, it was fun and when you win $24 by scratching 4 - $6 - on a ticket it does make you smile.

I only play $10 to $20 for large jack pots. I should probably play the smaller ones. I could imagine how disruptive, and not in a good way, winning a couple of hundred million could be for someone who is not prepared for the responsibility and reality of managing that kind of money.

So what would you do to manage your money if you won $200 million?

First I would hire a financial consultant to help manage the money.
Next I would hire an independant accounting firm to audit the finances, taxes and the financial consultant.
Next I would place a qualified attourney on retainer to look after my finances and to protect investments from fraud.
Next I would invest in liability insurance to protect myself and family from ambulance chasers.
Next I would create a holding company to manage that money. Probably a limited liability corporation.
Next I would investigate initial low risk investments such as dividend paying blue chip stocks, bonds, hedge funds until I had educated my self on finance.
Next I would enroll in a university level program in finance, preferably leading towards an MBA in finance.
Next I would open an office for the holding company and make tracking my finances and my education in finance my primary full time job.
Next I would create a monthly budget of $20,000/month and I would live within that budget. Part of that budget would include retirement investment and estate planning.
Next I would purchase a new home, no big mansion, but a nice home in a secured gated community with limited access in which to make it easier to protect myself and family from ambulance chasers and scammers.
Next I would hire a security consultant.
Only after all this would I go on a shopping trip. I'd buy a big diamond for my wife. I'd buy a couple of new cars. Nothing over the top but nothing cheap either. I'd probably get myself a Caddilac SVT and the wife a car of her choice (though nothing over $50,000). I'd also get that $7000 Colnago Master Light with Super Record I've always wanted. I'd buy new furniture and clothes too but I'm not getting crazy. Even with $200 million dollars I only plan on living an upper middle class life style until I learn how to competently manage $200,000,000 dollars.

I wouldn't worry about that. Once I buy a house, a car, and a truck, I don't really see myself making any large personal expenditures for some time...

I wouldn't worry about that. Once I buy a house, a car, and a truck, I don't really see myself making any large personal expenditures for some time...
How about when some scam artist tries to sue you for a few of those millions? That could be a large expenditure. You can't just plunk that money down in a savings account. What if the bank goes under?

How about when some scam artist tries to sue you for a few of those millions? That could be a large expenditure. You can't just plunk that money down in a savings account. What if the bank goes under?

Good points. Diversity of investments, proper guidance until you learn what you are doing, and protection from liability are all important facets of this kind of winnings.

You could put it in multiple banks so you are protected by FDIC in each one. No one has ever lost FDIC insured money. If things get bad enough that the FDIC seriously does go down, clearly, it is the end of the US economy anyway, and you have bigger things to worry about than just your money, like erecting barricades to ward of the hordes of zombies.

Anyway, I would probably do some investment with my money along your lines (not redoing my college education or anything like that though). Even though it is more money than I could foresee uses for, it would just feel wasteful to keep it in a savings account.

Also, here's a pro-tip: most financial managers know that they can earn an impressive yield by just betting the market, and that's generally what they do, besides taking a little off the top. You may as well skip the middle man and just bet the market. Is there a secret to the market out there? Well, Warren Buffet seems pretty good at it - but clearly, he is not an easy person to model. Otherwise, he wouldn't be rich. Mostly, it is just randomness that trends upwards, and there is very little real skill involved. There is no worse way to approach the market than to do so as a gambler approaches dice. Of course, since in this case things tend to trend upward, you will probably make money in the long run, but it is probably not because those dice were hot.

You could put it in multiple banks so you are protected by FDIC in each one. No one has ever lost FDIC insured money. If things get bad enough that the FDIC seriously does go down, clearly, it is the end of the US economy anyway, and you have bigger things to worry about than just your money, like erecting barricades to ward of the hordes of zombies.

Anyway, I would probably do some investment with my money along your lines (not redoing my college education or anything like that though). Even though it is more money than I could foresee uses for, it would just feel wasteful to keep it in a savings account.

Also, here's a pro-tip: most financial managers know that they can earn an impressive yield by just betting the market, and that's generally what they do, besides taking a little off the top. You may as well skip the middle man and just bet the market. Is there a secret to the market out there? Well, Warren Buffet seems pretty good at it - but clearly, he is not an easy person to model. Otherwise, he wouldn't be rich. Mostly, it is just randomness that trends upwards, and there is very little real skill involved. There is no worse way to approach the market than to do so as a gambler approaches dice. Of course, since in this case things tend to trend upward, you will probably make money in the long run, but it is probably not because those dice were hot.
That's fine for stocks but you still need to diversify your holdings.

My point is that managing that kind of money can be an overwhelming responsibility for someone who is not prepared for it. I would make preparing myself a full time job until I felt I was competent at it.

1) Hire hitman to deal with scum artist.
2) Open multiple savings accounts in several banks (especially banks I have already seen the government support).

Furthermore, I would continue to invest more and more money into Roths, and I might stay in the Guard but revert to Drill Status, and then just allocate 100% of my basic pay toward my TSP every month...

1) Hire hitman to deal with scum artist.
2) Open multiple savings accounts in several banks (especially banks I have already seen the government support).

Furthermore, I would continue to invest more and more money into Roths, and I might stay in the Guard but revert to Drill Status, and then just allocate 100% of my basic pay toward my TSP every month...
Yeah right. We'd find you dead six weeks later in the champaign room at Caberets Gentlemans club with a huge smile on your face.

Back